Gen 3 Roof Rack Options

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
My opinion...

With the very narrow options... the cost of purchase... the desired use...

I would seriously consider having a rack custom-built. Plenty of talent out there, and competitive pricing.

We just [had] built a rack [96"L x 50"W x 12"H] for ours [Gen 2.5]... for lesser demands/ lighter loads I would strongly consider a simple/ flat/ aluminum rack.

Check out the "aluminum ATV ramp" option, you'll find this on google/ youtube.

Lastly, seriously consider the limitations of the factory mounting locations... you'll find those mounts are not able to carry large [heavy] loads.

We went with a gutter-mount design/ completely independent of the roof shell.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
...seriously consider the limitations of the factory mounting locations... you'll find those mounts are not able to carry large [heavy] loads.

We went with a gutter-mount design/ completely independent of the roof shell.

I also found that the factory rails and mounts needed replacing after many miles of abuse.

How did you use a gutter-mount design that's independent of the roof when the Gen. III doesn't have rain gutters?
Can you post a few snap shots?
The mounting "track" on the roof will accept a bolt-in track for the rack attachment. It's a very strong design.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
"... How did you use a gutter-mount design that's independent of the roof when the Gen. III doesn't have rain gutters?
Can you post a few snap shots?
The mounting "track" on the roof will accept a bolt-in track for the rack attachment. It's a very strong design..."

I'm an idiot... was speaking of my Gen 2.5 build/ application.

Honestly, I suspect you might find a sturdy solution - for the Gen 3/ Gutter-less application - by building roof mounts that transverse the complete roof, from side to side. Say, a 3" wide base - that would go from one side to the other... three mounts, evenly spaced.
Then you could build whatever platform, off of the mounts, that you desire. I would be of the opinion that three of such would adequately carry the most demanding loads.

Build it out of what? My opinion; aluminum... yes, these would require welding. Otherwise, it would appear that aftermarket/ retail systems are your only option - with weight load restrictions included with such.

Our roof rack is far too heavy [steel/ 1" sq. tubing] to work with the Gen 3... sorry, but pics will likely be coming forth in the next few days.

Sorry for misspeaking on the topic... "It's in the details, dummy", is something I have heard far too often in my life.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...Honestly, I suspect you might find a sturdy solution - for the Gen 3/ Gutter-less application - by building roof mounts that transverse the complete roof, from side to side....

No need to cross the roof. The monocoque body is extremely strong and the location of the OEM cargo rails is more than up to the task. The factory rails are removable, and from there you can install a commercial track or build one as I did. Whatever kind of rack you attach to it, those mounting tracks will handle far more weight than you would ever want to put up there.

20932238036_e24869e94f_b.jpg

christo4ra

Awesome cargo build Sabre! I'm trying to decide something similar or stick with traditional cross bars. I'm curious what are you able to put up there? I use mine for kayaks and snowboards etc. so I guess I'm wondering if you would still able to mount those accessories or is this more geared toward strapping down big bins and gas cans etc. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles