SheepnJeep's CJ-3A Thread

SheepnJeep

Been doing some tinkering with the electrical system. The generator works for now, but I'm thinking about swapping to an alternator for a little more power. When running the heater and headlights around town (ie lots of idling) the battery starts to run down. Going down the road the generator can run the lights and heater, but it will only *barely* charge a phone or camera. This is not cool. I have to have my instagram, GPS, Starbucks locator, podcasts, and Craigslist running while on trips.

Mostly I am looking to be able to have wiggle room to keep things charging and happy. A short trip is okay without being about to charge camera gear, but any longer and you have to charge them somehow. I also have that thirsty electric winch that could flatten a battery pretty fast.

This battery is 5 years old now which I'm sure isn't helping my case much. It is up for replacement. Meanwhile I'm getting this reading at idle (+ - 600 rpm) with the heater running

It hovers there basically. Switch on the headlights and it begins to slowly fall

At fast idle (+-900 rpm) I get 13.15 volts. It does slowly climb from this with just the heater running, and stays about the same 13.15 volts with the headlights on. As I understand it a modern vehicle with a functioning alternator charges at about 13.5 to 14.5 volts to keep everything happy. This is probably what I will shoot for with my update.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like the idea of a new battery and alternator. Agreed that around town it doesn't matter, but on a long trip you are going to want to charge some devices. And a man does need his coffee.

SheepnJeep

Yeah for sure would like the ability to charge a camera and such, as well as add some Unity amber fog lamps someday.

I have to find the directions for my wiring harness, there's a way to do either a generator or alternator somehow.

evilfij

Explorer
I have a Koenig on a series. I had both the crank and the PTO driven. Cranks are worth more than PTO but the PTOs are better.

SheepnJeep

I have a Koenig on a series. I had both the crank and the PTO driven. Cranks are worth more than PTO but the PTOs are better.

I'm sure the PTO is probably stronger and it is for sure much more simple. Not really many moving parts to a PTO. Crank driven is pretty cool though.

I have looked over the diagram for my wiring harness and is should be easy to take out the regulator and add an alternator. Any suggestions on the most popular 3 wire alternator with a V belt drive?

I wonder if the header helps at all. It certainly is cool to find performance parts for such a vintage vehicle.

When I was a kid, we used to go watch the ice races on Lake Superior, where a bunch of flatties raced, and Hondas too... Funny to see Jeeps racing on ice.

evilfij

Explorer
I'm sure the PTO is probably stronger and it is for sure much more simple. Not really many moving parts to a PTO. Crank driven is pretty cool though.

I have looked over the diagram for my wiring harness and is should be easy to take out the regulator and add an alternator. Any suggestions on the most popular 3 wire alternator with a V belt drive?

The main advantage of the PTO over the crank is you get four winching speeds (1-4 in the transmission) and reverse.

SheepnJeep

The main advantage of the PTO over the crank is you get four winching speeds (1-4 in the transmission) and reverse.

That's what I like best about it, definitely.

The header helps the torque quite a bit in my opinion. Next two mods in that department will be a higher compression head and a better carb that allows for more adjustments

SheepnJeep

Next project will be cleaning up these hubs and getting them installed. Looking forward to .000000000025% more efficiency out of the old girl!

SheepnJeep

Finally got a little spare time to clean up and grease the locking hubs. I wish I had done so sooner! The jeep drives quite a bit better with the hubs unlocked. Easier steering, tighter radius, smoother driving.

I really thought I was in trouble when I got the dust cap off the drive flange. I have the oldest style Bendix axle shafts with a large castle nut and threaded end. For warn hubs this all has to get cut off. Later axles were a little shorter. Thankfully the internals on Selectro hubs are quite a bit bigger in diameter so everything fit without modification.

I found this install manual online. These hubs were sold as Sears, etc

In taking the hubs apart I found that the cam (part No.7) had been tweaked and the hub wouldn't turn freely. Couldn't figure it out until I noticed the cam wobbled on the flat workbench. I gently pushed it back into shape and things seem fine.

Here you can see the inner workings. The piece on the far left goes in place of the drive flange. Inside that would be the splined piece at the bottom with splines for the axle shaft on the inside. It rides inside the spur gear looking deal above it when free wheeling. At the top you can see the inside of the locking portion. The cam pushes the large splined piece into the hub and connects the center axleshaft with the outer splines on the drive flange. Pretty genius idea!

Here it is installed. Sorry no pics in progress, my hands were a greasy mess. I jacked up each wheel in turn to check the hub function and the both locked and unlocked beautifully. Much less wear and tear on the drive line this way. I use 4wd often so keeping the kingpin bearings splash lubricated should be no problem.

SheepnJeep

Wow, can't believe I haven't updated my own page in over a year! We ended up moving two summers ago, and then again to the U.P. Just recently re-aquired the jeep from my father who had taken it home with him from Montana and had some enjoyment driving and taking it to a few shows. Back in our garage now! Went out to see some fall color today. Any projects any one would like to see done? I have been thinking about a basic flatfender "How-to" YouTube channel to quickly help folks that are stuck on something.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23

SheepnJeep

Took a few minutes this weekend to learn eyelet weaving in rope from an old U of M book called "Shop work on the farm" Doesn't take long once you get started. Now I have some more stuff to hang off the jeep! It's not adventure ready until you have the Beverly Hillbillies look going on

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg