What's on the rear axle? (GMC Sierra)

trasko

Adventurer
Sorry for the bad pictures. They're from a cellphone while driving.

I noticed a strange tube-like device attached on the rear of the rear axle of a GMC Sierra (with "Denali" badging on the side). What is that? There is a small tube or rod coming out of each side. It seems distinct and perhaps mounted over the sway bar. I've never seen anything like this so I'm just wondering if y'all know what that might be.

2017-03-17 07.56.05.jpg

2017-03-17 07.56.06.jpg

2017-03-17 07.56.16.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You can always tell those silly quadrosteer trucks by the rear fenders.

Was/is a pretty slick setup. I remember the videos showing towing and highway lane merging, the system looked extremely beneficial.

Id hate to be the guy at the alignment shop though :sombrero:

RedF

Adventurer
I saw one today. They also have the extra clearance lights on the sides because they're a little wider than normal. They also made quadrasteer 2500 pickups, and Suburbans.

GM had a lifted 2500 that they were using for off road proving.

Though I cannot remember which one, one of the models equipped with quadrasteer had the same turning radius as a Honda Accord. Pretty neat!

Watt maker

You can always tell those silly quadrosteer trucks by the rear fenders.

Was/is a pretty slick setup. I remember the videos showing towing and highway lane merging, the system looked extremely beneficial.

Id hate to be the guy at the alignment shop though :sombrero:

The alignment on those trucks isn't really that bad but you do need a gm scan tool to tell the rear rack to center itself, then you check/set the rear angles and move on to the front like any other alignment. Definitely more stuff to wear out though. They did have a tight turning radius.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
These were out about the same time as the composite truck beds. I think I've only ever seen one of those.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Quadrasteer?
Yep, quadrasteer. The side clearance lights are the giveaway. I believe they also have clearance lights on the cab roof.
Last year I was out on my motorcycle and pulled up behind a Yukon XL that appeared to have wide fender flares. I was trying to figure out why when I saw the clearance lights and then I knew it was a quadrasteer version.
I think it's actually a pretty cool concept but it just never caught on - I think the cost was prohibitive and the complexity made maintenance more of a chore. They do fetch high prices in the aftermarket, though!

1stDeuce

Explorer
I too think it was a great option. The first couple of years it was $4k+, and not many sold. Then they dropped it to $2k and then $1k for the last year, and still not enough sold. At $1k, it should have been ordered on EVERY Truck they made. It made a 3/4 ton suburban turn like a Honda Accord, and made backing trailers a simple task, especially in tight quarters...

I saw the test truck when I worked at GM's proving grounds. It was a red 3/4 ton extended cab. It had been through some trails, but it was still a nice truck. They had a pre-runner style S10 with 1500 front suspension parked near it too. I spent some time laying under that, as I had a ZR2 Sonoma at the time. :)

I often wonder if QS will make a come-back eventually... It would be great for making trucks even easier for soccer Moms to pilot...

Burb One

Adventurer
I know a few people with the Quadrasteer setup and all three of them say they will never get a new truck ever again until they offer it again. These are the high budget chevy only types that bought a new truck/ tow rig the day the old warranty ran out like clock work.

I know it didn't sell well, but maybe it's because people didn't know what they were missing, and now they do and can't get it?

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I look at it kind of like the multi-mode 4wd system that was in the 4th gen 4runners. It was a great feature that the manufacturer, for some bizarre reason, didn't really promote or talk about and so it was really only missed when they dropped it.

I do think it had maintenance requirements that made people shy away from it. I think it may well have been one of those advances that was a bit ahead of its time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles