Help Me Pick a RTT

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks for all the info everyone - it truly is appreciated. I am really trying to think this all the way through and consider my options to make a wise choice (read that as buy the right tent the first time - and never have to buy another one). Summarizing the feedback thus far:
//
Soft-Tents:
//
Top Tier
Eezi-Awn is the clear top choice - but it is twice the price point of the others - (not sure how much that should matter to me given that I am trying to ever only buy one tent)(not digging that they still haven't added a floor to the annex)(Still having a hard time digesting $3800 for a TENT)
Howling Moon is the next closest quality rated competitor (US availability?)
//
Second tier
GordiGear
ARB (continuous improvement is a plus but it has a 'knock off' vibe to it)
23Zero (I LOVE the features and look of this tent, but I'm concerned about quality after their recovery gear failed miserably in the OJ 2017 Gear Guide)
Tepui (love some of the features)
//
Third Tier
CVT
Tuff Stuff
Etc.
//
Hard Top Tents
//
I admittedly don't know much about these other than I'm not sure I have the space (as mentioned). Need to do some more research in this area.
//
Please keep the info coming - as I mentioned, I truly appreciate all of it.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Owning an aluminum poptop Land Cruiser I suggest looking at an aluminum hard shell from Alu-cab. Lowest profile of any RTT, does not need a roof rack for mounting, you can stand and store stuff on top of it, much stronger construction less likely to damage, all bedding stays in place, Hands down the fastest RTT for set up and put away.
Whats not to like?:)

furbucket

Observer
I have a James Baroud Explorer Evo and love it! I would say go hardtop for ease of setup and definitely if you plan to camp where it rains or is windy. Only reason I see to go with a soft tent would be if you need the extra space, really want an annex or simply want to save some $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stryder106

Explorer
I had previously read that comparison, but found it lacking in - well - comparison. It was a catalogue listing of available RTTs even using the distributor's description in many cases. I am leaning heavily towards laying out the money for an Eezi-Awn and the quality and durability it brings, but am drawn to the 23Zero with the features............................ugh. If EEzi-Awn had a sky opening and a floor in the annex this would be a no brainer. This is giving me a headache.

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I just sold my Howling Moon, was happy with it but wanted something faster to set up and take down, and lower overall height. I'm leaning PRETTY hard toward the All-cab gen 3 tent.

But if you're after max space, a soft shell RTT will have more real estate...

Stryder106

Explorer
I just sold my Howling Moon, was happy with it but wanted something faster to set up and take down, and lower overall height. I'm leaning PRETTY hard toward the All-cab gen 3 tent.

But if you're after max space, a soft shell RTT will have more real estate...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the real world setup and take down time on these? We can fully setup our PUP trailer in 35 minutes (including the awning), and the Sportz tent we currently have for my Avalanche we can setup in 20 minutes.

Also - how much bedding can fit realistically in a Howling Moon or Eezi-Awn?

Mgyver1

Observer
Howling Moon is the next closest quality rated competitor (US availability?)

Yes they are available in the US. As far as I know, the main importer is Sierra Expeditions in Mesa, AZ, which is who I got mine through, and the other option is Adventure Ready in Seattle, WA.

I can leave my 0 degree Wiggy's sleeping bags and pajamas in with no problem. I do take my pillows out in the morning, but to be fair I've never tried leaving them in. I did remove my rainfly which makes packing up and set up easier.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Yes they are available in the US. As far as I know, the main importer is Sierra Expeditions in Mesa, AZ, which is who I got mine through, and the other option is Adventure Ready in Seattle, WA.

I can leave my 0 degree Wiggy's sleeping bags and pajamas in with no problem. I do take my pillows out in the morning, but to be fair I've never tried leaving them in. I did remove my rainfly which makes packing up and set up easier.

Correct, i have a grizzly dual person sleeping bag, that is quite bulky, and i also leave the rain fly in the tent... and i can close up the tent.. Its a bit tight but once you close it up a few times you figure it out. I also got mine from Sierra Expeditions... great service!

Although, if was to get another tent, i would get the 23zero, just off price point, and the extra options....

andy_b

If you don't mind me asking, what's the real world setup and take down time on these? We can fully setup our PUP trailer in 35 minutes (including the awning), and the Sportz tent we currently have for my Avalanche we can setup in 20 minutes.

Also - how much bedding can fit realistically in a Howling Moon or Eezi-Awn?

Are you asking about hard top tents in general, or specifically about the Alu-Cab?

Our Airtop goes up in less than a minute (all bedding is stored inside). Going down takes about 3min alone, maybe 2min w/ help. My wife and I have our tent deployment routine down to a science.

No experience with the Alu-Cab or JB tents, but I assume that they are similar.

Stryder106

Explorer
I was asking about the setup and take down times on the Eezi-Awn and Howling Moon specifically, and some of the other soft tents. I have an Avalanche and am going over the bed - so not enough room for a hard tent (though the 2-3 min setup / takedown times are certainly appealing).

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I was asking about the setup and take down times on the Eezi-Awn and Howling Moon specifically, and some of the other soft tents. I have an Avalanche and am going over the bed - so not enough room for a hard tent (though the 2-3 min setup / takedown times are certainly appealing).
Honestly it depends what its on...
When i have it on my tundra, 5 minutes tops...on my excursion a little bit longer, just due to the height...

Stryder106

Explorer
Leaning heavily towards the Eezi-Awn Xklusiv either 1400 or 1600. Need to figure out what the roof rack will look like and how much room that will leave to determine the size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles