Lithium Jump Packs

Thanks for the laugh this morning. That laugh just saved me a bunch of money. I was admiring the largest power pack Noco had plus one of their 3 bank battery chargers to keep the batteries topped off when stored. Added the XP10 to my list.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
snap-on makes one that will start a dead 7.3 diesel. And won't light on fire like some others...
The first AntiGravity XP1 I bought, shortly after they hit the market, came from the Snap-On truck. Not manufactured by nor labeled for Snap-On. I liked the XP1 enough that I ordered another one from the same Snap-On truck. That next one was not AntiGravity, but an "incredible simulation," labeled AllTrade or some other Chinese junk brand, so I returned it. I now have a couple of XP1s and and XP10, plus a couple of no-name knockoffs from Amazon. The lithium jump packs have become commodities, with wildly varying specs and probably widely varying quality. I have not seen a "Snap-On" pack, but they are probably just private labeled by some Chinese factory. When I learned a few years ago that the hyper-expensive Snap-On pressure washers and hydraulic jacks were Chinese stuff that I could duplicate for 1/3 the price, I stopped thinking so highly of Snap-On.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I don't have one of the little USB ones I have the larger USB/Inverter/WorkLight/Compressor/Jumper and it's saved me twice jumping a dead battery while in a remote situation. But what I use it for most is the 12v outlets can run without the inverter, so add a 12v to USB cigarette plug and now you have a massive battery to recharge your phone, tablet, and camera while you sleep. It's silly but if you count how often i'm charging items off it it's one of the most used items I take with me.

I think I got mine on woot and it's a cheap generic brand but it's like this kind of thing:
http://amzn.to/2cGSpmD

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Charged my XP-1 before my trip. Ended up running my battery down. Went to jump start it and nothing. Thing works when it wants to. Only jumped a few cars the 1st year of owning it. The 2nd year of using it has been disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I don't have one of the little USB ones I have the larger USB/Inverter/WorkLight/Compressor/Jumper and it's saved me twice jumping a dead battery while in a remote situation. But what I use it for most is the 12v outlets can run without the inverter, so add a 12v to USB cigarette plug and now you have a massive battery to recharge your phone, tablet, and camera while you sleep. It's silly but if you count how often i'm charging items off it it's one of the most used items I take with me.

I think I got mine on woot and it's a cheap generic brand but it's like this kind of thing:
http://amzn.to/2cGSpmD

This one is actually pretty good. It has an AMG battery over the little tiny ones we are talking about in this thread that uses lithium batteries

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Sorry to bump a 6 month old thread, but does anybody have any longterm feedback on the Microstart XP-10? I just ordered one.

My specific use would be to run a Whynter 45G fridge through the night, and solar panels to recharge it during the day. If that's all I'm running, and I insulate the fridge well, (factory travel cover, under a canopy, maybe even a space blanket over it).

So I guess what I'm wondering is, can this unit replace a battery, if I put a thousand watts into it all day with panels? (Yes, I suck at BOTH math AND electrical stuff!)

AndrewP

Explorer
So it looks like the XP-10 has 18 amp hours of stored power.

Your fridge draws around 3 amps when running, so theoretically it could run your fridge for 6 hours, and since the duty cycle is only about 1:3, maybe as long as 18 hours. But then you have to recharge it or it's worthless.

Try it and report back.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
with lithiums, they like to inflate the numbers. The xp-10 might say 18,000 mah but your not going to get that. You only get that if you use it to charge something with the USB ports at 5 volts. At higher volts, you might get 4000 mah.

These jump packs use the same high discharge lithium batteries they use in remote control cars. Its a large maybe 4000 or 5000 mah 3s 11.1 volt (fully charge 12.6 volt) flat lithium battery pack.

They will easily handle the requirement to run a 12 volt fridge. but it will only run it for about 1 or 2 hours. The xp10 would not be a good choice to run the fridge.

your fridge when set to 40 degrees will consume about 26 amps in 24 hours. It might need 5 amps at startup, then the voltage drops to about 3 amps and it only runs for 15 minutes every half hour. A true 18 ah lithium will easily run it overnite. But also a cheaper 35 ah agm will run it barely before reaching the 50 percent discharge. 40 ah or higher will get you more wiggle room.

I use to use a 75 ah agm to run my edgestar fp43 fridge, it ran excellent 24/7 365 days a year as long as I had good solar (120 watt panel). It was 100 percent solar. Even when the solar wasnt good and the fridge stop working at night from low battery, the food stayed cold and in the morning it ran again when the sun came up.

orbot

Observer
I bought the costco unit and si far it has been usefull, turned my truck over 2 times now on a dead battery, charged my iphone once and my dad turned his silverado all this with only the thing gotten charged once so id say it already paid for itself

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
The 18000mAh is at 3.7volts , the nominal voltage of a lipo cell. So its 18 * 3.7 = 66Wh , or about the size of a small laptop battery. Running a 12v load like a fridge we divide the watt hours by volts and get 5.5Ah.

If the fridge draws 3Ah you'll be able to run it for an hour and a bit...

They're OK for starting cars and charging phones, but not much else.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
FWIW, I recently tried to start a very dead GM 5.7 with my fully charged XP-1, and it was a no-go. This XP-1 has worked in the past on the same truck, but this time the old Odyssey 1500 was down to about 2.5 volts and the XP-1 just couldn't kick it over. The Odyssey was about nine years old and had been in three different trucks. It's now officially retired.

DorB

Adventurer
Sorry to bump a 6 month old thread, but does anybody have any longterm feedback on the Microstart XP-10? I just ordered one.

My specific use would be to run a Whynter 45G fridge )

I think my reply in this treed would give you some answers:
Well,
The toy arrived.
charged it fully as instructed.
And connected the 45-liter refrigerator in to simulates night camping while the fridge is disconnected from the main battery.
The starting points of the fridge temperature was 6 degrees Celsius, and I've set it to 4 degrees, which means that the compressor worked in full capacity for 15-20 min' and after reaching 4 deg, it worked in short intervals of few minutes each time (about 2 per hour), to keep the set temp.

The energy draw measured 2.5-3 amp while the compressor worked.

This small little Chinese-toy-Energy-Pack managed to keep the fridge's energy need for 12 hours and twenty minutes..

Room temperature was 24 degrees.

bigskypylot

Explorer
,was thinking about picking up one myself but have seen some not so good reviews on amazon. Still want to get one though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles