Passing wires through the firewall?

zuren

Adventurer
Is there a preferred method of getting wires through the firewall in these vans?

I'm installing some PIAA lights on the bumper of my van (2005 Chevy Express) and need to pass the connectors for the harnesses into the cabin. There is a rubber boot around the main wiring cluster that has space to slice it and stuff the new wires through but I was wondering if there was an existing grommet or other option I'm missing (other than drill a new hole).

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 9101

I always drill a new hole, use a grommet, then seal it with RTV silicone.

North

Observer
Bumping this thread for a quick firewall wiring Q:

Currently running my power for the house battery. I've drilled a ~1/2" hole in the firewall and am able to get wire loom through it. Is that sufficient protection for the wires or should I be using a rubber grommet instead?

86cj

Explorer

Currently running my power for the house battery. I've drilled a ~1/2" hole in the firewall and am able to get wire loom through it. Is that sufficient protection for the wires or should I be using a rubber grommet instead?

I have used Ancor marine wire seals on drilled holes, they work great and are completely safe, I have them front, back and in the middle of my van...
I am not a fan of plastic loom anymore, some of it is such poor quality, thin or brittle. The edges of a drilled hole in sheetmetal can cut through some pretty stout stuff, Positive current wire? Complete burning of your vehicle very possible, blown fuses likely.

Summit has them, they are called cable bushings by Allstar performance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer

Use a grommet, that is what they are for.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
The rubber boot that goes around the steering column is my choice, use an awl poke a hole push the wire through seals itself nothing to worry about. I probably have 5 different wires going that way and have never had a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles