ViAir 400P-A, Air Zenith OBD2, or Puma PD1006 Air Compressors

PHeller

Adventurer
Looking for a long-term solution to my portable air needs. I don't have huge tires today, but I might someday. My biggest issue is living at elevation I like to adjust air pressure depending on trip. 20psi at 7,000ft gets pretty low at 1,000ft and stopping at a gas station to fill up has proven problematic, whether it be in my daily driver/overland truck or my wife's Honda Fit.

I'm hoping my next vehicle will be capable of running 33" tires or similar, so that's where I'm aiming. At this point at least, I don't need to run tools on the trail. I've got electric impacts.

I was wondering if folks could help be navigate the $200-$350 budget range:

ViAir 400P-Automatic: $215 - Includes all necessary hoses and carrying bag. Good reviews, but some complaints about speed and CFM (2.5).

Air Zenith OBD2 - $320 - Not sure what it includes. Equivalent to ExtremeAir setups (which start at $400), but best used setup hardwired and onboard. Claimed 4.25CFM.

Puma PD1006 - $250 - Not mention of what it includes, but it's hooked up to a tank. How hard would it be to remove it from the tank? I'd like to leave the tank at home most days, and maybe bring it along I'm supplying air to friends. Claimed 3.5 CFM, which puts it about half-way between the ViAir products and something like the OBD2, for a cheaper price.

Any thoughts?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have the Viair 400P compressor kit, currently available on Amazon for $179.95 with free shipping. It is not the fastest compressor on the market, but plenty fast enough for airing up 33" tires from 16 psi back to 35 psi and a very good value. In my opinion the 400P-A at $215 is worth the extra $35 for the on-off pressure switch, but at the time I purchased my 400P the least expensive price for the 400P-A was $250.

The 400P and 400P-Automatic provide the same performance: 33% duty cycle @ 100 psi with a maximum pressure of 150 psi; 2.30 cfm @ 0 psi, 1.75 cfm @ 40 psi, with fill rates of 3:00 to fill a 31" tire from 0-30 psi, 1:35 to fill a 31" tire from 15-30 psi, 4:20 to fill a 33" tire from 0-30 psi, 2:05 to fill a 33" tire from 15-30 psi, 5:20 to fill a 35" tire from 0-30 psi and 2:45 to fill a 35" tire from 15-30 psi.

In my experience the 33% duty cycle hasn't been an issue. I can air up all four of my 33" tires from 16-35 psi in about 12 minutes, long before the 20 minute mark for a cool down period specified by Viair for a 33% duty cycle compressor working at 100 psi. The 100% duty cycle portable compressors on the market have less output, requiring them to run longer to do the same work. [See, e.g., Viair 450 P with output of 1.80 cfm @ 0 psi and 1.39 cfm @ 40 psi, filling a 33" tire from 15-30 psi in 2:50 compared to the 400P in 2:05.]

You should compare the pressures at which various manufacturers rate the cfm of their compressors. For example AirZenith and Smittybilt provide what look like impressive cfm numbers at 0 psi but nothing for the cfm at working pressures which is what really matters. On the other hand, Puma rates the compressor referenced in your post at 1.36 cfm @ 90 psi, which suggests that it will be slightly faster than the Viair 400, but perhaps not enough faster to warrant the additional cost.

All things considered, I found the Viair 400P and 400P-A to provide the best bang for the buck when I did my research last year. I have had hardwired onboard air systems with both engine driven and high output electric compressors, and appreciated the convenience and performance, but don't have the room for a permanent mount in my current truck without fabricating brackets, relocating fluid reservoirs, etc. Frankly, it isn't worth the time, money and trouble to fabricate a hardmounted system when compared to the ease of use/simple storage and relatively low cost of a Viair portable kit.

F350joe

I'm putting in a Puma today actually. I did all the research and decided on the Puma because I have the space and many people say it runs air tools just fine being 100% Duty cycle. It is slightly slower for airing up tires but we are talking about a couple minutes at most for all four tires. The tanks is easy to relocate and is not needed for just airing tires. The tank is nice for giving a head start in the first tire and is needed to set a bead.

Many good threads on here and in the reviews of various sites. You will be happy with whatever you choose is what I gathered.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I bought the larger Smitty Built compressor ($159) and am very impressed with it. I was going to also put together a another unit using a diff. compressor w/2 gal. tank) but decided the Smitty Built is all I need. I went ahead at the time and purchased an extended warranty but doubt I'll needed it I have had it for 18 months with no issue. Use it every time we hit the trails

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
just filling tires?

Looking for a long-term solution to my portable air needs. I don't have huge tires today, but I might someday. My biggest issue is living at elevation I like to adjust air pressure depending on trip. 20psi at 7,000ft gets pretty low at 1,000ft and stopping at a gas station to fill up has proven problematic, whether it be in my daily driver/overland truck or my wife's Honda Fit.

I'm hoping my next vehicle will be capable of running 33" tires or similar, so that's where I'm aiming. At this point at least, I don't need to run tools on the trail. I've got electric impacts.

I was wondering if folks could help be navigate the $200-$350 budget range:

ViAir 400P-Automatic: $215 - Includes all necessary hoses and carrying bag. Good reviews, but some complaints about speed and CFM (2.5).

Air Zenith OBD2 - $320 - Not sure what it includes. Equivalent to ExtremeAir setups (which start at $400), but best used setup hardwired and onboard. Claimed 4.25CFM.

Puma PD1006 - $250 - Not mention of what it includes, but it's hooked up to a tank. How hard would it be to remove it from the tank? I'd like to leave the tank at home most days, and maybe bring it along I'm supplying air to friends. Claimed 3.5 CFM, which puts it about half-way between the ViAir products and something like the OBD2, for a cheaper price.

Any thoughts?

If your goal is just filling tires, there are a lot cheaper options that pack smaller, and work great.

I've had the Puma PD1006 for a year or so, and it's a great compressor, but it won't run air tools effectively even with the 1.5 gallon tank.
Separating the compressor from the tank is relatively simple, but it does have a decompression device and mechanical pressure switch that needs to be taken into account.
I use it for blowing out the Jeep & gear, along with filling tires, and it works well for that.

In my other rig, I have a modified MV-50 mounted OBA with a 2.5 gallon air tank. It works great for filling tires. Not as fast as the Puma, or even the bigger Smittybilt compressor. But for $60 it's impressive.
Also have another MV50 in stock configuration that is carried as back up & to share on the trail.
I've used all three to fill 35" tires without issue. The two MV50 kits are more than 3 years old now.

So think about that before dedicating space, and plunking down your hard earned cash.

Picture 1: PD1006 mounted
Picture 2: 50' x 3/8" curly hose, fast fill air chuck, and ARB tire deflator
Picture 3 & 4: Size difference between the PD1006 and the MV50

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• Hard-Top-rear-access-P.jpg
    Hard-Top-rear-access-P.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Air-Super-Station.jpg
    Air-Super-Station.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Compressor-side.jpg
    Compressor-side.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Compressor-top.jpg
    Compressor-top.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 66

PHeller

Adventurer
If your goal is just filling tires, there are a lot cheaper options that pack smaller, and work great.

I want something fast, a good value, and desirable. I don't like buying the stuff that people say "i used to have one of those, but now I've got this and it's way better"

I like getting the good stuff first, because at the very least it makes it easier to sell down the road. I drive a cheap truck, so I can afford to spend a little bit more on tools that'll last a lifetime.

So my thinking is that if people are upgrading to the Puma over the ViAir 400-P and MV50 or MV90, that tells me it's more desirable.

If the Puma only requires a few more bucks to separate it from the tank but it fills faster than the ViAir or MV50/90, that be awesome.

We're only talking a few extra bucks for the Puma over the ViAir 400P-Automatic.

Now, if separating the Puma from the tank is going to be a royal pain and not exactly cheap, then I might rethink this idea.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
(Sorry) It's not in that $200-$300 Price range I just think you should give it a look. I just know that it is probably the most powerful, heavy duty compressor, built to last and packs away neatly in my recover gear box with all the accessories I need in one box. (Compressor, tree two tree saver straps, 20 ft. tow strap, gloves, tire repair kit, gloves, snatch block ect. ect. ect.
When I pull it out and air up they just don't believe there eyes.

By the way it is 5.65 cfm rated

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Air-Comp....aspx?t_c=89&t_s=566&t_pt=100437&t_pn=S/B2781

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
PD1006 will need a manifold of some type to separate the tank

The control assembly, and the check valve, will need to be plumbed into a manifold of some type. Other than that it's just a matter of removing the compressor, and control assembly from the compressor.
One issue you would need to deal with is how hot the air is. So running the manifold to a remote mounted tank, with a quality header line in an insulated sleeve will help. Then run the QDs from the tank, which will also help to drop out moisture so it doesn't go into your tires.
Here is a picture from the web showing the "business side" of things. :)

Even with the tank removed, it would be better hard mounted. It pulls a real 40A-45A in service (I measured this with a quality amp meter). That means some pretty substantial cables for a long run. I'm running #4 fine strand silicon jacketed cables with about a 12' total run on positive and negative. With this the voltage drop on either side is an acceptable 0.20V to 0.30V.

FWIW: The MV50 I have mounted OBA is pretty much just for airing up. It works great in that capacity, and I have no desire to upgrade it on that rig, even with the 35" tires.
The only thing I will eventually do with the MV50 in the bag is cut off the stock cord, and run some larger fine strand cable. The supplied cable is too small for the amp draw. Currently I just run up the rpms to get full output voltage from the alternator.
I've always used the time airing up tires to check over the rig for trail damage, and talk with friends. So ultimate speed is not important to me.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• pd1006.jpg
    pd1006.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 42

PHeller

Adventurer
Pic dump for discussion:

The Puma PD1006:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Separated from tank with plumbing:
attachment.php

PD05 (slightly smaller compressor) separated without plumbing:
attachment.php

And one more...
attachment.php

Ok, now that everybody know what it looks like, here's some of the ExtremeAir Magnum:

This is the old kit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

You'll notice there doesn't appear to be anything in the kit besides the compressor, some cable, and hose. No gauge, no pressure switch, hell, not even an on/off switch! This is the new kit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The biggest difference I see between the Puma compressors and those used by Extreme Outback are the air filters. The older Puma's and the 24v Puma used air filters. Even on Puma's website they still show the DE07 and PD1006 utilizing filters: http://www.pumaairusa.com/products-08.html

Here are some from a thread discussing air compressors. I'm not sure who makes this or where it came from, but it does demonstrate the pressure switch and other hardware not being connector a tank. I like the little manifold thing holding it all togethe

DSCF7399_zpsk5tvrmgl.jpg

DSCF7400_zpsnf7ces17.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Been running a PUMA since 2007 with 100's of hours of use without issue. Air up time for 4 - 35's at sea level 14-35psi, start to finish 10 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 70

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
As long as there is free flow of air, the compressor doesn't "have" to use a pressure switch. But, If the air flow is shut off, then a pressure switch is pretty critical. A power switch is important if using clamps to the battery. One spark over a hot gassing battery could be disastrous.
Also a pressure dump valve so the compressor doesn't start up under full pressure is pretty important.
Easy enough to re-purpose everything that comes with the Puma.

The picture with that little manifold attached to where the handle was is what I was mentioning in the above post. Easily made with just a block of aluminum. Or for pretty cheap there are generic versions on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=air+compressor+manifold

Some way to cool the header line, and good air circulation around the compressor will be very beneficial as well.

Robert Bills

Explorer
1. The Puma compressor is large. Do you have the space to hard mount a compressor? Will the Puma fit?

2. For a hard mount system you will probably not use anything but the Puma compressor and the coil wrapped leader line. There are smaller pressure switches and manifolds on the market and tanks that are easier to mount in confined spaces.

3. You don't need a large tank if your purpose is to air up tires, scare other drivers with an air horn, etc. I have used a Hadley 1 gal. tank as an expansion reservoir to prevent the pressure switch from constantly cycling. It was more than sufficient for an onboard air system and at one time was part of an onboard air kit marketed by Currie Enterprises based upon a Thomas 12v compressor. Hadley also sells a 1/2 gal. tank [P/N H00626] that measures only 5" x 12" which would also be sufficient as an expansion reservoir.
h00626.jpg

4. Here is a simple schematic for an onboard air system using a 12v compressor (showing the 1 gal. Hadley tank that was part of the Currie/Thomas compressor kit). Unloader/check valves, pressure switches, air line manifolds and other parts are available from Viair. http://viaircorp.com/accessories.html Note that you need a constant duty solenoid, not a starter solenoid. T-fittings and other brass parts are readily available at Home Depot. If I recall correctly I sourced my check valve from Grainger.

compressor-5.gif

PHeller

Adventurer
It looks like there are two models of Puma PD1006 available, one with the air filter (PD1006F) and one without (PD1006). It looks like ExtremeOutback is using the filtered model.

I'm pretty confident that for another $50 I can rig up the PD1006F to be pretty much identical to the Extreme Air Magnum.

The most expensive or difficult part for me would be bending new copper tubing if I want to utilize the pressure switch and regular assembly. That could be easily relocated with a metal bracket stacked under the handle. If I'm lucky I could do a 90º from the compressor outlet with a coupler to the smaller pressure/relay switch tubing.

If I wanted to keep it really simple I'd just ditch the all the extras and do what Extreme Outback does with the ExtremeAir. Open chuck for pressure release. Then add an inline fuse with reset switch and 4 gauge battery clamps.

mXln5VYT63hUaWZqyt9THHA.jpg

Since I'm a visuals guy, I like doing photoshop "mockups" of what things might look like. Here's what I'm thinking the PD1006 would look like if I removed the tank but kept everything else:

attachment.php

PHeller

Adventurer
Just to clarify, I'm not planning on hard mounting this, at least not until I get a larger vehicle. I'm not building an OBA system, but I want the ability to do so later on. The cool thing about the Puma setup is that it's pretty much everything I'd need to go OBA in the future.

For right now it'll be used as a portable system.

I'll stick a quick release fitting on the tank and keep that at home for the MTB tires (useful for seating tubeless setups).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne