UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Off to Rhino

16427511_1438643246154899_7361287728324889207_n.jpg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
with all that power that Alpha is making, will that air filter be enough? Size wise?
Looks great and you know that every 7.3 Van owner will be beating your door down to buy one just like it!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ most definitely! great design! does that intake replace the rest of the intake, or just what we can see?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
with all that power that Alpha is making, will that air filter be enough? Size wise?
Looks great and you know that every 7.3 Van owner will be beating your door down to buy one just like it!

From K&N website....

Use the formula below to compute the minimum size filter required for your particular application. The usable portion of the filter is called the EFFECTIVE FILTERING AREA which is determined by multiplying the diameter of the filter times Pi (3.1416) times the height of the air filter in inches, then subtracting .75-inch. We subtract .75-inch to compensate for the rubber seals on each end of the element and the filter material near them since very little air flows through this area.

A=(CID X RPM) / 20,839

A = effective filtering area
CID = cubic inch displacement
RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power

Example: A 350 CID Chevy engine with a horsepower peak at 5,500 rpm.
A=(350 X 5500) / 20,839 = 92.4 square inches

If you are sizing a panel filter, multiply the width of the filter area (not the rubber seal) times its length. If you are sizing a round filter, use the following formula to determine the height of the filter.

H=(A / D * 3.14)+0.75

H = height
D = outside diameter of the filter
3.14 = pi
0.75 = the rubber end caps

Example:
H=(92.4 / 12 * 3.14)+0.75 = 3.20 inches

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Changing the subject for just a second, Chris have you seen this yet?

I know this is not a Transit Van, but this thing is bad to the bone!

I'm always a bit suspicious of websites that photoshop the snot out of stuff to look "cool". Love the in-depth reporting too. "As far as we know, both diffs sport ARB lockers!"

never fear "most of the lift comes from its 46-inch tyres, so the suspension and handling are not compromised."

How do you bolt on 46 inch tires without lifting the suspension?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm always a bit suspicious of websites that photoshop the snot out of stuff to look "cool". Love the in-depth reporting too. "As far as we know, both diffs sport ARB lockers!"

never fear "most of the lift comes from its 46-inch tyres, so the suspension and handling are not compromised."

How do you bolt on 46 inch tires without lifting the suspension?

You hack the snot out of the fenders.

What I want to know is how you bolt on 46" tires without compromising the suspension and handling? Not that I'd care too much because it is wicked cool.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
On the filter thing. I drank the K&N koolaid on my last truck, a tuned 550 HP diesel. Had to have all that "flow" so the engine could breath so I could make that power! Did it flow better? Dunno. Did it make any difference? Not a bit as far as I could tell. The truck had one of those sensor things that would tell you when your filter was starting to clog and thereby restrict airflow. Before I changed filter systems I had tuned it up to 700 HP, flogged it a bit for giggles. At the 550 mark I regularly towed 17K with it, often seeing 45 psi of boost doing it, and that little filter minder never so much as twitched. It never occurred to my dumb ******** till after I'd invested 500 bones in my fancy new free flowing filter that the stock air system already flowed as much air as my engine could take on any power level I could feed it.

It was pretty though.

SHAFT

Observer
Speaking of ram assist.....My stuff just showed up!

16425878_1437613722924518_8245651971626109083_n.jpg

The new folks were excellent to deal with, on time, I've even seen pics of Tom there working.
Chris, any chance of doing an install/overview video of this process? Steering and brakes are the achilles of my van at the moment.....

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Highly interested in an intake kit! My stock plastic box is trashed.

Alpha has an intercooler so the turbo intake is in a different location than stock so this is a one off that won't work on other vans.

We tried to get as much filter in there as we could, wasn't easy. This filter has more surface area than the 2 stock filters. I tried multiple setups before settling on this.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
From K&N website....

Use the formula below to compute the minimum size filter required for your particular application. The usable portion of the filter is called the EFFECTIVE FILTERING AREA which is determined by multiplying the diameter of the filter times Pi (3.1416) times the height of the air filter in inches, then subtracting .75-inch. We subtract .75-inch to compensate for the rubber seals on each end of the element and the filter material near them since very little air flows through this area.

A=(CID X RPM) / 20,839

CID = cubic inch displacement
RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power

Example: A 350 CID Chevy engine with a horsepower peak at 5,500 rpm.
A=(350 X 5500) / 20,839 = 92.4 square inches

Thanks for posting this. So, if my calculations are correct we need 42.61 and have 119.6. So we're good.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Changing the subject for just a second, Chris have you seen this yet?

ozzo_Arctic_Trucks0005-breyttur-gluggi-small-Copy.jpg

See the rest: http://4x4pix.net/2016/04/08/arctic-truck/

I know this is not a Transit Van, but this thing is bad to the bone!

Yea this is the one with the Dynatrac axles? I've had a ton of Iceland rigs sent to me via pics/etc over the years. Never good suspension shots though. It seems that they don't have a lot of travel or suspension movement, they rely on the flotation of the tire to do most of the work. Specific rigs built for specific needs! Looks cool for sure.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, any chance of doing an install/overview video of this process? Steering and brakes are the achilles of my van at the moment.....

Didn't plan on it but I can. I ran a ton of ram assists back in the day, only a few on vans. For your brakes I would recommend the SSBC calipers & rotors, whats up with your steering?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94