where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I do agree with that statement. Just speculating about it. seems nobody has tried to make a bigger lift(than the spacer lift) but alot of people want one.

I've had a dozen rigs that have been lifted and locked. Upwards of 37" tires on several of them.

I figured I'd do something wild when I bought my Cayenne 8 years ago. That was until I started using it. I have a 32" tall tire on it and I can still beat more than half the field at a Porsche club autocross and tow 7700lbs better than any other tow rig I've owned(including quad cab duallies).

The thing is simply a freak of nature. If it were any other luxury SUV I'd have it sitting on 35s a long time ago

Cole

Expedition Leader
How's reliability with these.

They have a few known issues. Most of which are a "one and done" easy DIY.

I've had mine for 8 years. Has over 130k on it now and I've put about $2500 into repairs/maintenance. Most of that was items that won't need to be done again.(which also means most of them have been done on any used one)

donaldcon

Adventurer
I had a guy show up in a Cheyenne once to a jeep even. He had issues but he managed to run alot more than we exspected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

They have a few known issues. Most of which are a "one and done" easy DIY.

I've had mine for 8 years. Has over 130k on it now and I've put about $2500 into repairs/maintenance. Most of that was items that won't need to be done again.(which also means most of them have been done on any used one)

Thank you!

Matthew Wells

My Cayenne (955)

I'm new to this site. We bought our Cayenne a couple of years ago specifically to build into an overland vehicle.

attachment.php

iPad we use as a dedicated chart plotter using xMotion GPS. It's also blue toothed to the inReach satellite communicator next to it so that we can message through the iPad. They're both on Ram mounts and utilize the two 12v plugs under the passenger dash.

attachment.php

Using the ARB awning

attachment.php

ARB tent that installs beneath the awning

attachment.php

Another overall view

attachment.php

So it's a 2006 955 base. We specifically sought a low option base for various reasons that many of you may disagree with. We didn't want air suspension as I've see numerous failures in Land Rovers and I wanted to rule that out. 6 cylinders means less spark plugs, ignition coils, oil filters, etc. Basically fewer spares and less expense on maintenance. As we do not try to limit our mileage, that is a legitimate concern. We currently have around 145,000 miles.

Modifications:

Front Runner Slimline II roof rack (Attached to the roof, not strapped to roof rails. They don't list this for the Cayenne but I had them custom make one for me)
Front runner 45L water storage on the roof with spout on the side
Front Runner Axe carrier (which double as a stake driver)
Front Runner spare carrier with full size spare
Pelican case hard mounted to the rack
ARB Awning
ARB Tent section for awning
Tire - General Grabber AT2 265/70-17
inReach Sat Comms
iPad dedicated to chart plotter duties
MaxxTraxx
ARB Snatch Strap

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm glad to see that others are using the Cayenne for it's true potential.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice setup. Have you thought about a rear tire carrier? That would get a lot of weight off the roof and give you more space.

Matthew Wells

There will definitely be something on the rear at some point. The main driver for something on the rear will be to have fuel storage, but when that happens I think the spare will move to the back with the exception on some very remote trips, where we may have two full size spares. Also, from the beginning we didn't want to raise the Cayenne at all. The ground clearance with 32's is perfectly adequate for overlanding, in my opinion. However, recently we encountered a road with sections more primitive than we expected, with some decently off-camber bits, ledges, etc, which was a good reminder that sometimes road conditions are not what you expected. This has led us to revisit the suspension, and if we do end up raising the Cayenne at all, it will become more important to bring weight off the roof to bring the CG back down.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My carrier carries four extra gallons of gas. With an over 350 mile range I've never has fuel issues.

JPutnam

Observer
Hello
This Cayenne is without PASM
With traditional Suspention ( not proflex )
made with Teflon shims

5c1edc58ee39549c791874d3b6e53df1.jpg
d4fd50410e1d157bc6c9e473fe6c1210.jpg
e07cdda094a3dd06fd4ffd1c7d794c99.jpg

Source : French Forum Cayenne

I thought on this one some more. after doing a bit of research and finally understanding how the strut is attached and everything is attached. Using the spacers on the top of the upper mount is causing your suspension to work against itself. using these spacers essentially lowered your upper control arm. but your lower control arm stayed on the same plane. so now your upper control is angled more up than your lower control arm. To have correct suspension geometry you want both upper and lower control arms to be on the same plane. I bet your wheel and tire is doing all sorts of wierd stuff when ever you hit a bump. massive camber gains and probably toe gains upon compression. caused by your lower control arm swinging out and back in during compression and your upper starting in the out position then just swinging in. Forcing the bottom of your wheel to pivot out then in and the top to only pivot in. If that makes any sense.

To me it would seem smart to remove those. then take off the upper strut mount(one with the upper control arm on it) and then undo the 4 bolts that hold on the strut(or air bag/strut thing) make a spacer to sit between installed with longer bolts. then reinstall it all. this will essentially give you a spacer lift while retaining the air suspension. your control arms will be pushed down alot more. the back would be done the same way. remove the spacers you did then drop the whole air strut and make a spacer to go in between the strut mount and the strut. your suspension geometry will work the same but it will be as if you had taller spings and struts.

I hope that all made sense.

Why does everyone say they are limited to the 1.25 spacer lift on these and touaregs? is it Just because the carrier bearing for the driveshaft? or do the axle start reaching their limits? ball joints maxing out? anyone know?

edit: I know you have the steel spring suspension. I was more brainstorming ways to lift the air suspension. its the same basic thing with both types. Im not trying to discredit you or your idea. Just trying to help you have a safer vehicle that works correctly. I bet your tires are wearing funny faster than normal with your setup.

Last edited:

marcantoine77

Observer
I thought on this one some more. after doing a bit of research and finally understanding how the strut is attached and everything is attached. Using the spacers on the top of the upper mount is causing your suspension to work against itself. using these spacers essentially lowered your upper control arm. but your lower control arm stayed on the same plane. so now your upper control is angled more up than your lower control arm. To have correct suspension geometry you want both upper and lower control arms to be on the same plane. I bet your wheel and tire is doing all sorts of wierd stuff when ever you hit a bump. massive camber gains and probably toe gains upon compression. caused by your lower control arm swinging out and back in during compression and your upper starting in the out position then just swinging in. Forcing the bottom of your wheel to pivot out then in and the top to only pivot in. If that makes any sense.

To me it would seem smart to remove those. then take off the upper strut mount(one with the upper control arm on it) and then undo the 4 bolts that hold on the strut(or air bag/strut thing) make a spacer to sit between installed with longer bolts. then reinstall it all. this will essentially give you a spacer lift while retaining the air suspension. your control arms will be pushed down alot more. the back would be done the same way. remove the spacers you did then drop the whole air strut and make a spacer to go in between the strut mount and the strut. your suspension geometry will work the same but it will be as if you had taller spings and struts.

Why does everyone say they are limited to the 1.25 spacer lift on these and touaregs? is it Just because the carrier bearing for the driveshaft? or do the axle start reaching their limits? ball joints maxing out? anyone know?

edit: I know you have the steel spring suspension. I was more brainstorming ways to lift the air suspension. its the same basic thing with both types. Im not trying to discredit you or your idea. Just trying to help you have a safer vehicle that works correctly. I bet your tires are wearing funny faster than normal with your setup.

Hello it is not my Cayenne
My cayenne has pneumatic suspension
Thanks for the explication

e221fe8be24b93172da60b5d3bc0dc87.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N910F en utilisant Tapatalk

CORDSIG79

Observer
Howdy from Austin. I was active in the past and catching up.

I have 2 Cayennes in various stages of creation and repair.

2006 base Cayenne, had since mile 0. 190k miles. Steel suspension still in great shape. Redid front wheel bearings (Fuchs). Replaced worn engine mounts, all gaskets, plugs and coils x4 and redid transmission valve body. 17s with hankook ATM.

Great little setup but hit a deer over Thanksgiving and the lower lip and lights are coming off and need to decide how to go forward. I can gain more clear for bigger tires or fix it and go back to stock with decent tires.

I've also got a beautiful 2004 CTT artic silver with smooth interior and just want to get 18s and try out the winter setup with air suspension.

Almost too pretty too take off road so I'm stuck on which way to go...

It needs some TLC on gaskets and check the oil usage and make a call in 2017 on 2 Cayennes with 2 purposes..

smithh

Folks,

Been following this thread for a while. I've got quite a few questions but starting with Rock Rails. How good are the Cayenne rock rails for a 2008 car? Are they good enough to jack the car on? I'm thinking of having some fitted to help with getting the car beached on its sills and as a point to lift with a quick lift jack.

what are your experiences?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My bro is looking at an older cayenne turbo s to replace his expedition EL. Being an older rig, and paying a lot of money for it, are these turbo rigs money pits if something goes wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles