Fire extinguishers

mobob

I don't know much about fire extinguishers but my neighbor is quite the expert. He hooked me up with two of these that I keep mounted in my Truck. Having used one on an electrical fire on a friends electrical time-bomb, I was very impressed with the functionality and zero mess afterwards.
IMG_20170127_095336069.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Just yesterday I spoke with a guy driving a Cintas Fire Protection truck. He was loading some stuff at Home Depot and I noticed an extinguisher on the headache rack behind the driver's seat, so I asked him what Cintas installs in their own trucks. Simple: two pound ABC. Why? They think that's most effective on the fires they are likely to encounter.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
That cleanguard looks good, but $$$$$.

Yeah not cheap, but not $400 either. One place is selling the 2.5 lb for $122.

But I dunno...I've never had occasion to use a fire extinguisher on an actual fire, I might just roll with the nasty powder extinguisher and hope I never have to use it.

mezmochill

Is outside
Yeah not cheap, but not $400 either. One place is selling the 2.5 lb for $122.

But I dunno...I've never had occasion to use a fire extinguisher on an actual fire, I might just roll with the nasty powder extinguisher and hope I never have to use it.

122 much better than the prices I found, thats doable. I'll probably keep the powder abc that we have too.

Running your wire looms on occassion is good preventative especially when doing other work. I've found chaffed exposed wires in the loom incidentally that I still wonder how it didn,t start a fire. That and use big enough guage wire for addons and make sure your connections are Tight.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Clean agent stuff is good for interior fires or other contained spaces. But outside of small fires where the agent may cool things enough to prevent re-ignition, they're utterly worthless for engine bays and other open spaces, as the agent can simply drift / blow away. When that happens, if there's still enough heat, the fire will re-ignite and you're back to square 1. Foam or a dry chem of some form is much better for open spaces like that.

Ideally, carry a clean agent and a foam or dry chem that way an interior fire can be resolved without a huge mess but you've still got something that can either coat or cool a fire in an open space and better avoid re-ignition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles