Jeep to F150 HD SCREW...

wanabxtrm

Observer
So after my jeep blew its engine at 95K, and the ford dealer offered a very generous trade (engine replaced under lifetime warranty!), I've signed up for a F150 super crew, with HD payload, towing, and a few other misc bits.

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0371.JPG

Not that the budget currently allows (if you would have asked me a month ago I would not have said I was in the market for a new car) but does anyone have some good recommendations on accessories sites for the future? Is there a quadratec or AEV of sorts for F150? Given its the most popular car in America I figure there has to be a few one stop shop sites to go to.

Looking for ideas on a topper/rack, bumper/winch mount, and bed storage. Topper/rack will be the first purchase...

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Congrats on the new truck. I don't know any Ford specific sites, but as you indicate, the best selling truck in the US, there will not be a lack of support for accessories. I would just google it.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I think the Deezee tailgate assist is a must have for the tailgate to keep it from slamming. Its a minor thing and takes 5 minutes to install. As for a rack I have and greatly recommend a Leitner Designs Active Cargo System. There is a lot of different ways you can outfit it and I think its a truly nice piece of kit.

http://www.leitnerdesigns.com/

p nut

butter
I think the Deezee tailgate assist is a must have for the tailgate to keep it from slamming. Its a minor thing and takes 5 minutes to install...

DeeZee makes a nice product, but OEM can be had for similar price (I think mine was $40 all together), and it looks so much cleaner.
_
DeeZee mounts to the outside, making it prone to breakage and contamination from exposing it to the elements/cargo.
00-deezee-tailgate-assist-43203-1997-1.jpg

_
OEM mounts to the inside, where the tail light is. Can't tell it's there. It took me maybe 20 minutes to install.
80-9_960f39d2e9d70fb08e8c7dccec495a48cd2a33f0.jpg

_
Details here: http://www.f150forum.com/f118/how-install-oem-tailgate-damper-tailgate-assist-2015-2016-a-341090/

Join the F150Forum and start reading. Lots of good information there.
some quick highlights:

1. Get the correct odb2 bluetooth adapter and forscan. Great for troubleshooting and some mild modifications to the truck.
2. Leveling kit will fit up to 35s depending on tire manufacturer. I am running a 1.5" motofab level (actually brought the front up almost 2 inches). I will upgrade to 34+ when the factory tires wear down some. Rides same as stock.
3. Factory tailgate assist (i need to order mine still, been lazy and wife is spending all my money on an anniversary party)
4. Ecoboost with a winch is a pain due to the intercooler. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle this.
5. Stage3Motorsport is great, but most of the online vendors sell the same stuff. AutoAnything, Realtruck,etc.
6. Get some good mats, I recommend the Husky mats (ran weathertechs in the wife's van, prefer the huskys). Discount code can be found on the f150forum.
7. Check out the <50$ mod thread. Lots of little things that make a difference, including the rubbermaid console organizer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HF5M7OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - best thing I bought for the truck so far
8. If you get a cap, realize the bed is not completely sealed. A drop in liner > spray in for most people who run in dirty dusty environs

HTH

wanabxtrm

Observer
Sweet, thanks for the tips. Haven't joined the forum there yet, but have used it in narrowing what options I wanted on the truck. Beds already lined and has the OEM rubber mats. We'll see how they compare to weathertec which I've been impressed with in the past.

Looks like I'm looking at either snug top or ARE based on internet reviews for a topper. I'll be swinging past the dealers this week.

It's a lariat. I thought they came with the tailgate assist, but it's the base lariat, which I couldn't find anywhere local so maybe that's only on the higher option packages. Guess I'll find out when it shows up. There was only 2 '16 lariats with the HD payloads on lots in the US at this point, found this one in MN as a dealer demo. So I'll be patiently waiting for it to arrive, which gives plenty of time for my imagination of upgrades to run wild.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Congrats on the new truck, but it comes with payments, higher ins, and you just got a bran new engine with a lifetime warranty... Only way I get it is if you were wanting more room anyways.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Congrats on the new truck, but it comes with payments, higher ins, and you just got a bran new engine with a lifetime warranty... Only way I get it is if you were wanting more room anyways.

Definitely was a tough decision. But yes that was one of the major driving factors. I've got 3 kids now and the jeeps a little tight, we also have a trailer for when we move (military so we move often) and it can't tow it. That said, excluding accessories and mx costs, the difference between what I bought it for in 08, and what the trade value was 3k. So I felt like I had gotten my money's worth out of it and then some.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I did just about the same, jeep to truck, although I went to Dodge--I already have a Ford Ranger 4x4-

Sweet, thanks for the tips. Haven't joined the forum there yet, but have used it in narrowing what options I wanted on the truck. Beds already lined and has the OEM rubber mats. We'll see how they compare to weathertec which I've been impressed with in the past.

Looks like I'm looking at either snug top or ARE based on internet reviews for a topper. I'll be swinging past the dealers this week.

It's a lariat. I thought they came with the tailgate assist, but it's the base lariat, which I couldn't find anywhere local so maybe that's only on the higher option packages. Guess I'll find out when it shows up. There was only 2 '16 lariats with the HD payloads on lots in the US at this point, found this one in MN as a dealer demo. So I'll be patiently waiting for it to arrive, which gives plenty of time for my imagination of upgrades to run wild.

I looked at all the canopy mfgs and ARE sold me with their "OVERLAND" model-
SUNP0109%20-%20Copy_zpswgsjgkgm.jpg

SUNP0105%20-%20Copy_zpsx4vtjch4.jpg

CHECKEMOUT on the internet-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Bilstein has a really nice 5100 shock with notches for adjusting ride height for leveling. So unlike a spacer, it won't jack up your down travel and over extend the suspension. Just don't get carried away and run too much front ride ht. The higher you go, the less down travel you'll have, and a harsher ride because of it. Use just enough to clear your tires.

Do you really need a winch? I got rid of mine and just use a highlift jack and 80' of chain now.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Getting excited.

F150 should roll into town here in the next day or so....:wings:

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed the topper to a snug top; up between the hi-liner and rebel. Looking at vented win doors and the flip up glass up front.

I'm curious if I left the front glass open how often rain would blow in? Thoughts/experiences?

Also any opinions on cab hi vs the taller hi Liner?

I'm leaning toward the hi liner as I plan to make drawers, but have worries on total height with a rack.

smd3

I've been working on a new F150 after coming from a Tacoma.

I'm getting a Mule rack from Expedition One. It's mostly a direct fit, but instead of bolting it to the bed sides directly, I'm going to install some aircraft L track. (The weight goes on the bed rails, the L track only keeps it in place.

For an ecoboost, I think the best option is the Warn Gen 2 Trans4mer. It's the only winch mount that specifically states it's good with the ecoboost. The rest block the intercooler.

I don't think any new vehicle is good in the rain with the windows open. My tacoma wasn't, and the Ford seems just as bad. Another issue with the Ford is it has a wide shelf for snow to collect on. I've had the window freeze up once or twice. (Not to mention the door locks, which is a known issue being covered by Ford...You just have to complain about it and they're replacing some of the latch mechanism)

I miss the Tacoma's shorter wheel base and easy maneuvering. I've got the 4-door short bed F150, and the thing is a real beast. That 3.5 ecoboost sure is nice though, no lack of power even at high altitudes.

kmlacroix

Explorer
Installing a winch will be well over 2k on an ecoBoost. If you want a hidden winch, the only option is the FullRace intercooler relocate. At least with the HDPP the extra 200lbs with a winch and bumper combo will be less noticeable. The other option is a receiver mount portable winch.

wanabxtrm

Observer
I've been doing alot of reading on the warm multimount and similar knockoffs. My initial impression/thought wasn't very good. But I'm beginning to lean that way given the relative lack of full bumpers (coming from a jeep), as it can be used with our other car (Sequoia) too. I'm honestly surprised and dissapointed that ARB doesn't make a bumper for it. The payload lessons I learned with the jeep were a driving factor in getting the HD version of the F150. 2 bumpers, a roof rack/topper and legal payload is eaten up quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles