230GE in UT...any advice?

Mastodon4x4

Correction - a '95 G320 with 200k+ miles is not "insanely cheap" at $19,800.

That's a very used G with not a lot of power, a 4-speed, and one that will need at least a good going-through at both axles and all driveshafts ($$$).

If it came with good service records detailing axle and driveshaft maintenance, as well as an updated engine harness, that could be a reasonable price provided the rest of the truck was decent.

Mid 90's G's have never needed "re-wiring". No one said they did. That's a misnomer. The M104's need new wiring harnesses, which basically unclip in a number of places, are removed, and then the new one is routed in and plugged into those places. No re-wiring.

What the truck sold for when it was new is also totally irrelevant. Lots of once-expensive cars are selling for peanuts now, especially with 200k miles on them. On the other hand, some cheaper cars are selling for more now than when they were new, or at least close to it.

$19800 for a retail customer on a 95 G320 4 door with everything working and a nicely "dialed in truck" is cheap. I buy and sell G wagons on a weekly basis. Please update urself on current markets. If you find one for a lot less please let me know as these days we need 4 door shells for build outs. What it sold for new is completely relevant considering the parts to rebuild the trucks are still quite expensive. Not sure if you have followed this post but we're currently finishing up a restoration on a g320 for a customer who purchased it new at the cost of around 38k. Most of that is replacing OEM parts. So again, totally relevant to the original cost. Expensive car expensive parts. I would imagine if you restored a 1995 Jeep Wrangler with all the same OEM parts it wouldn't cost you 38k in parts and labor to make it look and feel new again considering you can buy a new Jeep Wrangler for that. You can't buy a new Gwagon for that. So again, totally relevant.

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
What an entertaining pi$$ing match this has turned out to be. I have owned, driven, serviced and repaired G's continuously since 1984; so I should have a bit of credence when it comes to a G.

I don't think that a new G320, even from Europa Int'l, ever sold for US$136,000 in the US. The 1999 and 2000 Europa Int'l G500's listed for US$135,000, although my current 2000 G500 was a Neiman Marcus Special Edition which listed and sold for US$160,000. (It's called "Marketing".)

As for the G being especially expensive to maintain, that is another artifact from Europa Int'l's historically high markup. When Europa Int'l was the only US supplier of parts for the G, I could obtain parts from Germany at lower cost including shipping and customs duty. My own personal experience today is that parts are pretty much readily available from a variety of sources - including some discounting MBUSA dealers' parts counters, and cost wise are about the same as parts for a same year Mercedes-Benz automobile.

Yes, the G was/is more expensive to purchase and maintain than a Jeep or Toyota; but that goes almost without saying. It's a Mercedes, and a far superior vehicle.

Nuff said. I'm pi$$ed out, but not off.

Last edited:

JoeLA

Correction - a '95 G320 with 200k+ miles is not "insanely cheap" at $19,800.

That's a very used G with not a lot of power, a 4-speed, and one that will need at least a good going-through at both axles and all driveshafts ($$$).

If it came with good service records detailing axle and driveshaft maintenance, as well as an updated engine harness, that could be a reasonable price provided the rest of the truck was decent.

Mid 90's G's have never needed "re-wiring". No one said they did. That's a misnomer. The M104's need new wiring harnesses, which basically unclip in a number of places, are removed, and then the new one is routed in and plugged into those places. No re-wiring.

What the truck sold for when it was new is also totally irrelevant. Lots of once-expensive cars are selling for peanuts now, especially with 200k miles on them. On the other hand, some cheaper cars are selling for more now than when they were new, or at least close to it.

Thank you, All-Terrian. That is exactly where the market is. I was considering another G320 that is exactly as you described with a 140k miles. The wiring harness had been redone and upgraded. The whole truck had not been rewired. Axles had been redone. It was going to need a steering box at some point. Records going way back showing all maintenance. The deal stalled because the guy wanted $22k. It had been for sale for many months, and is probably still available 7-8 months after it was first listed. Hence, the market was speaking on its value. I, like you All-Terrian,, had determined a fair market value of about $20k on that solid truck with history and most maintenance up to date. That value was based on recent sales from various sources. Hence, your G320 with shady and or unknown history, Tim, was wildly over priced. Plus I recall you had it posted for $21k?

Last edited:

Mastodon4x4

Done with this thread guys. The truck sold couple of months ago to an enthusiast that knew what he was buying and I got the 19800 I wanted for it plus the guy added about 3500 in extra equipment. The market is going up on most of these older trucks. Not down.

Mastodon4x4

Which all the more emphasizes the importance of "Caveat Emptor"!!

I had to look that up being American and all. Definitely do your research and due diligence if ur buying any old Gwagon. If its one of my cars or from a seller across the pond or an innocent 82 year old woman who only drove it on Sunday to the grocery store 3 miles away. Also BE REALISTIC on Gwagons. If you are expecting any Gwagon fully serviced with no leaks and everything replaced for 15-18k then ur dreaming and You should settle for a unicorn 🦄 with golden horse shoes or a flying carpet or maybe even a RAV4

Last edited:

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I had to look that up being American and all. Definitely do your research and due diligence if ur buying any old Gwagon. If its one of my cars or from a seller across the pond or an innocent 82 year old woman who only drove it on Sunday to the grocery store 3 miles away. Also BE REALISTIC on Gwagons. If you are expecting any Gwagon fully serviced with no leaks and everything replaced for 15-18k then ur dreaming and You should settle for a unicorn �� with golden horse shoes or a flying carpet or maybe even a RAV4

Now you're just being childish.

Fact of the matter is, no one is asking for a unicorn with golden horseshoes.

A fair price for a vehicle with its issues known up front is all anyone wants, not this "That never happens to these trucks" nonsense.

Obviously you want to make the max you can on your vehicles. So no one here should be surprised by that either.

But that's why forums like this exist - so that potential buyers can do their research before they spend their cash and take their chances.

JoeLA

The marque forums are gold. Tim, your remarks about unicorns are as if you hadn't been reading the posts. I wasn't looking for a trailer queen or a redone truck. To set the record straight, a mid 90's G320 has several factors which effect its price. Miles, condition, and specific maintenance such as if the axles have been gone through, the steering box has been redone, and finally if the biodegradable wiring harness has been replaced. Those determine the value for a buyer that does their research and due diligence.

Mastodon4x4

The marque forums are gold. Tim, your remarks about unicorns are as if you hadn't been reading the posts. I wasn't looking for a trailer queen or a redone truck. To set the record straight, a mid 90's G320 has several factors which effect its price. Miles, condition, and specific maintenance such as if the axles have been gone through, the steering box has been redone, and finally if the biodegradable wiring harness has been replaced. Those determine the value for a buyer that does their research and due diligence.

Yes guys I've read the post and the fact that we're going round and round about what a car is worth that I've already sold a long time ago and it didn't have any electrical issues and i didn't go ahead a replace the wiring because it's a know issue on a $19800 1995 Europa G320 is as ridiculous as my unicorn Golden horseshoe comment. I understand everyone wants the nicest car for the money. Sorry for my comments not trying to be rude just think it's comical that you guys are beating on this dead horse. Again now that I know thanks to you guys I'll say "I'm not sure if it's been replaced but I've been told it's a known issue. Maybe you should get an inspection".

Last edited:

JoeLA

I'm going to post an objective review of my experience attempting to buy an older G-class 463 from Jean at G-Mercedes. I called Jean in late September and had a long discussion about the 463's he is in the business of importing from Europe. I liked his approach of finding very clean rust free quality early 463's. He had a silver 1991 diesel 463 with 120km on it that he said he would have back in the US by November. He said it had service records and he was asking $29k. After seeing the pics he sent me. I called him back immediately and wanted to put a refundable deposit on it. He said he only worked with NON-refundable deposits. I had never bought a car long distance with a NON-refundable deposit.
He indicated that normally he does business that way to secure a vehicle he's importing and that he would send me extensive pictures and pics of the service history. I agreed and said let's go over the service records and get the pics asap. He said as soon as he got to Germany he would get me the pics and would consider me first in line for this truck. Then, 4 weeks went by, and 8 emails in which he kept telling me he was working on the pics. To be patient. In the emails, I reminded him that we agreed to a deposit and detailed pictures so we could move forward with the purchase.

Then in the 4th week and I get an email said he told a deposit for the 463 from someone else. Here is the exchange in a few emails:

Jean writes On Nov 4, 2016, at 9:39 AM, info@g-mercedes.com wrote:
>Hello Joe,
>Sorry for the late responce, but we are on the road a lot, and crossing through Europe all the time.
>
>The silver 463 has no A/C, and the car is already pending, to a buyer who bought it unseen.
>
>We would have a white 463 on which you could add the A/C or we have a very rare 350GD ! with original A/C. But the car will be more >expensive then the white one.
>Thanks,
>Jean
>Thanks and regards,
>G-Mercedes, L.L.C.
>Jean Saris
>info@g-mercedes.com
>www.g-mercedes.com

I responded:
>Van: Joe ***** [mailto:******@mac.com]
>Verzonden: vrijdag 4 november 2016 18:02
>Aan: info@g-mercedes.com
>Onderwerp: Re: Silver GD300 TALK ON PHONE
>Jean,
>I’m very confused. You and I talked several times about the silver one. You said you would send me more pics and details about the >service history and we could arrange a deposit. Now it is sold? You recall, we talked on the phone and I asked what your process is and the next steps?

Jean Writes On Nov 5, 2016, at 5:08 AM, info@g-mercedes.com wrote:
>Hello Joe,
>To explain the sale of the silver one: I know you were waiting on more details, but the gentleman who bought the vehicle received the same info I sent to >you, and then he decided to buy the vehicle, and he did that before we had a chance to send you more info.
>I will give you a call in the morning.
>Thanks,
>Jean

We talked on the phone and his explanation was weak. He said he had a deal in the works for another similar 463. After a few conversations that turned out to be not as good a truck (145k MILES) for $32,500.

At this point I am giving up on Jean and G-Mercedes. You be the judge. I felt it was a very unprofessional experience. He assured me on the phone I was the first one in line for this vehicle.

Hi All,
An update on Jean at G-Mercedes. He just read the reviews and sent me a snarky email. If you are conducting long distance business, you need a certain level of trust on what a person is representing. Jean and his practices are not ones which inspire trust.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Hi All,
An update on Jean at G-Mercedes. He just read the reviews and sent me a snarky email. If you are conducting long distance business, you need a certain level of trust on what a person is representing. Jean and his practices are not ones which inspire trust.

Looks like another one to add to the "Avoid List".

Daurie

I'll chime in here real quick. My girlfriend and I have one-way tickets to go pick up our Mastodon build on April 6th. We began working with Tim in late 2015. We wrote him a check for roughly half our build in January 2016 once we finalized a plan and found a suitable truck. We have made a few trips out and Tim and Teia were more than hospitable. Last visit we had to Denver in July '16 the truck was painted, seats were covered and the interior was being prepped for new paneling. Our seats and the interiors in the trucks he had in the shop were done top notch. Paint looked great too. This was before Tim had his paint shop up and running. He did say he had our body repainted a second time because he was unhappy with the first go so obviously they pay attention to details. We opted to go with an OM603 with a reman'd auto trans from the same supplier, which did take a minute to source from a builder that offers a warranty. I saw a picture of the engine on Instagram and it was very clean.

We had actually planned the last trip in July around our vacation and were planning on using our new truck to get around and back home. Being that it wasn't ready Tim let us use one of his personal trucks for over a week so our vacation plans wouldn't be affected.

Once we get the truck I'll post up some pictures and more info in a new thread.

McBride

Adventurer
As long as we are all getting up in arms about spelling your link doesn't go anywhere - it's clubgwagen.com .

Mastodon is a site sponsor and a great bunch of guys - they are currently doing Scott's truck as well as a few for me. There are several great shops out there for G's, and the beauty of them is the interchangeability of them throughout the range. I am certainly not discounting any of the other suggestions for help with your inquiry, I am just suggesting that you do your own research after gathering information here and going with the best fit for what you are wanting to accomplish. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do, and be sure to post up pics!

Apologies in advance for any misspelling...

So how are your (few) Mastodon G's? Delivered and running awesome from the get go? Worth the price? This seems to have turned into a veracity thread and I'm sure other expo folks would like to know. Thanks.

McBride

Adventurer
I'll chime in here real quick. My girlfriend and I have one-way tickets to go pick up our Mastodon build on April 6th. We began working with Tim in late 2015. We wrote him a check for roughly half our build in January 2016 once we finalized a plan and found a suitable truck. We have made a few trips out and Tim and Teia were more than hospitable. Last visit we had to Denver in July '16 the truck was painted, seats were covered and the interior was being prepped for new paneling. Our seats and the interiors in the trucks he had in the shop were done top notch. Paint looked great too. This was before Tim had his paint shop up and running. He did say he had our body repainted a second time because he was unhappy with the first go so obviously they pay attention to details. We opted to go with an OM603 with a reman'd auto trans from the same supplier, which did take a minute to source from a builder that offers a warranty. I saw a picture of the engine on Instagram and it was very clean.

We had actually planned the last trip in July around our vacation and were planning on using our new truck to get around and back home. Being that it wasn't ready Tim let us use one of his personal trucks for over a week so our vacation plans wouldn't be affected.

Once we get the truck I'll post up some pictures and more info in a new thread.

How's the new Mastodon G? It's August, 2017 now. Hope you received it well sorted and are enjoying the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles