I Need Opinions. You Guys Like Giving Opinions, Right?

LilPoppa

Adventurer
So I'm thinking about getting a flatbed ATC Shell. I'm buying a truck soon, and while I would like the size of an 8' camper, the one thing that is really bothering me is the breakover angle on a truck that big. What if I got a truck with a 6 1/2' bed (and thus a shorter wheelbase) and put an 8' flatbed on it. Obviously now my departure angle will suffer, but a flatbed is higher off the ground anyway, so maybe it won't be so bad(?).
For the interior of the camper, the plan is to keep it pretty sparse. I'd just use lightweight camping furniture and storage boxes so I can move everything around to balance out the weight. I'm thinking I would be able to mitigate any COG issues that way.
I've used trucks at more than one job in mining and the oil sands with pretty long flatbeds, so I don't think it should be too bad. But if anybody has any input, I would appreciate it.

kmlacroix

Explorer
Find an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Depending on year and configuration you will have between 2400 - 3000 lbs of payload. I believe it only comes on the 6.5' bed.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
What cab configuration are you getting?
Super cab I think they're called. Not a crew cab, not a regular.
Find an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Depending on year and configuration you will have between 2400 - 3000 lbs of payload. I believe it only comes on the 6.5' bed.
Oh yeah? I'll look for one for sure. I didn't realize that existed.

Clutch

<---Pass
Super cab I think they're called. Not a crew cab, not a regular.

Here is an idea how far an 8' camper will hangover the rear on a 6.5' bed. Which isn't too bad. Would imagine the flatbed would sit right where that crease is on the lower body panel that runs the length of the truck..

IMG_0550.jpg

Could do a 6.5-7' flat bed...then angle it back like on this Fuso.

flatbed-fuso-four-wheel-parking-space-1.jpg

Or do long bed, then bob it...so your departure angle isn't too bad. Perhaps a compromise on bed length...7' feet or so.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Oh yeah, that angled back would be cool. Aren't FWC flatbeds like that? I kind of want to keep the costs down though, so I want to keep customizing to a minimum. I do, however want a huge barn door, if they can do it.
That's a good idea going 7'. I probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway. I only exchanged one email with ATC when I asked about size and the guy said they could do whatever length I want.

Last edited:

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Lilpoppa, for my two cents, for that amount of weight, I would get a 2500 series truck. Yes, the 150 heavy haulers are out there, a few, but I always like to be over gunned. Cut butter with a chain saw, as it were. They put tranny coolers on, heavy duty shocks and actually a bit thicker of a frame. So yes, Ford rates the heavy halves to haul that much weight. But, in looking at the list of mods I saw no indications of mods to the axle bearings. For that amount of weight, I want a full floating rear axle. Further, I saw nothing about larger brakes. With that amount of weight, I want larger, more heavy duty brakes. Two very important items when evaluating your truck purchase.

Good luck with your search . Hope this helped.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Lilpoppa, for my two cents, for that amount of weight, I would get a 2500 series truck. Yes, the 150 heavy haulers are out there, a few, but I always like to be over gunned. Cut butter with a chain saw, as it were. They put tranny coolers on, heavy duty shocks and actually a bit thicker of a frame. So yes, Ford rates the heavy halves to haul that much weight. But, in looking at the list of mods I saw no indications of mods to the axle bearings. For that amount of weight, I want a full floating rear axle. Further, I saw nothing about larger brakes. With that amount of weight, I want larger, more heavy duty brakes. Two very important items when evaluating your truck purchase.

Good luck with your search . Hope this helped.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to take a look a these HD F150s, but I agree with you, a 3/4 tonne or more would likely be best. I'd rather have lots of payload to spare than be even a little under.

STREGA

Explorer
I agree with CCPAjeep on a 2500 truck, 3500 even better IMO. A 7' long flatbed popup shell would look good on a truck that came with a 6.5' truck bed. 8' would be to long with to much overhang and would look funny, just my humble opion.

I'am currently building a similar truck/camper adventure rig and have a build thread here in the domestic truck threads. ATC is very flexible on custom sizes that they will build unlike FWC, not to mention a lot more affordable. They also offer a shell model whereas FWC doesn't.

cheepsk8

Observer
A flat bed has to have the deck higher than the rear tires for clearance. That raises your center of gravity. If you pull a trailer with a short bed and a full size camper in it, it could make it a PITA to hook up the hitch. IMHO

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I agree with CCPAjeep on a 2500 truck, 3500 even better IMO. A 7' long flatbed popup shell would look good on a truck that came with a 6.5' truck bed. 8' would be to long with to much overhang and would look funny, just my humble opion.

I'am currently building a similar truck/camper adventure rig and have a build thread here in the domestic truck threads. ATC is very flexible on custom sizes that they will build unlike FWC, not to mention a lot more affordable. They also offer a shell model whereas FWC doesn't.

I just went through (and subscribed) to your thread. It looks like you're doing what I'm dreaming of doing. I'll probably be copying you quite a bit in the next year, haha. I really like that rear step.

I'm thinking more and more that a 1-tonne is the way to go. After seeing you end up with over 3000lbs to work with after the flatbed being installed swayed me a bit. It will be my "DD", and will therefore suck (literally and figuratively) in the milage department, but I don't drive that much anyway. I have the opposite of vehicle ADD and want to have this truck for many years, so no sense overloading it.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
A flat bed has to have the deck higher than the rear tires for clearance. That raises your center of gravity. If you pull a trailer with a short bed and a full size camper in it, it could make it a PITA to hook up the hitch. IMHO

Noted. I'm not sure if I'll be towing too much with it with the camper on. I was actually thinking about getting a backup camera installed, so that will help if I do. Also, not to brag, but I'm a wizard with a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles