Heating : Hot air on driver's side, cool air on passenger side

snare

Adventurer
Gen 2.5

In one position it does as I describe above (driver's side hot, passenger's cold). In the other position, it does both hot.

I would've guessed the fresh cold air would be even between both sides.

Thanks for the help

Swank Force One

Adventurer
If it's a Gen 2, make sure the control on the center vents isn't allowing fresh cold air in.

I have this issue on my gen2.5. Center vents always ice cold, and also won't shut off completely with the "switch."

Is the fix pretty much "expect a crappy weekend of removing the dash and poking around and swearing?"

evol911

Observer
Mine do the same thing and I've had my dash out a couple of times. I believe that it's supposed to be like that. You have two options: use recirculation air or close the individual vents. I think that the center vent is a fresh air vent. I could be wrong.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Mine do the same thing and I've had my dash out a couple of times. I believe that it's supposed to be like that. You have two options: use recirculation air or close the individual vents. I think that the center vent is a fresh air vent. I could be wrong.

Hrm.

I can't get mine to close completely. Really annoying on top of my super weak heat in cold weather in the first place. This truck is starting to wear thin on my nerves.

evol911

Observer
The heater cores are too small for the volume of air inside these trucks. If temps are freezing, I can usually only get the inside of the truck to maybe 60*. Nature of the beast I guess. Gen 3 rear heat makes a big difference. Seat heaters are a great suggestion.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The heater cores are too small for the volume of air inside these trucks. If temps are freezing, I can usually only get the inside of the truck to maybe 60*. Nature of the beast I guess. Gen 3 rear heat makes a big difference. Seat heaters are a great suggestion.

That's disappointing, as one of the long term goals for mine was to take it up to AK. It's pretty brutal driving this thing through Iowa in -30F weather.

Our Gen3 will sweat you out of the truck no matter the outside temps, this is true.

My oem seat heaters still "work," but they do that super annoying 5-minutes-on-10-minutes-off pulse that almost all 90s seat heaters do. Adapting different seats with aftermarket heaters was in the plan anyways. Seriously bummed about the heater core thing, though. Was planning on replacing it in Spring "just because" but wasn't looking forward to the cost. Now less so if it's undersized. I suppose it's not helping that all the rear seats have been removed in mine, creating more air space.

Should i maybe think about doing some insulation on floor/roof/doors, upgrading alternator and maybe getting a 12v heat source as auxilary?

emmagator

In my 2002 limited i had the same issue. Blowing cold except far left driver side front vent. Popped hoses off underneath the truck for the heater, flushed both front and rear cores. A bunch of nasty build up came out and the heater blew hot everywhere for about 3 weeks, now its back to cold. Im planning on flushing the core again.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
My truck's heat is more than sufficient, it will roast you out in any cold weather given enough time. I've also always talked about how quickly the Montero starts making heat, out of my 3 vehicles (other two are smaller cars), it puts out heat in just a few minutes, and puts out plenty once fully warmed up.
I'd guess that people's different experiences might be related to clogged heater cores ( either inside or out, or a little of both), or weak fan motors.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
My truck's heat is more than sufficient, it will roast you out in any cold weather given enough time. I've also always talked about how quickly the Montero starts making heat, out of my 3 vehicles (other two are smaller cars), it puts out heat in just a few minutes, and puts out plenty once fully warmed up.
I'd guess that people's different experiences might be related to clogged heater cores ( either inside or out, or a little of both), or weak fan motors.

Does yours have any weirdness with the front center vents blowing cold?

evol911

Observer
Most cars have a valve that shuts off flow to the heater core when you have the heater off. Montero's have coolant flowing through constantly, there is no shutoff.

Yes, my Montero can get hot inside if I was on a long enough drive but for my 25-30 min. commute to work, best I'll see is 60* or so when outside temps are 20-30*. I'm not complaining, you just have to realize there is a lot of air to warm in these trucks and glass if you are using them in freezing temps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles