The Downside of Titan Swaps

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I was curious if those who have Titan swapped can list the issue they have had. Has the increased track width at the front ever prevented you form being able to travel down a Jeep trail?

bigskypylot

Explorer
Nothing really. If you don't want the increased track width, use Pathy V8 halfshafts for stock width. I'm waiting to do mine til sometime this summer.

jhberria

Adventurer
Nothing really. If you don't want the increased track width, use Pathy V8 halfshafts for stock width. I'm waiting to do mine til sometime this summer.

If you do this, you're just allowing yourself to run the M205 front differential, you're not truly 'Titan Swapping'. Which is fine if you simply want the benefit of having the more robust differential in place of the R180.

If you truly want to TS, you've got to use the Titan width LCAs, UCAs, tie rods, and CVs. There's no choice but to significantly widen your track width. This, of course, comes with significant gains in articulation from the IFS, which is why most people Titan Swap in the first place.

bigskypylot

Explorer
If you do this, you're just allowing yourself to run the M205 front differential, you're not truly 'Titan Swapping'. Which is fine if you simply want the benefit of having the more robust differential in place of the R180.

If you truly want to TS, you've got to use the Titan width LCAs, UCAs, tie rods, and CVs. There's no choice but to significantly widen your track width. This, of course, comes with significant gains in articulation from the IFS, which is why most people Titan Swap in the first place.

Indeed, that is correct.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I am referring to the suspension Titan Swap. With a Lokka in the R180 it should be as strong or stronger then an open M205. I am more curious if the extra track width ever becomes a concern on narrow and tight trails?

bigskypylot

Explorer
I can't speak from experience yet, but figure it's not as wide as a Raptor and they still tend to go quite a few places. The only way to know is go. But do your research first. I got in to a situation on a tight trail outside of Asheville that I'm glad the Xterra was the size it was so I could turn around. Having the extra width and travel may have helped but it was still a really sketchy spot

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I installed the M205 with Pathfinder shafts earlier this year. I am now considering also going to the Titan suspension. I may be interested in selling my Pathfinder V8 CV shafts if someone is interested.

JOSX2

Observer
I am referring to the suspension Titan Swap. With a Lokka in the R180 it should be as strong or stronger then an open M205. I am more curious if the extra track width ever becomes a concern on narrow and tight trails?
You're only looking at an extra 1.5" width on each side. Your side view mirrors, when folded, stick out further than a TS stance. If the "wider" stance causes you a problem...you've got bigger problems to deal with.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

JOSX2

Observer
yeah...you guys are right *facepalm* Dunno why I thought it was 1.5"

anyways...3" still ain't gonna make things tight. Gonna guess that body width with folded-in sideview mirrors is still wider than the TS stance itself.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Depending on the state you live in, and the vehicle inspections, you may not pass inspection and not be able to get it registered and legal to drive on the street.
I really hated how much mud/sand/gunk the tires sprayed down the sides of the vehicle. You can't drive with your arm out an open window because all the little sand/pebbles pounding your arm.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Titan swaps always seemed overkill to me, at least for what I'm doing. Yeah, you get the extra articulation, but I've yet to not have enough travel on the trails I run. I know there are people out there that put that mod to good use though.

My big issue with the Titan swap is the width. Sure, for the most part it's not going to stop you getting down a narrow trail. I've been on a few where it would be super tight if you were swapped though. And I hate the idea of having that much more width for one reason: mud. When you drive through mud on a stock width setup, mud goes flying into the inner fenders and sticks there. It sucks to clean out, but it's not too bad. If you're on a Titan swap, every time you go through any mud or puddles, all that mud will completely cover the side of the truck. Blackdawg has mentioned that to me about his long travel Taco. Plus like the above poster said, having your arm out the window would suck.

WEK207

Depending on the state you live in, and the vehicle inspections, you may not pass inspection and not be able to get it registered and legal to drive on the street.
I really hated how much mud/sand/gunk the tires sprayed down the sides of the vehicle. You can't drive with your arm out an open window because all the little sand/pebbles pounding your arm.

Yup. In Maine you would need to have flares wide enough to pass. I used to take the spacers off my dad's Jeep, have it inspected, and reinstall because his flares weren't wide enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles