*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

River19

Observer
Interesting to hear you didn't like the Nittos. I was actually considering the new Ridge Grappler which seems like a good all-around tire. I like the Toyo/Nitto carcasses and have had great luck balancing them. I like the Duratrac but I've seen too many sidewall punctures on the trail (first hand) to consider them. Plus I've never been a fan of Goodyears after running my Kevlars.

My selection is down to:
- Nitto Ridge Grappler
- Cooper STT Pro
- Mickey Thompson MTZ P3
- Cooper ST Maxx

To be clear my experience and issues with Nittos are based on using them on heavier rigs. Terra Grapplers were on my diesel F250 and turned that thing into a wallowy POS when I towed our horse trailer unless I had the rear inflated to the max pressure (only 65psi). In the winter they were down right scary and I had an 8500lb sled, the Duratracs on that rig transformed it into a winter beast and their stiffness was notable when towing. The Trail Grapplers are on my current 2014 Ram 2500 (I bought it gently used with 17K on the clock) and the previous owner installed the Nittos. They are stiff enough and they allow me to meet the Ram suggested OEM 85psi range for the rears.....but they wear so damn quickly, on a 3/4 ton rig they are 20-25K mile tires at best. I don't drive the Ram in the snow so I can't speak to snow performance. With those tires my issue is wear not performance per se.

The Generals on my Tundra are wearing like iron....I have about 40-45K on those and I'd say tread is about 40% still at this point.

For the lighter rigs like the Toyotas perhaps the Nittos will wear differently but I hear they generally use a softer compound, hence the wear. Everyone seems to have different experiences and if someone is putting <10K miles per year on a rig then a 30K tire might be acceptable. We drive ~450-500 miles round trip per weekend up to our cabin and deal with mud, ice and snow from October through May so I need something that will last and provide good performance at 75mph, snow and in legit mud season on dirt roads. Hunting season also finds me on logging roads that sometimes are rockier and muddier than we would like :)

Shadowkross

Snow pics look awesome! I've always wanted to chop down my own Christmas tree, I guess I'll have to find somewhere out here that does it for next year. Can't wait to see it with all the goodies you ordered!

zidaro

Explorer
Thanks, been watching you're build closely. I saw you recently got out in the snow with your beadlocks. Looking good! Curious, what was your rationale for going with glass up front? You sticking to 285's or going bigger later?

Snow is FUN!! really fun when there is a bottom to get down to when your past where you should be :) I see you got some!

Went with glass in front for a couple reasons. and cuz i like the look, i like the tires being completely covered by fender in front to avoid snow/water/mud spray up the side onto my arm or in the window.
First was to clear the tires without cutting. I chopped the body mounts in the rear, but front and upper fender would have needed minor trimming to clear on full stuff. With the bumper fully removed. I am not positive, but feel 35"s are in the future if things go the way i would like. This also means a front suspension redesign and a wider rear axle- future plans, for certain not near. But for now i have the room when needed.
Second reason- i plan to build a front bumper (soon) and wanted glass fenders, wanted to build the bumper to fit the fenders.

tyv12

Adventurer
On my second set of s/t maxx, balance up amazing and good compromise of at and mt tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
I see you got your snow fix! Looks like fun.

Yah it was fun. Barely scratches the itch though... I didn't even air down!

To be clear my experience and issues with Nittos are based on using them on heavier rigs. Terra Grapplers were on my diesel F250 and turned that thing into a wallowy POS when I towed our horse trailer unless I had the rear inflated to the max pressure (only 65psi). In the winter they were down right scary and I had an 8500lb sled, the Duratracs on that rig transformed it into a winter beast and their stiffness was notable when towing. The Trail Grapplers are on my current 2014 Ram 2500 (I bought it gently used with 17K on the clock) and the previous owner installed the Nittos. They are stiff enough and they allow me to meet the Ram suggested OEM 85psi range for the rears.....but they wear so damn quickly, on a 3/4 ton rig they are 20-25K mile tires at best. I don't drive the Ram in the snow so I can't speak to snow performance. With those tires my issue is wear not performance per se.

The Generals on my Tundra are wearing like iron....I have about 40-45K on those and I'd say tread is about 40% still at this point.

For the lighter rigs like the Toyotas perhaps the Nittos will wear differently but I hear they generally use a softer compound, hence the wear. Everyone seems to have different experiences and if someone is putting <10K miles per year on a rig then a 30K tire might be acceptable. We drive ~450-500 miles round trip per weekend up to our cabin and deal with mud, ice and snow from October through May so I need something that will last and provide good performance at 75mph, snow and in legit mud season on dirt roads. Hunting season also finds me on logging roads that sometimes are rockier and muddier than we would like :)

Fair enough. You always see the difference in tire reviews coming from the heavier rigs vs. lighter. Interesting how the weight plays such a big role but something I certainly would not debate.

Snow pics look awesome! I've always wanted to chop down my own Christmas tree, I guess I'll have to find somewhere out here that does it for next year. Can't wait to see it with all the goodies you ordered!

Yah the wife and I said we wanted to start making it a yearly tradition. Definitely a good time. I am also stoked to start turning wrenches! Too bad its -30C (-20F) here right now. It's so cold I barely go outside. haha

Snow is FUN!! really fun when there is a bottom to get down to when your past where you should be :) I see you got some!

Went with glass in front for a couple reasons. and cuz i like the look, i like the tires being completely covered by fender in front to avoid snow/water/mud spray up the side onto my arm or in the window.
First was to clear the tires without cutting. I chopped the body mounts in the rear, but front and upper fender would have needed minor trimming to clear on full stuff. With the bumper fully removed. I am not positive, but feel 35"s are in the future if things go the way i would like. This also means a front suspension redesign and a wider rear axle- future plans, for certain not near. But for now i have the room when needed.
Second reason- i plan to build a front bumper (soon) and wanted glass fenders, wanted to build the bumper to fit the fenders.

Oh the fun starts when you can air the tires down to 4 psi and stay on top of the powder! haha I see your logic in the glass fenders and actually think they are nicer on this platform than anything else out there. I'll be following your build closely, you definitely have some nice Toyotas!

No interest in the Toyo R/T? I've had my eye on it for a while.

Toyos are too heavy. R/T or M/T.

^ This. Weight is a concern as the Toyo's and Nitto's are SO much heavier than everything else. Literally around 15% additional rotational mass just going with one of those tires and rotational mass translates to fuel economy, acceleration, and braking performance. I am trying to build something very very slightly more road friendly this time. The Tundra was VERY good as a DD (considering how capable it was) but I want to go one more notch towards driveability/overland on this build so the tire selection is crucial in my eyes. I actually really like the RT (from a looks tread design perspective as I havent ran them). We also don't get them in Canada. The Nitto Ridge Grappler is based off the RT though and we do get those in Canada. I do love the available sizes for these tires also.

On my second set of s/t maxx, balance up amazing and good compromise of at and mt tire
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually ran these on my Tundra when I was using the truck for work - 265/70/17. Really liked them and they are definitely on my radar.

All my suspension is waiting for me in Montana. Hoping to head down there next weekend to grab it but it depends if my wheels make it there in time.

rickashay

Explorer
-20? Damn. Makes my +20 seem like a tropical breeze

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Yah it sucks! I even managed to catch the flu... certainly not helping motivate me to work on the truck!

My Scoche double-din kit did show up finally. Nice to have the stereo install finished off and all the trim back in place. Really happy with how the wrap turned out once installed too!

IMG_8428.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

So many parts waiting at the border... Might make a trip next weekend to grab all of the suspension components. Fingers still cross if my wheels will show up or not in time.

Last edited:

River19

Observer
Looks great.......very nice job and it takes a lot of patience........ can appreciate that........and I hope you are feeling better, the flu **********************......although as you get better, you appreciate the little things.....like being able to be vertical without a pounding headache.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles