Smittybilt RTT anyone seen one or use one

kcabpilot

Observer
Bought one off Amazon on sale for $749. Pretty much what has already been said it is, after all, the cheapest RTT you can buy. I got it for a long expedition like road trip next month. All I will add at this time is that it might make sense to buy a cheap RTT to determine if it's even something you want to go with. It has both advantages and disadvantages. Not so great for a weekender as it's really a bit of a chore getting it up and mounted on the roof to begin with. Adds weight up high and lots of aerodynamic drag. For traveling and primitive camping however it is kind of nice. Setting up camp is very quick and it is comfortable.

If you're certain that RTT is the thing you want maybe just pay the price and get one of the modern pop-up clamshell types. Of course you're looking at 3 or 4 times the cost so better be sure.

ykphil

Bought one off Amazon on sale for $749. Pretty much what has already been said it is, after all, the cheapest RTT you can buy. I got it for a long expedition like road trip next month. All I will add at this time is that it might make sense to buy a cheap RTT to determine if it's even something you want to go with. It has both advantages and disadvantages. Not so great for a weekender as it's really a bit of a chore getting it up and mounted on the roof to begin with. Adds weight up high and lots of aerodynamic drag. For traveling and primitive camping however it is kind of nice. Setting up camp is very quick and it is comfortable.

If you're certain that RTT is the thing you want maybe just pay the price and get one of the modern pop-up clamshell types. Of course you're looking at 3 or 4 times the cost so better be sure.

A oldish thread but I'll add that I have been using one of these RTT every day for the past couple of months on our Arctic-to-South America road trip. So far, I am quite happy and we have had no issue, and after a couple of months of practice, it now takes my wife and I less than 5 minutes to open it up, a little longer to close. It's been holding very well in high winds, rain, and snow. The only issue I see coming in the very near future is with the two velcro straps holding it down which will soon give up, so I am already planning to find a way to replace them with something sturdier. Aside from that, I can't see any reason to get a pricier model.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
ykphil said:
The only issue I see coming in the very near future is with the two velcro straps holding it down which will soon give up, so I am already planning to find a way to replace them with something sturdier.

Let us know. After 8 years, I've had one let go this year, and the other side isn't far off, so next year it's on the to-do list to fix, but not sure how yet that I want to.

fast_suv

Adventurer
Got mine installed

Picked this one up on Craigslist Sunday..

Installed it and popped it up .. Have not slept in it yet but for the price i paid im very happy.. not most high quality zippers or mesh netting but all in all i would say its a good entry level RTT.

I plan on using this for short trips when pulling the Expo Trailer is overkill or for additional sleepy space for the kids.

20161123_074507.jpg
20161122_204320.jpg

F40

Adventurer
Picked this one up on Craigslist Sunday..

Installed it and popped it up .. Have not slept in it yet but for the price i paid im very happy.. not most high quality zippers or mesh netting but all in all i would say its a good entry level RTT.

I plan on using this for short trips when pulling the Expo Trailer is overkill or for additional sleepy space for the kids.

View attachment 376241
View attachment 376240

Looks like an early to mid 2015 tent. The mesh on these is nicer than the newer ones in my opinion. Also, these have the bigger doors(taller) and windows which are nice.

fast_suv

Adventurer
Looks like an early to mid 2015 tent. The mesh on these is nicer than the newer ones in my opinion. Also, these have the bigger doors(taller) and windows which are nice.
Yeah, by no means am I complaining. Love it so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fast_suv

Adventurer
Is the floor the blueish grey material or white?
The outside floor is grayish/silverish I'm ot sure what color it is under the matress.. Can't remember..

The led light strip is battery operated rather than 12v

F40

Adventurer
The outside floor is grayish/silverish I'm ot sure what color it is under the matress.. Can't remember..

The led light strip is battery operated rather than 12v

Yep. Same as my first tent. These tents have some nice features compared to the newer ones. The cover is nicer, and the pole ends where they bolt to the hinge are metal instead of plastic. I've been meaning to do a comparison video between this tent and the newer ones:)

fast_suv

Adventurer
Yep. Same as my first tent. These tents have some nice features compared to the newer ones. The cover is nicer, and the pole ends where they bolt to the hinge are metal instead of plastic. I've been meaning to do a comparison video between this tent and the newer ones:)
I'd be interested.. If you need pictures/video lemme know... The person I got it from got it a year or so ago, used it one and tossed it in a shed. Really nice and clean..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles