Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

Scoutman

Explorer
I have issues with my Mt Shasta Ext when it is time to close up the tent. It collapses fine but all the external tent material ends up on the other side and leads to a lot of time spent tucking and stuffing all that material in to get cover on. Am I doing something wrong, is there a solution to this? I have a couple of black straps inside tent that I don't know what they are for, could be related! Thanks!

I take all that extra material and fold it over onto the top before I put the cover on. It saves a ton of time stuffing. The new CVT's don't seem to have those bungee cord anchors inside and even if they did they wouldn't pull in the overhang tent material and rainfly material.

Last edited:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have issues with my Mt Shasta Ext when it is time to close up the tent. It collapses fine but all the external tent material ends up on the other side and leads to a lot of time spent tucking and stuffing all that material in to get cover on. Am I doing something wrong, is there a solution to this? I have a couple of black straps inside tent that I don't know what they are for, could be related! Thanks!

When I close up my Mombasa, I usually follow in front of the zipper with my hand tucking in as I go along. I can make sure none of the material will get caught in the zipper. Mine is mounted over my pickup bed though so it is easier access. It has the bungees in it too but it seems to only do so much.

Lucky j

Explorer
Imdo have the same issue with my ARB pilbara and so does my gf with her autohome, but I do not consider this a problem. And when you are talking time consumming, in our case, 1 person can do this in about a minute. But my tent is mounted on a trailer, so maybe more accessible, and my gf autohome is on a toyota rav4, so no climbing but a lot of walkin around, bu still, maybe just a minute or 2 and in her case, tent is closed after that.

Way better than closing a ground tent that would be wet of with dirt inside and/or on the ground.

My own preference.

Badcoder

I am supplying power to my trailer via a Warn Winch connector. Hooks straight to my battery and is controlled using the included solenoid and switch in my cab.

furbucket

Observer
No-slip grip tape on the ladder rungs. How is this not included as stock...?
32dfe45f6092767d79923aaf98e37976.jpg

0277b6eb3353976e46e8d4f55a3ef377.jpg

Feline not included...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
Never really thought about that- doesn't seem to bother my bare feet, and for sure makes up and down in socks less treacherous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I know that my ladder steps are kind of texturized, not the smouth type like the ones we see with grip tape.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
on my last camping trip, it was below 0. i've done fine before with a bunch of the hand warmers prewarming my sleeping bag and liner, but this trip, my buddy got both of us the "car cozy 2" electric blanket....it was freakin' awesome! comes with a 7' cord, plugs into the cig lighter. not really big enough to use as a blanket, but i put it underneath, then used my liner and a goose down over me. i started it 45 minutes before i went to bed. neither of us noticed any real draw on the batteries either.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
on my last camping trip, it was below 0. i've done fine before with a bunch of the hand warmers prewarming my sleeping bag and liner, but this trip, my buddy got both of us the "car cozy 2" electric blanket....it was freakin' awesome! comes with a 7' cord, plugs into the cig lighter. not really big enough to use as a blanket, but i put it underneath, then used my liner and a goose down over me. i started it 45 minutes before i went to bed. neither of us noticed any real draw on the batteries either.

We have one of those somewhere. It works ok. We ended up just taking a twin size electric blanket and plugging it into the inverter with the vehicle running for @ 20 minutes. It was only in the 40s but we had our 4 yo with us.

spikemd

Explorer
Added some USB LED lights to the inside and underneath my new 2 meter RTT. Instead of hard wiring them in, like my last RTT, I opted to power them with the many small USB power packs for charging phones, etc. They are cheap and easy to carry and one Goal Zero flip 20 powered the lights for around 8 hrs. One strip is on middle pole and plenty bright inside, the other goes underneath the overhang to light the ladder area at night. I found the side pole makes the lights easier on the eyes that above. I typically put the kids down and then finish out the night with adults at the fire. I have a USB splitter that powers both strips. I bought them on amazon as 'behind TV' lights and cut them to size.

2017-01-09 17.03.23.jpg

2017-01-09 23.11.18.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Added some USB LED lights to the inside and underneath my new 2 meter RTT. Instead of hard wiring them in, like my last RTT, I opted to power them with the many small USB power packs for charging phones, etc. They are cheap and easy to carry and one Goal Zero flip 20 powered the lights for around 8 hrs. One strip is on middle pole and plenty bright inside, the other goes underneath the overhang to light the ladder area at night. I found the side pole makes the lights easier on the eyes that above. I typically put the kids down and then finish out the night with adults at the fire. I have a USB splitter that powers both strips. I bought them on amazon as 'behind TV' lights and cut them to size.

View attachment 381954

View attachment 381955

I did something similar. I bought a set of '4 LED lights with 2x AA battery power and a switch. Worked great. If I only could remember where I put them after the season I used them though . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles