The 255/85R16 Tire Official List

lugueto

Adventurer
I apologize for reviving a somewhat old thread.

Where can I buy a set of 255/86/16 Cooper ST Maxx's online??

Fargo

Adventurer
Treaddepot.com has them, but I don't know if they do overseas shipping. I've never used them, so I can't say anything about their service. In the USA Cooper tires are everywhere. Just about every town has a cooper tire dealer. Not sure how it is in your part of the world. Is Cooper hard to find or you just looking for the best price.

lugueto

Adventurer
Well, pretty much any tire is hard to find right now, at least not for a decent price.

I don't need international shipping, I just need to ship them to Miami, Fl in order to get them on a boat down here. I just need to find a site that lists them in that size.

It seems that site is the ticket, thank you so much!

1stDeuce

Explorer
All I can share is a tease, but I've seen, photographed, and driven on the Mastercraft CXT tires in 255/80R17.
James
View attachment 371246
Good to see you at SEMA, James!
And an alternative to the same size STMaxx's I had been considering for my truck... I'll watch your site for more details!!

Where can I buy a set of 255/86/16 Cooper ST Maxx's online??

I pit treaddepot.com against discounttiredirect.com and tirecrawler.com. They all carry that size normally. Treaddepot runs specials occasionally that the others don't seem to, but usually in the summer and fall...

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Thanks for the update on the ******** Cepek Extreme Country. What pressures are you running on pavement and on dirt? I just sliced a sidewall of my Duratrac (245/75-16 C), so I need to make a tire decision right away. I want skinny 33" tires, but I'm not looking forward to the switch to E range.
I bought the DC Extreme Country tires in this size. I haven't really noticed them being significantly stiffer or harsher than the "C" Duratracs that preceded them. A lot more tread noise for sure, and a big change in torque to the road with the larger diameter. So far I've been using similar pressures to what I used on the Duratracs: 35psi on the road, 22-25 psi on dirt roads (based on wear measurements, I might need to decrease my road pressure.) I haven't been on anything that required lower pressures, although I have been on several difficult roads that lower pressure would've helped quite a bit. Guess I was too lazy to let out more air.

I'm not impressed with the wear, which was ~0.1" in 4200 miles. Those were either highway miles, or dirt miles, since I only use the 4runner on trips.

Maybe the Cooper ST Maxx is in my future, unless there are Duratrac or General Grabber X3 offered in this size next time around. The Duratracs were awesome tires for my needs, just too small.

Last edited:

Sea.Jay

Observer
Ran 255/85 and 235/85 in ST MAXX, KM2, and bighorn. Ran 235/85 and 265/75 in KO2.

The original KO in a 33x10.5r15 is my all time favorite tire. Since I cannot get a comparable tire in similar dimensions for a 16" rim I'm left with what's been listed in this thread.

My personal opinion regarding both 235 and 255 sizes:

1st : KM2. Superb road and off road performance. Getting roughly 40k-50k out of a set. Balance well And Good weight. Louder than ST MAXX, quieter than Bighorns.

2nd: ST MAXX. Quietest, but still noisy. Lightest. Stiffest sidewall. 45 - 55k miles. Both sets I've had balanced well but had interesting road handling. Tendency to wander and drift. Great in the dirt albeit the load range E. Even with 10 psi on a tacoma I could barely get them to flex.

3rd: Bighorn. Didn't last but 30k miles. Noisy. Balanced well and drove on the road well. Offroad, they were wonderful, almost as good as a KM2.

If money was the deciding factor, ST MAXX every time. I can most often get them for a little over half of what I can get a KM2 for. Otherwise, KM2 hands down.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Thanks for the link, article looks good and I look forward to the next installment. It is nice to have additional choices in this tire size.

kayadog

Adventurer
I will definitely be following this! So far I've noticed the price on these is high and the availability in 255/85r16 is low (price is higher than the Mastercraft MXT and on par with the ST MAXX-- Mastercraft tires are normally value priced) but hopefully that will change as production increases. This is the perfect tire for my stock JK.

Last edited:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Ran 255/85 and 235/85 in ST MAXX, KM2, and bighorn. Ran 235/85 and 265/75 in KO2.

The original KO in a 33x10.5r15 is my all time favorite tire. Since I cannot get a comparable tire in similar dimensions for a 16" rim I'm left with what's been listed in this thread.

My personal opinion regarding both 235 and 255 sizes:

1st : KM2. Superb road and off road performance. Getting roughly 40k-50k out of a set. Balance well And Good weight. Louder than ST MAXX, quieter than Bighorns.

2nd: ST MAXX. Quietest, but still noisy. Lightest. Stiffest sidewall. 45 - 55k miles. Both sets I've had balanced well but had interesting road handling. Tendency to wander and drift. Great in the dirt albeit the load range E. Even with 10 psi on a tacoma I could barely get them to flex.

3rd: Bighorn. Didn't last but 30k miles. Noisy. Balanced well and drove on the road well. Offroad, they were wonderful, almost as good as a KM2.

If money was the deciding factor, ST MAXX every time. I can most often get them for a little over half of what I can get a KM2 for. Otherwise, KM2 hands down.
I really appreciate your feedback. However, it would be a lot more useful if we know what type of terrain you travel. It is cool that your location is listed as "my truck", but that gives us zero geographical insight into your tire experience. Sierra mud is a lot different than Georgia mud, which is worlds apart from Arizona terrain. And then there is Alaska, Northeast, Northwest, and that is just considering the differences in the USA.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I'm joining the 255/85 club! I purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer ST's in 255/85R16 (just the ST, not the ST MAXX). They should be arriving and getting installed sometime next week. Once they are mounted I will post pictures and share my thoughts. They are going on my 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport with a 2" ARB OME lift and factory 4.90 gears.

Michelin 8.25R16 XZL (235/100R16), 33.9" tall, 9.1" wide
I know Vrakking has some good ones.

Charlie

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Michelin 8.25R16 XZL (235/100R16), 33.9" tall, 9.1" wide
I know Vrakking has some good ones.

Charlie

Surely a cool size, and quite narrow.  :)

Though I'd guess that for many, the superior tread choice availability of the admittedly much wider 285/75R17 might be more practical if they have the clearance to fit them. The LT285/75R17 is a niche tire as well, but they can be readily sourced. I like them enough that I might run a set up to the Canadian Arctic next month.❄️❄️

Wish I could buy 285/85R17 or 285/80R18 tires ;)

James

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
attachment.php

They are on and I love this setup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles