Raptor Lining

luthj

Engineer In Residence
For diy bedliner coatings you might check out monstaliner. Great product, and very enthusiast friendly.

94idi

I've used it, and it was great to work with. Bought the kit with four cans of it, the hardener, and the spray gun. Set the regulator based on the spray pattern you're looking for, and go to town. It was roughly 1,000 times easier than paint :)

The texture is very nice, and so far it seems to have adhered to primered metal very very well. I also sprayed it on my plastic rear bumper (which had been primered with a plastic primer) and it has chipped off in a couple areas, from impacts. The jury is out on whether that will hold up.

I think I have some pictures in my thread if you want to see the end product.

All in all - I would recommend it.

wjeeper

I have sprayed Raptor on a few little projects now. Its not even close to the thickness of LineX, not even in the same ball park.

You can shoot it with a rough texture or make it fairly smooth. Just depends on how you shoot it! If you want it heavily textured shoot it strait out of a schutz gun with just the hardener added. It gets thicker as the hardener re-acts and sprays more textured. If you want it pretty smooth you can thin it up to like 15-20% and shoot it with a HVLP primer gun. Varying the pressure can really influence the texture. I prefer to shoot it thinned with a HVLP gun first to get full color coverage and then go back and hit it with a schutz (mixture thinned a bit) to build texture once the color coat has flashed off for 45-60 minutes. Uses less liner this way.

Super forgiving stuff! Its way easier to shoot than paint. The texture covers a lot of little body inperfections and installer error. Like all DIY bedliners final results are all a direct result of all the time and attention to detail put into the prep work.

In fact I will be shooting my whole van in it in the future once I get all the fab work done.

dcguillory

Adventurer
Big ups for Monstaliner DIY kit. I used the roll on method with the provided equipment and am very pleased with thickness and texture. Not on my van, though, on my Landcruiser

flightcancled

Explorer
A friend just did his entire truck in Monstaliner. It took 8 gallons of tintable for the truck body plus another 2 of the black for the bed. It looks great from a distance, but up close you can tell that it is crazy thick and some of the prep and taping work which wasn't perfect really stands out.

Any idea how much Raptor it takes to do a van?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
A friend just did his entire truck in Monstaliner. It took 8 gallons of tintable for the truck body plus another 2 of the black for the bed. It looks great from a distance, but up close you can tell that it is crazy thick and some of the prep and taping work which wasn't perfect really stands out.

Any idea how much Raptor it takes to do a van?

Fourteen liters to do my ambo. Eleven primary and 3 black, but I did not do the roof of the module.

opt overland

Observer
I think the raptor product is the best DIY option on the market. I've used several others and didn't care for results. You can achieve different textures by the regulated PSI used. The DIY products are cold sprayed and will never return the texture of a heated product such as Line-X that dries within seconds of being sprayed so gravity does not have a chance to work and start to sag the liner. If the DIY product is sprayed too thick it will look like an ice cream cone on a sunny day, you'll end up with a goopy dripping mess that looks like my 4 year old sprayed it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I sprayed my 21ft high roof van with monstaliner. Two medium and one light coat overall. I used 6 gallons total. I did not do the center of the roof, as it isn't visible.

Jb1rd

Explorer
6 GALLONS wow, that seems like a lot but I know next to nothing about painting cars and less about bedliners
I sprayed my 21ft high roof van with monstaliner. Two medium and one light coat overall. I used 6 gallons total. I did not do the center of the roof, as it isn't visible.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
6 GALLONS wow, that seems like a lot but I know next to nothing about painting cars and less about bedliners

The liner is THICK. 40mils or more when cured. That's part of why its so durable.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Has anyone here used this DIY kit? Is it super rough like LineX bed liner or is it a bit smoother? I really like the LineX Body Armour but don't see any place for a DIY kit and to have it sprayed prof is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

I used a raptor kit on my previous pickup truck. Would not do it again I wasn't happy with the final product and ended up grinding it back off. It ended up rough and held a lot of dirt additionally the white did not match the white of my truck and it irritated me.
Were I to DIY again I would try monstaliner.
However I think I am going to bite the bullet and pay a professional this time around on my van after the mess I had with my previous DIY attempt and I like the idea of a warranty should there be issues.

philos

Explorer
I did the interior of my van with "extreem liner" two years ago, still doing great. It's a two-part system, you can spray it thick or thin. Super forgiving. Super pricing, better than everywhere else. Lots of colors available, and the woman who took my order was really cool.
I used around a gallon to do floors, ceiling, and halfway up the side walls before I installed butyl/ensolite/reflectix/neoprene for sound deadener/insulation. I did NOT use the extra shredded rubber she sent with the kit and the texture is still plenty rough.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.

EDIT:
company is "xtreme liner"
Awkward website, but nice folks if you call.
http://www.xtremeliners.com/great_in_bed.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles