Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

scooter421

Adventurer
Oz, I don't get out your way often anymore but if you give me a heads up I'd be happy to give you a hand over a weekend or two. One of my buddies on that side of town is an electrician and a good fabricator as well. He might be interested in offering a bit of support as well. I would imagine you'll be working pretty hard on the axle swap through the upcoming winter considering it's finally cooling down.

Scooter

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scooter I will keep that in mind. While the Mad Max side of my brain wants to tear into getting this 4WD my rational side is telling me it's camping season in AZ and to leave it alone and just enjoy it like it is for now. Not sure which one is going to win out

But I think I found the answer to our longer term secondary transport needs. The TW200 on the back is great for one person to grab groceries etc but not built for 2. Then Travis from @Van22 dropped in on his way south with a Motoped. 50cc with pedals and only 100lbs. Electric start and all. I could have 2 of these for the weight of the TW200 and not need the bike lift on the back. Plus being a moped I do not need to do insurance and temporary import permits when crossing borders. The biggest downside is the price.

https://motoped.com

e935486e05dbdc413d88a081b88c695f.png

https://vimeo.com/188735717

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you don't mind pedaling there are some e-bikes out there with decent range for a days use, and about half the cost of those motopeds. Truth be told though, I'm still kind of jonesing for the zombie apocalypse version. :)

scooter421

Adventurer
That looks nice and versatile, very cool. I know what you mean when it comes to camping season. I am trying to schedule another trip for November. Between messing around with the things I want to get done, what I NEED to get done, leaving it alone and having fun is surprisingly difficult! If the Mad Max side of you wins and you decide to get into it, I'd be willing to offer that 3rd hand we're always looking for.

Scooter...

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like the schedule is sort of in place. A week in Baja then a weekend at Death Valley before any major work is started. Still plenty of little projects to eat up all my spare time.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok no photos yet. But a treasure hunt in Florida has been fruitful. Looks like a crew cab is in my future.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
And here it is. 2007 Freightliner M2. 6 speed with air brakes and brand new tires (still have the tits on the front ones). No pass through except for the little window. Extra AC in the cab as well as a 110v one on the roof.

fd233ff09c1f6f875f1680d0932914f4.jpg

060831e48f075badc262f9b52b311585.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
One of the other advantages is that it has a different style of rear air ride. Will make fitting the new axle and lifting it a lot easier than last time.

Like this cab chassis that was sitting beside it.

8725c6f5a36e229e2617a4256818678a.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
So did you buy it, and does that mean you're getting rid of the one you have?

Probably but not before I have this one to a stage that we can use it. Got burnt last time selling one before the other was ready and missed a few good travel opportunities.

Now the bonus for you is that I think it has the stretcher mount you are chasing and it is in Florida. Maybe we can get together on my way north west on about the 17th - 20th. Not sure yet depends on when I can break free from work.

4287a4337fef609ea8cfbc439b355701.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
When I was looking for medium ambulances, I thought about a "crew cab" unit that was at GEV - until I measured it. The Medic Master I wound up with is 25 ft long, and my garage interior is 28 ft deep.

Two questions:

Who made the ambulance module? I can't tell from the photos, but it looks a bit like Medic Master. BUT - the spotlight hints that it might be a Braun -

Does it have a Mercedes engine? 2007 kinda points that way to me.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Probably but not before I have this one to a stage that we can use it. Got burnt last time selling one before the other was ready and missed a few good travel opportunities.

Now the bonus for you is that I think it has the stretcher mount you are chasing and it is in Florida. Maybe we can get together on my way north west on about the 17th - 20th. Not sure yet depends on when I can break free from work.

Cool, does it have the 'antlers' mounted on the floor also?

If you are headed home on I-10, you will only be about 8 miles north of me, so yes I can definitely meet you along there somewhere. Let me know and I'll shoot you my cell # so we can hook up.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It is a Medic Master and it is a Mercedes. Uncharted territory for me. I definitely would of preferred a Cummings or even a Cat. But the rest of the rig (except no pass through) was a good fit for us.

One other issue is that all the controls are digital and software driven. Makes it a bit harder to repurpose the circuits (imagine sticky labels on the touch screen ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior