Aluminess bumper lighting options

lcavalletti

Observer
I just installed my aluminess bumper and was looking for led spot lights, fog lights ect . I started lookijng on amazon and found there are a ton off knock off chinese made led light bars and spot lights. Im not a fan of cheap chinese products. But they seem well made, and they are super bright.

I ended buying them up, they are LED round spot lights off amazon for 80.00. They are made by a company called Nilight. 8k lumens. They seem well built with nice powder coated waterproof housings . They advertise you can bang the light with a hammer and it wont turn off. Question to all is ,,,Why spend a ton of money on rigid and baja lights if you can get good led light bars and spot lights so cheap theses days. These lights seem well built and are incredibly bright. Just curious if anyone has used the led light bars and such off amazon that are a quarter the price.

I bought the rear back up lights too and they were 18.99. And they blow away the old Hella picadors that were in there

I used the regular hella 500 fog lights on the front as you cant find led with diffused lense very easily

Total for all my lights i spent about 150. That wouldnt even buy me one set of rigid spot lights.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Some of the cheaper ones are fine. A lot of them aren't sealed as well and get moisture in them etc. BUT you're right, they're cheap, and you could buy spares and still be out less money.

I chose rigid lights in the front bumper because I have much more faith in them being well sealed and warranted, and more importantly because rigid finally has sae/dot approved fog lights that I can run on the road, without being a jerk and blinding everyone. I won't be buying their $400 reverse lights though.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Lighting

Do your self a big favor and take a trip up to BAJA DESIGNS in San Marcos. They have a huge selection of all types of lights they build. I wasn't sure of the pattern I needed and they took several models into a dark room and lit them up so I could select the one that was right for me. Thats customer service!!

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Question to all is ,,,Why spend a ton of money on rigid and baja lights if you can get good led light bars and spot lights so cheap theses days. These lights seem well built and are incredibly bright. Just curious if anyone has used the led light bars and such off amazon that are a quarter the price.

The main reason for going with a more expensive light like Baja Designs or other is the quality. I am running all BD products and have experience with Ebay(LED), Vision X(HIDs), and Hella(Halogen). The best performance has been Baja Designs. The Price is definitely steep but here is why I decided to go with them with my original purchase in Early 2014.

Why I went with BD (In no particular order of importance)
- Local (15-20 minutes from home) Allowed me to visit their showroom, tour their facility, and get a first hand look on how everything is made.
- uService Technology (Interchangeable Lenses and Optics) I myself have always experimented with different bumpers and light packages/locations. This means different lights be switched around in different locations. Their lights allow me to change out the pattern in a quick minute or two. Quick change for my Amber Spot Squadron Sport (Dust Light) to a White Driving pattern for forward facing light. No need to sell on CL because you don't have the correct pattern.
- Customer Service. Over the course of 3-4 months I had to have made 10 trips into BD to bug Brennan. He was always helpful with any questions I had and always willing to talk shop for a bit. If it was a $15 lens kit or a $230 light pair I always felt like their top customer.

Just a few reasons why I went with Baja Designs in the first place and continue to go back. Yes you could buy 10 No-Name lights on Ebay or Amazon and be same price as BD Light Bar But you won't get anywhere near the performance. You can have more light with BD and take up a lot less real estate on the rig.

lcavalletti

Observer
roger that, but lumens and output is the same with LED> my spots are 8000Lumens and the rear about half that . If these light perform well for the next 5-10 years I think im all good. I spent a total of $125 on both my front spots and my rear backup/work lights. If they dont last then I stand corrected. But they are powder coated aluminium and they are bright as anything. So Im rolling the dice. If they fall apart then I know my answer, but for now Ill take what I have for the money and roll with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles