Basic rigs?

Rogers1911

Hi everybody. I am a long time lurker, but this is the first time I will have posted. I am a college student who just got a job, so I am hopefully going to get a 4x4 sometime next summer. Since I will be working with very little money I just want to build a basic rig, probably a Ford Ranger, so I would be curious to know what you all think would be necessary on a basic rig. Also pictures of your own basics rigs and where you have taken them would be appreciated. If someone knows of a better place for this thread, please move it. Thanks.

Rogers1911

XJLI

Adventurer
A basic rig to get you out and go camping? Literally any vehicle with good tires, decent ground clearance, and four wheel drive. Don't get hung up on all the **** people "need" on their rigs. People have been driving Jeeps and 4x4 pickups on 26" bias ply tires places people with $65,000 rigs wouldn't dream of since the 1960s.

Stryder106

Explorer
"Basic" is relative to what you want to do. Are you traveling on graded dirt roads or wanting to go on more difficult trails? Will you be with others or by yourself? Since we tend to be by ourselves, my approach has been to think of what situations I can get myself into and then consider what I need in or on my rig to get me out of it. Examples: Winch, recovery boards. BUT, we are in sand a lot and by ourselves, nothing to winch to - so when we are alone on those types of trips I also carry a sand anchor. I've probably bought more than I need, so my advice to you would be: Good tires and suspension. Spend some money and time on preventive maintenance to mitigate things breaking. Make sure you have the ability to communicate in remote environment. Stick to what you know your rig can handle, then slowly start building out a plan for what you ultimately want to do.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
:iagree: A vehicle in decent shape with good tires will get you a long way, just depends on what you want the vehicle to do.
Long before I ever heard of ExPo I drove all over the 4 corners states in a 2wd Ranger with a topper. My only "modifications" were a limited slip differential and slightly oversized AT tires. As long as I stayed within the limitations of a 2wd rig I was fine. My "camping gear" consisted of a coleman single burner camp stove, a cheap cooler, and a decent sleeping bag (my truck had a shell and a padded carpet kit in the back so I could sleep very comfortably without the neccessity of a tent.)
I was a student then, too, and much as I would have loved having a 4x4, for what I needed at the time my 4x2 Ranger was perfectly adequate.
Camped near Cedar City, UT, May of 2002:
2002 Travel_0012_zpsm3g4hyja.jpg

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
A basic rig to get you out and go camping? Literally any vehicle with good tires, decent ground clearance, and four wheel drive. Don't get hung up on all the **** people "need" on their rigs. People have been driving Jeeps and 4x4 pickups on 26" bias ply tires places people with $65,000 rigs wouldn't dream of since the 1960s.

^^^ well put.

I had a pretty much stock 88 sr5 v6 xtra cab Toyota and camped out of for 18 years. no lift, no accessories, no nothing but decent tires. rarely even put it in 4wd other than winter driving. was a great camp rig till our stash of camping crap got to big, lol.

if you don't just need a rig for camping, you might list out what you want a basic rig for and what you need it to do for you. kinda hard to recommend vehicles when we don't know what you intend to use it for.

remember, 90% driver, 5% tires, 5% vehicle. what the rig will do and where it will go will depend more on your skills as a driver than the actual vehicle its self.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Basic recovery gear (straps) and good tires should cover the gist of it. I assume it's 4 wheel drive. Pretty darn surprising what "basic" 4x4 rigs can do with only the essentials. Experience is also something that helps

Rogers1911

Thanks for the replies everybody. I will elaborate on what I need a basic rig for. It's primary purpose will be for exploring graded dirt roads in SoCal. However I do have three friends with Jeeps and I would like to be able to go with them on some trails up to about 2.5 by this rating system. http://www.jeeptheusa.com/jeep-trail-difficulty-ratings.html. I don't expect to be able to keep up if they start doing anything past that. I probably will never be off of 2.0 trails by myself. Thanks.

Rogers1911

PTB

Observer
I've only been enjoying this hobby for a few years.

However, reading the ratings description you linked I would say the most important aspect, kit wise, is tires. Get a decent set of AT's, paying attention to load ratings. Always carry a matching spare (or two depending on the trail), and equiptment to change on the trail. I would also add a basic compressor to air up and down; along with a tire repair kit (in case the damage is repairable).

Regarding specific vehicles, it's a very personal choice.

Personally I like the size/shape of the Ranger's but have never driven/ridden in/ or been on the trail with a 4x4 version. If you are mostly going to be the only person in your vehicle, I'd say stick with the smaller or mid size vehicles, such as the Ranger. The small footprint will help you make tougher trails easier by allowing you to pick good lines.

Last bit of advice (on an unsolicited topic) is to check the web for vintage 4x4 instructional videos. You can find ones that give techniques and tips for driving with basic mechanical 4x4 systems.

PTB

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
cool rating system. ive taken my awd civic wagon on roads similar to the 2.0 rating. yes i bottomed out, but made it through every obstacle we approached and never had to break out a shovel. of course a few of the obstacles required a few tries, lol. again, the vehicle isnt near as important as the driver.

that said, only time we got in a spot with that 88 toyota was challenges from people on what mudholes we could or couldnt get through. i was thoroughly impressed with that little truck. hence why i held onto it for 18 years. i would think a single cab mini truck of any badge will hang with your friends, again like stated, that will be a personal preference. only issue i had with that toyota was ongoing starter issues. other than needing to park on hills for bumpstarts it was basic maintenance only. id go 22re though, not the v6 if you go the old yota route.

also, your only as good as the people you wheel with. i have very limited experience offroading, but letting the experienced people go first and following their lead and youll be very surprised at where you can get a 4x4 mini truck. watch approach and departure angles and apply accordingly when alone and i guarantee youll surprise yourself. i had no issues getting anywhere in our toyota, but our van intimidates me in places. when i have backup plans or friends to assist in case of trouble, ive been amazed where this huge 9k lb lead sled has taken us.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Basic rig? How bout a 90+ day road trip in a FWD Escape. He camped nearly all of it. Probably a bigger/better trip than most of us on this forum:
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30661

Built a simple sleeping platform with a drawer and hit the road.

Spend your money on gas and maintenance and extra space at an image hosting website. Get out there and experience.

See the links in my signature for my builds.

Last edited:

RedF

Adventurer
Maintenance up to date on your vehicle. Decent tires, basic recovery gear and a first aid kit. Some water and a cooler with some food. A stove to cook on and heat water. Some means of sleeping. Tell somebody where you're going and when you'll be back. Go have fun. You'll survive, and you'll figure out what else you need/want. Don't get hung up on the mind numbing builds you see here (and everywhere), that stuff is mostly a fashion statement.

Traveling with another vehicle is a good idea.

CYi5

Explorer
This is the kind of thread that makes it too easy to poke fun at all the rigs on here that were dragged through a collection of Overland Journals. :rolleyes: As everyone else said, a good set of tires, some block ice, and a bit common sense will get you into, as well as out of, all kinds of awesome places many wouldn't consider venturing.

Certainly not a purist by any means, I do enjoy a bit of farkle (i.e. fridge), but i'm sure some soggy food wrappers won't destroy a trip.

rayra

Expedition Leader
OP, at your age I and my friends were derbing all over the deserts of SoCal in 2wd mini trucks which we'd put 3-4" body lifts on using plumbing pipe segments and hardware store bolts. We learned all about speed vs momentum, and traction and weight distribution, the hard way. We got stuck a lot but we also managed to go a lot of places neophyte in 4wd vehicles failed. So I say to you don't worry about 'basic' and find some friends and at least one other vehicle and get out there and get stuck. Enjoy yourself. You'll be able to go far more places than you'd believe today.

Find a vehicle with 4wd, find a vehicle with potential for future mods, but don't worry about those mods today. Instead spend the limited money on GOING PLACES. Gas, beer and hot dogs, and a good shovel and rope / strap are all you need. eta I learned to cook a mean cheap steak in a shovel back then, too. And a bulk pack of hot dogs for dinner were 'breakfast sausages' in the morning.

Between this bunch we had 2 Chevy Luvs, a Datsun p/u, A Dodge D50, a Baja Bug, a couple Toyota SR5s and a Jeep. The Jeep was the only one with 4wd. And a ton of dirt bikes and ATCs. The whole bunch weren't worth the purchase price of ONE of these show queens you see in some of these pages. We roamed far and wide on the same dirt you'll be heading into and we had SO much fun. I'm the idiot with his hat on sideways. This pic was taken on the back side of Little Rock Dam, over 30yrs ago. Half the places we used to go are closed now, or built over.

ORRRT%20lg_zpscovfommj.jpg

Beyond the vehicle basics, pay more attention to the mechanical condition of the vehicle, than the cosmetics. And try to find something with tires that are good enough as is. You don't want to be spending a grand on tires and wheels right off the bat.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Thanks for the replies everybody. I will elaborate on what I need a basic rig for. It's primary purpose will be for exploring graded dirt roads in SoCal. However I do have three friends with Jeeps and I would like to be able to go with them on some trails up to about 2.5 by this rating system. http://www.jeeptheusa.com/jeep-trail-difficulty-ratings.html. I don't expect to be able to keep up if they start doing anything past that. I probably will never be off of 2.0 trails by myself. Thanks.

Rogers1911

You should have no trouble with trails as high as 3.0 on that list with a stock '93-'97 Ranger with the 31" tires and having the limited-slip in the back. After some mods on mine (lift, tires, lockers) I was on ones as high as 4.0 before I got my Bronco II.

Like others have said, the vehicle is only a small part of being able to get somewhere, but it is good to start with something that can easily grow with you. A Ranger makes a great choice since they seem to be a lot less expensive to start with, have nice interiors, and are well-supported by the aftermarket, though others swear by Jeeps and some of the early Toyotas, which certainly are great choices also.

My '94 the day I brought it home from the dealer:
2329500017_large.jpg

Yeah, nothing special to see there, but that truck did John Bull and Holcomb Creek trails in Big Bear just as you see it. Granted both were much milder trails back then, but still.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Be mechanically sound. That right there, is the most important bit. It doesn't matter how many LED lights you have when you are on the side of the road with a driveshaft in 5 pieces.

Rangers are good trucks. I hate fords, but those are good. Also Ford Explorers. I have a number of friends who wheel the 2nd gen trucks HARD. And they hold up well. The V6 is plenty and the trucks typically work very well. Extremely reliable. The early independent suspension trucks are also good, just get the traction control.

Beyond that, a good set of tires. Depending on your terrain, I'd say a AT tire would be a good overall compromise. Or go more street tire if you are out west and doing mainly on-road driving.

Lastly, just get your back packing gear, load up, and go.

But yeah, you don't need a bunch of crap on your truck. Run light and run reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles