Solid Gas Generators 7000 Watts and Higher Besides Honda?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So...no gas to the house now? All electric house?

Hillbilly suggested Champion. I've owned one of their generators and they are good products by a good company for a good price. I would buy from them again.

Take a look at this one. With some care to manage your loads (don't run stove and dryer at the same time, etc.), it's probably big enough for what you need to do. I doubt you have anything in your shop that draws more than 30a.

Make sure you read the reviews, on that unit. You will learn a lot.

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/generators/for-home/76533-3800w4750w-generator/

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And there was no in-depth conversation about transfer switches and bus bars.

Just a couple of electricians tossing around some ideas.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
-Im thinking I obviously need a large generator for the house and that should come first, but then I should get a much smaller genny for when I go camping.

On that point you may want to consider how you can cut down your house power draw to get it within the limits of a small portable unit. It's a common Emergency Preparedness folly to have emergency backups that duplicate a normal luxurious lifestyle. If it's an emergency outage switch your lifestyle to emergency mode. Growing up when the power went out at my house we'd just light a handful of candles, read books, and keep the fridge and freezer closed hoping the power would return before the ice cream melted. It wasn't that long ago everybody lived without electricity. Get back in that mentality.

If the power outages only last hours or a day or two just figure out what you must have powered and do without the rest until the power is restored. Power your fridge/freezer. Cook on your Coleman. Put off the laundry until the power is back. Wrap up in a an extra blanket or two. No TV/DVD/Soundsystem. And stick to only one room light on at a time.

If you're expecting a multi-month life without power you should be planning bigger anyway. Large non-portable power, onsite diesel tank storage, solar, batteries, the whole off-gird works.

Last edited:

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Not to hijack the thread, but can you daisy-chain different generator output sizes? For example, can you hook up a Honda EU1000IS and a EU2000IS together to get ~3000W?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Not to hijack the thread, but can you daisy-chain different generator output sizes? For example, can you hook up a Honda EU1000IS and a EU2000IS together to get ~3000W?

Unlikely. You have to use their sync kit and sync cable, you don't just plug them together.

So if they don't make a kit for that...

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Unlikely. You have to use their sync kit and sync cable, you don't just plug them together.

So if they don't make a kit for that...

Thanks...did some more searching and the Honda site implies you can only string like models together...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles