230GE in UT...any advice?

Copple

For those new to g-wagons and looking for an earlier model - where's the best place to look? Like the others replying to this thread I'm more interested in an earlier model, more for its simplicity for me at least. Having looked at all of the various forums out there I'm still not sure what the cost of a transplanted engine runs, nor what a decent 280ge should cost. I'm not opposed to having a reputable shop do the major work to get things running either.

uzj100

Adventurer
I plan to source a Military 250 GD from overseas. Best to find one in a country that did not participate in any middle east conflicts and the trucks were just used in training exercises.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Get a 1991 250 GD Wolf from these guys. About 17k USD. SHipping is about 1 to 2 k. 25 years old so no issues importing. 3 swb trucks fit in a container.

I would buy it as is and change the paint if you want. I plan to get one and keep the camo paint.

http://exmod-uk.com/equip.php?ID=707#http://army-uk.com/stock/fotobig/990_DSC05769.JPG

what you want is an LL wolf. its got the lift points for your helicopter.

unless you see something that really lifts your skirt, i'd go onto clubgwagon.com, the very best G site, and contact offroad-world. Guido can restore and set up the wolf before you get it shipped.

zimm

Expedition Leader
First off, the name is MASTODON. Mastodon4x4 or mastodon motor company. 2nd yes he is correct. Find a nice 460 or 461 platform to build off of. 230-240-250-280-300 doesn't matter if you're going to do a transplant. 606 is great. Newer rebuilt 603 is great. 617a is great. Hell 5.3 LS is great. 24 valve Cummins GREAT. Just find the build platform that best fits your lifestyle. Engine, paint,interior, and creature comforts are simple.

if you spell first, you spell second.

"A" (blah-d-blah blah) and "2nd off" (Blahhhhhh) and "Lastly" (b-lah)

lets all play the syntax game!

seriously tho, with a divorced t-case, all you need is a visit to the local drive shaft shop and a wrecked 80's 4x2 f-150. youll have something cooler than a jeep, and parts at autozone.

Last edited:

Bullsnake

Adventurer
As long as we are all getting up in arms about spelling your link doesn't go anywhere - it's clubgwagen.com .

Mastodon is a site sponsor and a great bunch of guys - they are currently doing Scott's truck as well as a few for me. There are several great shops out there for G's, and the beauty of them is the interchangeability of them throughout the range. I am certainly not discounting any of the other suggestions for help with your inquiry, I am just suggesting that you do your own research after gathering information here and going with the best fit for what you are wanting to accomplish. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do, and be sure to post up pics!

Apologies in advance for any misspelling...

what you want is an LL wolf. its got the lift points for your helicopter.

unless you see something that really lifts your skirt, i'd go onto clubgwagon.com, the very best G site, and contact offroad-world. Guido can restore and set up the wolf before you get it shipped.

zimm

Expedition Leader
For those new to g-wagons and looking for an earlier model - where's the best place to look? Like the others replying to this thread I'm more interested in an earlier model, more for its simplicity for me at least. Having looked at all of the various forums out there I'm still not sure what the cost of a transplanted engine runs, nor what a decent 280ge should cost. I'm not opposed to having a reputable shop do the major work to get things running either.

transplant an MB engine, or do a drivetrain swap? paying a shop to switch to something like and LSx engine/tranny on any truck pre obd2 usually ends up in the 15 to 20g range.

decent wolf-15-20g
import 3g
modern driveterain 15g
paint to suit... 2-15 g

you can buy a new rubicon by the time youre done, and it will be a better warranted truck. it just wont be cool, and even as high as rubicon resale is, I bet a wolf refurb with nice paint and fresh interior will be worth more on resale than you put into it.

its actually something i looked into before going back to an fj60 last year. Guido had the PERFECT candidate for sale. he had swapped in a turbo engine and granny gear tranny (something you will want to look into finding if you stick MB on the drivetrain). it just needed sand blasted with nice 60's rover color. contact him. maybe he still has it.

also, refer to 4x4abc.com for engine and transmission part numbers/descriptions. Harald is an awesome resource and an all around great guy.

JoeLA

So, in answer to the questions about Jean at G-Mercedes, my experience with him is going very badly. I'm waiting a bit for his response before I post the report here.

JoeLA

I'm going to post an objective review of my experience attempting to buy an older G-class 463 from Jean at G-Mercedes. I called Jean in late September and had a long discussion about the 463's he is in the business of importing from Europe. I liked his approach of finding very clean rust free quality early 463's. He had a silver 1991 diesel 463 with 120km on it that he said he would have back in the US by November. He said it had service records and he was asking $29k. After seeing the pics he sent me. I called him back immediately and wanted to put a refundable deposit on it. He said he only worked with NON-refundable deposits. I had never bought a car long distance with a NON-refundable deposit.
He indicated that normally he does business that way to secure a vehicle he's importing and that he would send me extensive pictures and pics of the service history. I agreed and said let's go over the service records and get the pics asap. He said as soon as he got to Germany he would get me the pics and would consider me first in line for this truck. Then, 4 weeks went by, and 8 emails in which he kept telling me he was working on the pics. To be patient. In the emails, I reminded him that we agreed to a deposit and detailed pictures so we could move forward with the purchase.

Then in the 4th week and I get an email said he told a deposit for the 463 from someone else. Here is the exchange in a few emails:

Jean writes On Nov 4, 2016, at 9:39 AM, info@g-mercedes.com wrote:
>Hello Joe,
>Sorry for the late responce, but we are on the road a lot, and crossing through Europe all the time.
>
>The silver 463 has no A/C, and the car is already pending, to a buyer who bought it unseen.
>
>We would have a white 463 on which you could add the A/C or we have a very rare 350GD ! with original A/C. But the car will be more >expensive then the white one.
>Thanks,
>Jean
>Thanks and regards,
>G-Mercedes, L.L.C.
>Jean Saris
>info@g-mercedes.com
>www.g-mercedes.com

I responded:
>Van: Joe ***** [mailto:******@mac.com]
>Verzonden: vrijdag 4 november 2016 18:02
>Aan: info@g-mercedes.com
>Onderwerp: Re: Silver GD300 TALK ON PHONE
>Jean,
>I'm very confused. You and I talked several times about the silver one. You said you would send me more pics and details about the >service history and we could arrange a deposit. Now it is sold? You recall, we talked on the phone and I asked what your process is and the next steps?

Jean Writes On Nov 5, 2016, at 5:08 AM, info@g-mercedes.com wrote:
>Hello Joe,
>To explain the sale of the silver one: I know you were waiting on more details, but the gentleman who bought the vehicle received the same info I sent to >you, and then he decided to buy the vehicle, and he did that before we had a chance to send you more info.
>I will give you a call in the morning.
>Thanks,
>Jean

We talked on the phone and his explanation was weak. He said he had a deal in the works for another similar 463. After a few conversations that turned out to be not as good a truck (145k MILES) for $32,500.

At this point I am giving up on Jean and G-Mercedes. You be the judge. I felt it was a very unprofessional experience. He assured me on the phone I was the first one in line for this vehicle.

McBride

Adventurer
Bummer but I'm happy to hear it wasn't any worse than that. You didn't get a grossly misrepresented vehicle and you aren't out any cash. Just hopes and dreams shattered.

I have to say that buying a vehicle in that price range based on some pics, documents provided someone you don't really know and that you haven't driven is inherently risky. I speak from experience having bought 3 G's this way. Two were grossly misrepresented ($$$$$$) and the third, purchased from a person well known across all the G forums was perfectly represented and correctly priced.

I'd say keep looking for something on our continent, be patient and you'll find a good G that won't be full of surprises.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have to say that buying a vehicle in that price range based on some pics, documents provided someone you don't really know and that you haven't driven is inherently risky. I speak from experience having bought 3 G's this way. Two were grossly misrepresented ($$$$$$) and the third, purchased from a person well known across all the G forums was perfectly represented and correctly priced.

Wanting to buy a car and some one else getting a deposit down first is not due to a bad seller.
McBride's experience with the MASTADON crew is more indicative of a bad seller. Maybe he will elaborate:coffee:

Mastodon4x4

Wanting to buy a car and some one else getting a deposit down first is not due to a bad seller.
McBride's experience with the MASTADON crew is more indicative of a bad seller. Maybe he will elaborate:coffee:
McBride has never purchased a car from MASTODON. Although he did purchase his Gcamper from my shop in Birmingham al (RMR4X4) a few years ago but that's not something I built. If anyone decides to purchase from us please feel free to fly in to Denver airport and we will pick you up and let you see our builds and our shops and meet our staff. We Currently have 11 Gwagon builds going in the shop. Thanks - Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles