Earthcruiser GZL

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but here seemed best...

This seems a very interesting pop-up camper :sombrero:

http://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-gzl/

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/16093-EarthCruiser-Overland-Vehicles/page77

Wondering if anyone has one or has seen one in person ?

Showed my wife a short YouTube clip I found of the interior and she thought it very nice :ylsmoke:

We have a travel trailer, however my wife is finally becoming interested in "wild camping" and this seems a good way to have a small package that can get away to where we would like to go and also allow for the "tow" vehicle to be used separately when not off adventurizing ;)

Thinking that down the road a bit, this might be a really good way to go.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
There was one at Expo East - I looked it over - was told base price was $35k

Yes, that is what I have heard as well. It's a bit of a step up in cost from our travel trailer, but finding something that my wife likes so that I can get something small for getting away down two-tracks and such is the hope.

What did you think of it, please ?

At this point, I am becoming tempted to get a Tacoma for this and put a 2.8 Cummins ISF repower kit in it...

So, the next thing to do would be to start investigating about the Tacoma platform and what can be done with that :)

Last edited:

Conagher

I looked at one at 2016 North West Overland Rally. It is a very neat set up and very slick looking. The fit and finish is very good and it seems very well built. Since the top lifts at the the back, there is a lot of head room to stand within the living are of the camper. That said, the living area is pretty tight. The bed needs to be set up and taken down and that can be a bit of a pain, but easy to get over. There is a shower in the back passenger side corner of the camper that will get the job done but was pretty tight for me. There was a good level of storage. If you pull a trailer, you could leverage that for storage. The rear door was also an issue for me as it is pretty slim. I think if I designed this I would drop the spare from the rear of the camper and make the rear door larger - but that is just my opinion. The steps into the camper are steep but work very well. Overall it is very cool and should serve as a good "wild camper." For reference, I am 6’2”, 190 with a 34” waist. My recommendation would be to look at this, XP camper V2 and Four Wheel Camper. Please create a build thread regardless, dropping the crate Cummins in a Toyota would be interesting to watch. Good luck.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thank you very kindly for all the great input ! ! ! :)

Although we are the same height, I am now a bit concerned about that door :(

(kinda like the spare being there, but you make a very valid point)

That would reallly be an issue if you found the door that restrictive.

Yes, a small "off-road" trailer is a consideration to help with storage... Thanks.

The XP-V2 is also of interest, but the inside layout seems very narrow vs the layout of the GZL with the movable table in the middle and "couches" on each side, all of which can be made up into a bed for stealth camping, bear country, inclement weather, etc. If the V2 had the layout of the GZL, then I think that would be perfect.

Yup, have always liked the FWC campers very much, but I was the only one in the house, if you know what I mean...

This GZL just seemed to tick all the boxes at the right time.

Thanks for the idea. I have not done a "build thread," before, but have done a diesel engine conversion before :D

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I saw the rig at Expo East and it actually seemed tighter inside than my FWC Eagle, but neither is exactly roomy. I didn't see anything in it that I would consider a compelling upgrade from what I have, but it all depends on what you are looking for in a camper - everyone's wants and needs are different.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The highlights were covered above:
1. Very well built and fit and finish seemed great.
2. The shower didn't make sense to me, I would rather have storage, but the toilet pulls out pan and a inside cook top was in that area too.
3. I didn't like how steep the stairs were or how tight the door was, not a problem for me but my wife would not like the steepness.
4. I would prefer not to take the bed apart to use living space.
5. Was concerned there may not be enough storage for me....
6. Would love to have the hard top like this

I really suggest you look at one in person....

Clutch

<---Pass
interesting!!

I would think doing a full pop up instead of a wedge would give the bunk more head room...

Just did a quick little 3 dayer earlier this week...it was WINDY!!!!, my Wildernest acts like a sail in those conditions...out of fear of it being ripped apart and the noise, had to get up and close it up at 3:30 in the morning the first night, and sleep in the bed of the truck.

I can see the wedge design be a lot better in windy conditions. I was planning on camping at the Craters of The Moon the second night, it was even windier there than it was up in the mountains. I tucked tail and headed back up into mountains, found a spot with a good wind break.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Just did a quick little 3 dayer earlier this week...it was WINDY!!!!, my Wildernest acts like a sail in those conditions...out of fear of it being ripped apart and the noise, had to get up and close it up at 3:30 in the morning the first night, and sleep in the bed of the truck.

I can see the wedge design be a lot better in windy conditions. I was planning on camping at the Craters of The Moon the second night, it was even windier there than it was up in the mountains. I tucked tail and headed back up into mountains, found a spot with a good wind break.
I've only had mine deployed once in a 15+ wind..it seemed to do well but I'm curious to see how my new designed tent handles it...haven't used it in any appreciable winds yet..

But that does make a great point as to design positives!!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

simple

Adventurer
How does the GZL attach to the truck? Also I don't see any jacks and am wondering how you lift it in and out?

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I saw the rig at Expo East and it actually seemed tighter inside than my FWC Eagle, but neither is exactly roomy. I didn't see anything in it that I would consider a compelling upgrade from what I have, but it all depends on what you are looking for in a camper - everyone's wants and needs are different.

Thank you for the feedback :)

That is an excellent reference against the Eagle.

True about the different needs and wants.

Do like the angled top for windy conditions, etc.

That table/bed in the center and the layout with the shower, etc. does seem to work for what we would like...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles