4 Cyl 5 Speed Tacoma: Has anybody regretted getting 265/75R16 tires?

njtacoma

Explorer
I was going to mention looking at Fleet vehicles, as a friend of mine got a Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, single-cab, 8' bed, black non-painted bumpers, manual windows, etc. for a good price (can't remember). But looks like Toyota's offerings will not interest you.

https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/fleet/tacoma.htm

_
Something like this truck, but I think it had black steel wheels and a longer bed.
2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Work-Truck-placement.jpg

I have a friend that owns a dairy, and he bought that truck (in 2014), basic, basic, but 4wd and a bed. He said it was cheaper than a gator, plus he can still drive it down the highway if need be.

Off topic, sorry!

p nut

butter
I have a friend that owns a dairy, and he bought that truck (in 2014), basic, basic, but 4wd and a bed. He said it was cheaper than a gator, plus he can still drive it down the highway if need be.

Off topic, sorry!

Simplicity definitely has its appeal. Sometimes think if I were to do it again today, maybe a '17 F250 XL Crew (hey, I've got a family), manual windows/mirrors, carpet delete, 6.2 V8, 4WD for low $30's....not a bad deal. Throw in the rear locker, because it's only $300 more. Basically, wheels, 2 bench seats, steering wheel and a bed. A truck.

That is a concern too. Buddy of mine was in a head-on in a brand new F-150, he and his wife...while didn't get away unscathed, they did survive... the other driver who was at fault, wasn't so lucky. A lot...I mean a lot of semi's here and 3/4-1 ton pickups on my work commute. Even though I don't care for them...I have flirted with the idea of getting a Subaru...she said no, she rather have me in a bigger truck.

Who knows...fullsize might win the end...get a hell of a lot truck for the money. If you bump the budget up to $28K from $25K...that extra $3K...gets you quite a bit compared to a Tacoma....even staying at the $25K and under budget still gets you a lot of truck compared the Taco. I just need to get over my manual trans fetish. ;)

I know crash test ratings are no guarantees, but sure makes me feel better. At least to know I did what I could. Glad your friend was ok. I'm just south of you, and travel on I-15 quite a bit. No shortage of semi's and full-size trucks around me, either.
_
Autos aren't bad. And I know, after having manual only commuters and a Tacoma for the last 17 years. My left foot does get bored, though!

shabba

Observer
I just went from 245/75/16 to 235/85/16, which are the same diameter as 265/75 (32"). I have a 2008 4 cyl 5 spd access cab with a shell and some gear in the back all the time. Daily driver.

I was expecting some torque loss and I certainly did notice some. But it's still completely driveable and I would do it again, maybe even go to 255/85 (33"). The advantages on the trail are well worth it. If I didn't off road I would stay stock size.

I will say this: I take it easier on the freeway now with the larger tires. I used to travel 70-75 in 5th gear but with the larger tires the acceleration is not as responsive and more likely to require a downshift to pass, so I keep it down around 60-65 and I don't use 5th. This isn't required but I feel like the engine is happier that way and I'm never in a rush so I just chill out with the 18 wheelers, blast some tunes, and let everybody pass me. I'm going to burn through a few more tanks of gas like this, then go back to using 5th, and see if there's any MPG difference.

Eventually I'll get some 4.88 gears and it will be even more of a non issue.
lets see some photos! ive got 285 75 16 on my RC 2.7l and i daily drive it. I drive all over for work and still use 5th on the highway, but for sure have to downshift up some hills. Really wanting to go the 235/255 route for better traction in the snow. i love the look of the skinny tires. Just wondering what it would look like with 3inches of lift

Clutch

<---Pass
Simplicity definitely has its appeal. Sometimes think if I were to do it again today, maybe a '17 F250 XL Crew (hey, I've got a family), manual windows/mirrors, carpet delete, 6.2 V8, 4WD for low $30's....not a bad deal. Throw in the rear locker, because it's only $300 more. Basically, wheels, 2 bench seats, steering wheel and a bed. A truck.

Some great deals on the '16's right now....even though I see guys and gals commuting in their F250's...don't think I could do it...don't want to feed that beast. I could use the Trooper as my commuter...as it gets 20 mpg...it is about as safe as the Tacoma though...kinda defeats the purpose of getting safer vehicle for the commute.

I know crash test ratings are no guarantees, but sure makes me feel better. At least to know I did what I could. Glad your friend was ok. I'm just south of you, and travel on I-15 quite a bit. No shortage of semi's and full-size trucks around me, either.
_
Autos aren't bad. And I know, after having manual only commuters and a Tacoma for the last 17 years. My left foot does get bored, though!

Yeah, no guarantees...but I do wear all of the safety gear when I ride dirt bikes...so it is like that. Thanks for the friend comment, both he and his wife shattered one of their feet each...the alternative could of been much worse.

When I drive the Trooper...my left foot feels lost. Not sure what I was thinking earlier...the new Tacomas do have all the latest safety equipment. My left foot doesn't need to be left out! ;) Only thing you get much less truck for the money compared to a half ton...or even a 3/4 ton. Find RCLB's 3/4 tons around the $27-28K mark....that 400+ ft lbs of torque sure would be nice! Not sure what I would do with it all, but would be nice! :D

So what does one buy a vehicle for...how it is going to be used 90% of the time, or 10% of the time?

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'd be driving a Tundra right now if it came in a manual. Oh well, 4cylinder with a 2k helper spring works. No sagging anymore ha ha ha. I like the simplicity of the 4 vs the 6. Plenty of pep for me with 235's and I can still hit 80 on the highway if I'm not paying attention, just not uphill like my wife's 09 double cab. That thing is quick compared to my truck. Too bad there are no more crank window Tacomas.

-jorge

06 Access Cab Tacoma 4 cylinder 5spd 4x4 with 235's

p nut

butter
...So what does one buy a vehicle for...how it is going to be used 90% of the time, or 10% of the time?

90% of people buy vehicles intended for that 10% usage. :D You can't be TOO practical. Otherwise, we'd all be driving Yaris's. (It comes in a manual!).
-
One reason I was thinking about a 3/4 ton is the payload. Even towing a 5k trailer, the payload gets eaten up pretty quick with all other cargo in the truck. Maybe daily driving would be a chore, but throwing stuff in without counting grams would be nice.

Clutch

<---Pass
90% of people buy vehicles intended for that 10% usage. :D You can't be TOO practical. Otherwise, we'd all be driving Yaris's. (It comes in a manual!).
-
One reason I was thinking about a 3/4 ton is the payload. Even towing a 5k trailer, the payload gets eaten up pretty quick with all other cargo in the truck. Maybe daily driving would be a chore, but throwing stuff in without counting grams would be nice.

Ha! Isn't that the truth...even the Tacoma is a little bit of over-kill as a DD. But as a do-it-all vehicle it isn't too bad...not perfect, but not too bad either.

Think 98% of the time I am buy myself....even on my little trips I take...she is too busy generally. Don't even have a dog any more...so payload isn't too much of an issue. Believe the payload on a SR 4cyl, Tacoma is a touch over 1600 lbs, towing is 3500 lbs. My trailer, bike, 5 gallons of fuel is right around 1200 lbs....then a duffle, chuck box, cooler, MX gear bag...whatever that stuff weighs...can't be more than 500 lbs. Think I am well within its' capabilities.

Those F250's gas get like 10-11 mpg...that would be awful for commuting.

3/4 ton would be nice if I had a FWC....think I'll save that for when I retire. This truck will be mainly as a commuter and is supposed to last me until retirement. Tacoma is still winning the argument in my head...albeit a bit under powered...and that is ok.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Ha! Isn't that the truth...even the Tacoma is a little bit of over-kill as a DD. But as a do-it-all vehicle it isn't too bad...not perfect, but not too bad either.

Think 98% of the time I am buy myself....even on my little trips I take...she is too busy generally. Don't even have a dog any more...so payload isn't too much of an issue. Believe the payload on a SR 4cyl, Tacoma is a touch over 1600 lbs, towing is 3500 lbs. My trailer, bike, 5 gallons of fuel is right around 1200 lbs....then a duffle, chuck box, cooler, MX gear bag...whatever that stuff weighs...can't be more than 500 lbs. Think I am well within its' capabilities.

Those F250's gas get like 10-11 mpg...that would be awful for commuting.

3/4 ton would be nice if I had a FWC....think I'll save that for when I retire. This truck will be mainly as a commuter and is supposed to last me until retirement. Tacoma is still winning the argument in my head...albeit a bit under powered...and that is ok.

Ok, here you go. Let's just get it done so we can all move on with out lives.

:D

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa...onGroup=MAN&mmt=[TOYOTA[TACOMA[TACOMA|SR]][]]

Although, threads would get rather dull.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Obviously we all need 2 trucks. The 4 cylinder Tacoma for daily use and a one ton for everything else. That's where I'm headed ha ha

-jorge

06 Access Cab Tacoma 4 cylinder 5spd 4x4 with 235's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles