Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

kenny256

Very nice addition! Love the rig...I love it anytime firearms/related items can be incorporated!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Really not needed IMO. Not an overly heavy vehicle, and if you choose a good P series it should be fine.

Dake21

Adventurer
Really not needed IMO. Not an overly heavy vehicle, and if you choose a good P series it should be fine.

I'm leaning for a P extra load, but I'm still curious. Everybody I've talked to in alberta so far tells me to go LT for hunting, but ''everybody'' also drive a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton trucks, not a 3500 lbs vehicle. I asked here since the forester/outback is the closest popular vehicle to mine.

kojackJKU

Thats the difference..On a truck, absolutely, on a lightweight rig, no. Don't mind alberta, if you listened to 90% of the people there you would have a bro dozer. ha ha...

I am not running LT on my patriot, about the same size, weight, ability as a forester. No need. As long as you get a good tire, your golden. Do NOT get Goodyear SR-A. I ran those on 2 rig and were crap!

ihatemybike

Explorer
A lot of people use LT tires on lighter vehicle for off road use due to the thicker sidewalls. They are a bit harder to damage on the trail.

kojackJKU

yes...but IMO in lighter rigs, even that is not needed hence the amount of abuse will be less as people most likely will not put their subarus, light jeeps, etc in places that people put their rock crawling Jeeps, tacos, and buggies. They ride like ******** on lighter rigs too.

perterra

Adventurer
LT's are much better in mesquite brush country with a lot less thorn related flats, and they seem more cut resistant when aired way down. Ride is rougher, so you pick what works.

Last edited:

Dake21

Adventurer
One thing I was told also (and it makes sense to me) is an LT is a lot less flexible and a light rig might not put down enough weight on it, so the contact patch will be smaller. This would result in a loss of traction vs a more flexible tire. That's why a lot of mud tire comes in C load and not E load.

The lightweight rig with LTs I have seen so far was on an add and he was selling those LTs. It doesn't seem to be very common.

perterra

Adventurer
One thing I was told also (and it makes sense to me) is an LT is a lot less flexible and a light rig might not put down enough weight on it, so the contact patch will be smaller. This would result in a loss of traction vs a more flexible tire. That's why a lot of mud tire comes in C load and not E load.

The lightweight rig with LTs I have seen so far was on an add and he was selling those LTs. It doesn't seem to be very common.

I never noticed much traction difference between LT's and P's on Jeep CJ's. But here most working truck mud tires are tall and skinny.

Dake21

Adventurer
It's always good to hear people's first hand experience. The CJ is what, 2660lbs? (google says a CJ5 is that weight) were you running coils or leaf spring on your CJ?

perterra

Adventurer
Both CJ 7 and YJ. Both were leaf spring. I'd guess in the 3200 to 3400 range, the CJ started out as a bare bones 83 CJ, 6 cyl, no rear seat or top, it ended up with a hard top, heavy bumpers and winch. It did ride rougher on the highway with LT's, that part was noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles