Jeep Grand Cherokee WK (2005-2010) as ExPo vehicle

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I have been getting ready for some multi day off road trips this summer/fall and have added more equipment to my WK and decided to check my actual gross vehicle weight at a local truck scale.
Here are some pictures with the added equipment installed.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is approximately what I will be carrying on these trips (on one trip I will be adding 2/5 gal. Gas cans)
The Jeep was weighed will a full tank and me onboard. The GVW for my Jeep is 6150# and it weighed in at 6260# ,110# over weight ! I could loose some weight myself but I think it will be OK.

Last edited:

Bob Freda

Adventurer
The battery is now in its third location in a separate box behind the drivers seat. I use a National Luna split charge system that automatically switches from first charging the vehicle battery and then charges both batterys. The second battery is mainly used to power the fridge and my RTT accessories along with a few power outlet and the on-board air. I can also link the two batterys together if I need to jump start myself or add more power for winching.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Grand Cherokee had no room anywhere for a second battery except inside the passenger compartment. My first two locations were inside a battery box that took up too much storage space. My decision to remove the rear seat opened up more options for this mounting location. My future plan is to separate the compressor from the air tank and mount them inside the same box.

JamieWK

12599354_1981839428708287_694796019_n.jpg12677659_1701670340049149_1132233876_n.jpg

Just picked mine up and can not wait to start the process !!!

Attachments

• 12677515_1589353281389858_2110535124_n.jpg
    12677515_1589353281389858_2110535124_n.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 52

rallygabe

Observer
just chiming in :)

hey all, I owned a 2009 loaded laredo for a couple of years, and now in the market for another.

Thought I would add some of my ups and downs, since this is a post about the usefulness of the WK.

We bought ours as a CPO with something like 35k miles, clean looking.
Had to replace all four wheel bearings within two weeks of buying it. :(
Would smoke out the tailpipes at really odd times and no dealer could replicate. A year in and it finally died on the GF while she was on the road in IA, dealer in waterloo diagnosed it as a plugged PCV valve in about 30 minutes. (several other dealers did nothing because nothing came up on the computer...typical)

It developed a weird buzz/vibration and again 2 dealers told us to ****** off before a really awesome dealer in the tiny burg of Louisburg, WI (http://www.louisburggarage.net/) diagnosed it as a transfer case on the way out. $500 deductible later and it was replaced no questions asked.

So those were the definite low points. (oh and that one time I got a flat in Waterloo while it was about -30F in January)

I honestly think I bought a lemon that was rode hard and put away wet. because aside from the above problems I never had anything significant happen. We sold it with about 55k miles and we have regretted that ever since.

Our Laredo was loaded: uConnect stereo, backup camera, remote start, heated seats, leather, sunroof, tow hitch, etc. It also had the limited run dual plug 4.7L V8. Do not confuse this engine with the older Chrysler 4.7 V8!!

While the dual-plug head definitely points at some engineering mistakes the results form this engine are awesome. We got as high as 25mpg on the highway (albeit with a tailwind) and still when you put your foot in it the power just poured out like velvet hammers. granted you dont get 20+mpg when you are spitting out 300HP but having the technology to do both, in my opinion, as amazing. I previously owned an XJ and an MJ and the WK is hands down better to me. Driving to the trailhead is actually bearable and downright comfortable!

I had the QT1 system (only 4wd HI and LO) and even on the not-so-great stock Frontera tires we still drove that Jeep all over. I drove up the Dickeyville hillclimb, okay so it was the backside but its freakin steep and not maintained!

Sadly I do not have any pictures on this computer to share.

My closing thought would be:
When me and the GF went out to Colorado two summers ago one of the things we agreed on was that our WK would have been way better for the trip than our Silverado.

Last edited:

paroxysym

Adventurer
When me and the GF went out to Colorado two summers ago one of the things we agreed on was that our WK would have been way better for the trip than our Silverado.

glad to hear this as Im looking to relocate to CO next year, been contemplating keeping my WK or getting something else when I get out there. being as its paid off and ive dumped some money in her this year, im glad to hear it will be right at home in CO.

nonhog

Observer
Interesting thread.
Today we have an 06 HEMI GC inspected for possible purchase, DD for my wife and someday towing a smaller TT. Nice to see the positive input. Google can be scary because the lower %(negative reviews) is usually much louder than the higher % (positive reviews)
135K, anxious to see the inspection results!

jeepgc

Adventurer
Good luck nonhog with the results.

Our WK has a little over 130k now.

Biggest issue so far was a leaking radiator, otherwise all looking good, touch wood :)

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
What is the axle situation on these WKs? Can they be regeared? Lockers possible? What about the transfer case?
The rear axle for sure can be regeared and a locker added. I have not regeared since I am only running 33” tires and with the torque it is not needed. I have also added a rear air locker from ARB.
Since the front is IFS I am not sure regears and lockers are available.
Also QD2 has electronic limited slips both front and rear. That is a very capable system.

jfman

The rear axle for sure can be regeared and a locker added. I have not regeared since I am only running 33” tires and with the torque it is not needed. I have also added a rear air locker from ARB.
Since the front is IFS I am not sure regears and lockers are available.
Also QD2 has electronic limited slips both front and rear. That is a very capable system.

Thanks for chiming in.

What is qd2?

Is the transfer case full time awd or is it a true TC with 4hi and 4lo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94