Tires on Gen 3 - What are you running, how is the noise

cnutco

Adventurer
What's loud to you? I know I'm driving a Gen 2 but I've driven on a lot of different tires. I'd say for an inexpensive quiet tire I like the Yokohama Geolander A/T, Don't let the price fool you it's a far better tire than oh say "Falken A/T" and I will say they are a fair bit quieter than the old Toyo A/T (and these guys know how to make a quiet smooth tire) although I can only compare a 31" Yoko to a 35" Toyo A/T so there may be a curve.

The Geolander tires was the first this I bought for the Montero when I bought her. For quite tires that really perform on and off road, they have my vote!

When I finally get around to buying a second set wheels, I will have a set of Geolander tires on them!

Currently I am running 255/85-16 KM2. I am trying to stretch them to 40K miles before I buy my second set of KM2's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
Just put Cooper AT3 285/75/16 E rated on my 03 Montero. And OME Light duty front, medium duty rear. I am impressed with how quiet the tires are and the ride is just right! Stiffer ride now as the suspension is new, but improved. My noises come from drive line?? bad hum on the highway at 55mph +, but not from tires.

Had AT3 on previous 2000 Montero and really liked them!

What in your drive line do you think is making the noise?

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I put some BFG KO2 285/75/16s on my Gen 3, but before that I used to run Maxxis Bighorn 255/85/16s. The KO2s are significantly less noisy than the Bighorns and feel generally better, although less stiff than the MTs of course.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I just bought some Toyo AT2s in 265/70/17 for my 05. They are barely louder than the Goodyear/Dunlop tires that it came with, but those were worn out, and I wanted a matching set. :D

Overall, I am very happy with them. I recommended them to my family members a few years ago for their Jeeps and a truck. They have put many miles on and offroad and love the long tread life. If you want a slightly quieter tire, then Cooper or Yokohama are great options.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Currently I am running 255/85-16 KM2. I am trying to stretch them to 40K miles before I buy my second set of KM2's.
I put some BFG KO2 285/75/16s on my Gen 3, but before that I used to run Maxxis Bighorn 255/85/16s. The KO2s are significantly less noisy than the Bighorns and feel generally better, although less stiff than the MTs of course.

How do you guys like the 255/85-16's? I'm looking to get a set for the stock rims on my Montero Sport. Probably the Bighorns.

cnutco

Adventurer
How do you guys like the 255/85-16's? I'm looking to get a set for the stock rims on my Montero Sport.

I love the size and think it is a perfect size for my Montero that has the OME HD lift, stock wheels, and stock gearing. In my opinion, the KM2's are the best in that size, however they are not quite at all. I'm fine with the noise though, because I buy them for the aggressiveness. The only getting 40K miles sucks too, but they are softer and wish I could be off road more.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I did like the Bighorns, they performed well in pretty much any terrain but snow for me. But I replaced them with KO2s when they were done because of the road noise, that was just too much for me. (there are some pics of my build thread with pics if you want to see what it looked like on my car)

RttH

What in your drive line do you think is making the noise?
I am not sure what the vibration/hum is? It feels like its running down the center of the truck. Others who have ridden with me say it just feels like a truck. I find it odd that my older one was so quiet and this "newer" one feels this way. I thought that changing tires/shocks might mask or eliminate it but there is no change. It is subtle, but noticeable. Maybe muffler?? its a 2003 but just turned 50,000 miles. I'll keep looking. Tires are quiet though!

ifixpc

Observer
currently running 315/75/16 BFG KO's,
I don't complain about the noise as I previously run very noisy Interco TRXUS 265/75/16

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Swapped some worn 235/85/16 Michelin LTX a/t2's into my 06 and man what a difference a quite tire makes on these trucks. Ride isn't super harsh but noticeable over the P rated ones they replaced.

I've learned these chassis are very sensitive to tire tread designs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94