LR3/LR4: How to find the coveted rear locking diff

LR Max

Local Oaf
The question pops up and I've been wondering myself. How does one screen to find the rear locking diff on vehicles on the internet? There are many way to tell in person (aka, get up under there and look), but it is difficult to look at every truck 100s of miles away, or ask a salesman to go look.

Ok, so, first off, get a VIN. On auto trader, etc, VIN numbers are provided. So this is easy.

Next, www.vindecoderz.com website will give you what you need. Input in the VIN number.

When the readout comes, search for "diff", and you can see what is in the front (which is open) and rear.

Example below:

1.JPG

Then hit the green button on the right.

You'll get this:

2.JPG

Then hit CTRL+F to find. Search for "Diff". This will make thing easier.

3.JPG

Boom! And there you have it. So now you can look through all of the LR3s and 4s on autotrader, and find the rear locking diff.

If you notice, I blanked out all of the relevant information. I did this because I got the VIN from a private seller, and just wanted to keep that confidential to CYA. Also I have trolled Autotrader using this method, I have yet to find one with the locking diff. The example provided was from the private seller who specified a locking diff from the factory. It is pretty much the first time I've gotten a hit with the VIN Decoder.

So there you have it. Enjoy.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Word has it that to install a factory diff, you gotta get new ECUs and full vehicle wiring harness. I'd say, around $5k or so.

ARB is probably $2K installed (assuming you drop it off at a shop and ask them to install) for the rear only. Just the locker is $1k.

mmbirtcher

Observer
In my search for a Rover I have used exactly the method above (It lets you check 5 VIN's per day). The very few that I have found with HD have all been HSE's, but I prefer to get an SE for a variety of reasons (wheel size, I use my own iPad based navigation). Does anyone know of a factory locker coming in an SE model? Does anyone have an SE model with factory HD? Ultimately, if I can't find that combination I'll go with an ARB (if I decide I even need it).

vasily

Adventurer
I'm hoping more HD trucks show up now that more are coming off lease and that the disco5 will be introduced any day now.

lally

I'm hoping more HD trucks show up now that more are coming off lease and that the disco5 will be introduced any day now.

I just bought a 2013 LR4 a few weeks ago. I looked around, hard, for one with HD, no matter what year. I found 1 new one, but it didn't have any creature comforts (it was a base model).

I don't think LR makes very many of them.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I just found an 06 SE V8 with the rear locker...however they want a bunch of money and it has a salvage title.

If I was for sure gonna wheel the crap out of it for 10 years, I'd consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles