Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Man I wish this thing was in my budget. I talked to you guys via facebook a while back but my wife and I have followed you guys for a while and after looking at a few airstreams recently picked up a 28' Avion. Looking forward to hearing the thought process and see what combo you guys are going with next. We would also love to meet up in person the next time you guys are in SLC and talk life on the road with a dog as we are hoping to embark on a similar adventure next summer.
Tyler

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Awesome. We are sticking to Airstreams and sticking to a van. We will be back in SLC on Oct 1st. We should be there for a month. We would love to connect.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Well... we were thinking of selling this to get a transit, but there are a few issues.

1) transits aren't rated to tow much, despite having a powerful 3.5L ecoboost
2) 4x4 conversions are EXPENSIVE and are only available in a 2" lift - still not enough ground clearance
3) Fred is awesome, and he'll go places no transit can go.
4) I don't have the time, energy, or budget to build another rig all while living out of an Airstream.

So I'm considering hanging on to him and putting a hightop on it. I think they're ugly, but it makes a lot of sense for how we use Fred. That's the consensus for today at least...

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
So I'm considering hanging on to him and putting a hightop on it. I think they're ugly, but it makes a lot of sense for how we use Fred. That's the consensus for today at least...

Once you put a high top on you will wonder how you ever even questioned the decision.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Aesthetics in competition with functionality. The appearance of the high top will grow on you and you could get used to it. The loss of capability in a transit you may never get over. A tough call indeed.

High tops/roofs are at the pinnacle of van interior functionality in my view. Adding one will only have a minor affect on vehicle performance, but it will haven dramatic affect on usability!

Anyways, I'm excited to see where this goes regardless of your decision.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I prefer the looks of the high top. I was going to get an airstream b190 until I realized getting a forward facing car seat in it wasn't in my realm of possibilities.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yup, you're totally right. Those high tops are ugly, but they sure make the van more functional.

I worry that putting a high top on would hurt resale value too. What do you think?

DzlToy

Explorer
Steve, why do you need so much additional space in the van?

If it is a tow rig and "around town" rig for playing tourist, getting to mountain bike trails and getting off the beaten track to do some wilderness hiking or back country camping, I would not want anything larger (high top or Transit) than what you already have.

The Airstream seems very well equipped, so if you have everything in there, why make the van more camper-esque, especially at the expense of increase height, CoG, MPG, budget, ad infinitum.?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
We want to be able to ditch the airstream for a month at a time and just live out of the van. A bigger living space would be required.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Yup, you're totally right. Those high tops are ugly, but they sure make the van more functional.

I worry that putting a high top on would hurt resale value too. What do you think?

I don't think so. It may put you in a different buyer group, but a well done hightop won't decrease the value, and may increase it depending on how you kit it out.

DzlToy

Explorer
We want to be able to ditch the airstream for a month at a time and just live out of the van. A bigger living space would be required.

You, good sir, need an Iglhaut Sprinter conversion:

DSC_0004.jpeg

justbecause

perpetually lost
Is a big tent an option, like an oz? We have the rv4 and really like it, large enough for a queen size bed and our mountain smith 4cube totes and walking around room. Our next upgrade will be to wall up the awning. That will give us a bedroom and kitchen. Then all you need in the van is good storage and a fridge (or 2)

sixstringsteve

Explorer
we really dig the 4x4 sprinters. A buddy has one, and after spending a week with his, the seed was planted. But sprinters can't tow worth beans, hence the transit idea. But the transuiits can only barely tow beans, and maybe a little rice on the side. Fred, on the other hand, tows steak, beans, AND rice. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles