2005 Tundra diff breather relocation

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I used Toyota Part#90404-51319 union for the axle. Used fuel line and ziptied it behind the tail light. Used Toyota Part #90930-03136 breather on the end. First mod I did. Under $20.00 total.

I think that's the exact way I'm going to do this. Thanks for the part numbers, it's a huge help. :)

ARB also makes a full breather kit. More expensive than the DIY setup but it's pretty awesome and includes everything you need to setup your breathers. +1 for tidy and professional looking install as well.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Differential-Breather-Kit-170112-P22783.aspx

That's a pretty cool setup. One day I'll likely go that route. However, at this point I think I need to go the cheaper way simply due to finances. I just put a ton of money into the truck to get it all squared away so I can start fresh with it. My truck budget is blown at the moment. LOL.

Oh, one other stupid newb question: Am I good to just pull off the breather, or do I have to drain the diff fluid first? I'd assume I'm good to go as the breather is on top of the diff and the diff isn't (shouldn't?) be pressurized.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
You don't need to drain the diff fluid first. The breather is well above any location in the axle that would leak oil when the breather is removed, and even if there were internal pressure in the diff, no fluid should come out.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Good to know, thanks. :) I managed to slid underneath on Sunday and decided I'll try the route to the tail light. I'm working lots of OT right now, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it! :D

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Got the parts ordered today, and they should be in by Wednesday. So hopefully next weekend I'll be able to tackle the breather relocation project. :) Came to $30 total for the parts from Toyota and I'll pick up fuel line and hose clamps the day I do the job.

jim65wagon

I went the cheap route when i did this yeeeaars ago. I pulled the cap off the stock breather with a pair of pliers. Fuel hose clamped right to the end of the breather tube. I ran the hose behind the tailight and clamped a fuel filter from a lawn mower to the end of the hose. Differential has been fine and healthy breathing this way for 9 years or so with repeated dunkings under water

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'm reviving this old thread because I finally got around to doing this mod. Work got busy and then winter hit with a vengeance shortly after I ordered the parts so I wasn't able to get it done until today. Anyways, I used Toyota part # 90404-51319 for the nipple and Toyota part # 90930-03136 for the breather, 3/8" fuel line, hose clamps, teflon tape and zip ties. I ran it up behind the driver's side tail light.

Here's some pics of my install:

IMG_20170506_115408448_zpskyrmk3yw.jpg

IMG_20170506_115359881_zpsvba5ojse.jpg

IMG_20170506_115346331_zpswhg3yug7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier