O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It's sad to see a great source of inspiration leave this forum.

Thanks much Ilian. But the inspiration is still here, whether it be my G(just click back to pg1 to start getting inspired again, hehe) or the builds of others. Always more room for innovation and inspiration. I know of at least one hugely talented individual on this forum who will soon be bringing some massive inspiration to the G community!

Last edited:

keypocket

Beautiful build. Where'd you find the side trim / rub rail? I have a steel grey G550 with the bling taken off, etc. Very similar build - but that trim I have is atrocious. I could vinyl wrap it but if I could find some OEM trim would be awesome.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Beautiful build. Where'd you find the side trim / rub rail? I have a steel grey G550 with the bling taken off, etc. Very similar build - but that trim I have is atrocious. I could vinyl wrap it but if I could find some OEM trim would be awesome.

Thanks!
Hehe, it's "custom." Feel free to PM me for further info.
-Jeremy

Scott Brady

Founder
How well did those Hutchinsons balance? I just installed a set on my 463 and it has a pretty good wobble. They were balanced with the stick on weights

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How well did those Hutchinsons balance? I just installed a set on my 463 and it has a pretty good wobble. They were balanced with the stick on weights

Hey Scott,

Tony at Motorsports(Hutchinson dealer, big G-Wagen enthusiast; 503.244.9010) used clamp-on weights on the exterior at first, since stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel contacted the caliper. I had ghost shimmies starting at 58mph, so we added some of the Counteract/Equal bead material. Helped for some time, but vibes came back. We ended up finding(and I talk about it pages back somewhere) that Hutchinson's engineers are basically full of you know what. They said that the wheels are hubcentric to the G's. Unfortunately they aren't. IIRC the hub nose is something like 54mm yet the centerbore of the Hutchinson is 55mm....so we then started taping the inside of the wheel to make our own hubcentric ring as there's no way to make a 1mm ring. Now what Tony is doing for Chad(who bought my G) is boring out the Hutchinson centerbore, and making a true hubcentric ring to make these finally hubcentric.

But as you know Scott, the G's are known for ghost vibes. So check all the typical rubber bushing culprits, bearings, etc.

-Jeremy

Don Raptor

Observer

McBride

Adventurer
Scott,

The first thing I'd do is to identify which wheel might be the source of the imbalance. Check the balance of that wheel. If it doesn't balance then pull it apart and re-assemble it. The bead could be locked in ever so slightly off.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
there are 2 versions (for us non-military users) of the Hutchinson that have the same bolt pattern.
WA0492 with 84mm centerbore
https://www.nakatanenga.de/fahrzeug...utchinson-beadlockfelge-fuer-mercedes-g?c=244

WA0491 with 85,5mm centerbore (made for the Puch Pinzgauer)
https://www.nakatanenga.de/fahrzeug...n-beadlockfelge-fuer-mercedes-pinzgauer?c=244

the WA0491 is way cheaper and has a smaller load rating (1300kg vs 1500kg)

so maybe you got the WA0491?

Malte

Malte, you're forgetting the 3rd Hutchinson, the WA-1207 like I had in 5x130mm(otherwise known as 5 on 5.1), 16x7.5", 37et, 5.83" backspacing;
http://high-impact.net/dot_approved_beadlocks.htm
wa1207.jpg

penguincoder

Observer
That's so strange. My G550 only needs a flathead screwdriver to take the spare tire cap off.

I like how it looks so far, particularly the meaty tires and lack of running boards.

greynolds

Observer
The big cover over the spare tire on the back with the Mercedes logo. It's just a twist lock that can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. I didn't know they came with a lock that required a key.
I think he was wondering what your reply had to do with the discussion in the thread. There was no recent mention of removing the spare tire cover, so your response looks like it was made in the wrong thread or something. Perhaps if you had quoted what you were responding to, the context of that would make a little more sense... :)

penguincoder

Observer
I think he was wondering what your reply had to do with the discussion in the thread. There was no recent mention of removing the spare tire cover, so your response looks like it was made in the wrong thread or something. Perhaps if you had quoted what you were responding to, the context of that would make a little more sense... :)

Oh, I get it now. Sorry guys. I thought I saw something about grinding off the lock and thought it was weird.

ricardo

Observer
Refreshes my childhood dreams of off road vehicles.

At first, I wanted a Jeep Wrangler - MacGyver had one and I looked up to him

As I grew a little older, on a Base. Seeing the HMMWV all over the place, I wanted it. Saw Hulk Hogan with one and it was done in my book.

Later, as I matured, Had the pleasure to see and drive a military version of the G500. Then a regular G500, G 55 AMG, and got hands on with a G 63 AMG - This is where I wanted to be in a vehicle.

Currently, I have a Tacoma. Dual Cab Short Bed with a Cap on it and rigging her for Overlanding and crawling.

At one point in my life, after selling some of my property. I had enough to purchase the H1 Alpha outfitted the way I wanted it. Went to the dealer, money in hand, and they treated me like garbage. Young man, successful and ready to purchase what I wanted. No one, including the manager, gave me the time of day. Pre-Qualified me as they say in the industry.

Well, I wasn't happy that there was something I had my heart set on that I was able to get and was so put off by the people there. So, I did a childish thing. Logged onto my online banking and shoved my phone in the faces of the manager and sales man that refused me service, or even allow me a test drive. Jaws dropped and then it was a completely song and dance from them. So put off, I decided to leave.

As time progressed, the opportunities arose for me to get hands on with the G Wagen. That was it for me. Liked the styling of it and similar to a Defender but none of the issues getting one stateside NEW. Well, that was, till I decided I wanted to get a Supercharged version from the dealer. Or ANY OF THE G-Wagens for that matter. These people were realistic and very helpful. I had to 'ORDER; one since there was an allotment issue. Being impatient and not wanting to wait another 18 months for mine to come in, pulled my $60k deposit. No one was happy at that. Not me, wife or the dealer.

Fast foreword many years, and life has changed. This is now one of the things that will be unobtainable for me until there are some major changes in our lifestyle. Four children, my wife and things are hard financially. If the opportunity presented itself I would still get one. I read the builds and by far this is one I have been noting ideas from. So one day, in the distant future, I will be 'on the Wagen' ;)

My journey Step by Step besides the H1 Episode, very sincere..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles