Good guide to keeping your build legal

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi guys
Came across these on the web and found them interesting reading. They also might help if you are building your own motorhome. These are Australian requirements and are extensive and there are differences between sub-4495kg vehicles and larger ones.

Cheers
Steve

Over 4.5t https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201603-0305-vsg5-converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

Below 4.5t https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_01Jan2011_v3.pdf

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Meanwhile in 'America

ea484cbbeade9d3831d11c2c3e10ebb0.jpg

Brenie

But what legally constitutes the difference between a "Campervan/CamperTruck" and a motorhome? cannot seem to find that.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
A motorhome is a special purpose motor vehicle manufactured to include accommodation space which contains at least the following equipment:-
• seats, and table;
• sleeping accommodation, which may be by converting seats;
• cooking facilities; and
• storage facilities.
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

Don't believe me... here is a link to the specific Australian Government document. :)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I was wondering what was happening with your build, mog.

Thanks for the update!

I really like the way it is coming together. I imagine that the cab stays very cool and you don't get much sun in your eyes.

corrupt

Observer
I'm going to ask my insurance company that same question. If I have to have separate insurance for the truck and camper I may follow the above guidelines and make it a motorhome to save myself some money.

What I dont like about the motorhome guide is having to have a roof vent towards the rear of the cabin as I want all the roof covered in solar and this
"The door must be sufficiently close to the ground so that it can be accessed without steps or with a minimal number of fixed steps and does not require portable steps of any kind" as my best floor plan puts my door right above the rear wheel.

corrupt

Observer
But what legally constitutes the difference between a "Campervan/CamperTruck" and a motorhome? cannot seem to find that.

I'm going to ask my insurance company that same question. If I have to have separate insurance for the truck and camper I may follow the above guidelines and make it a motorhome to save myself some money.

What I dont like about the motorhome guide is having to have a roof vent towards the rear of the cabin as I want all the roof covered in solar and this
"The door must be sufficiently close to the ground so that it can be accessed without steps or with a minimal number of fixed steps and does not require portable steps of any kind" as my best floor plan puts my door right above the rear wheel.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not think that every authority enforces all the rules all of the time. I have seen lots of motorhomes that have removable steps, many of which have been truck based.
One thing that they do seem quite strict on is that the body must be permanently mounted, not removable. If the registration costs were the same for a motorhome and a commercial truck there would be no logic to this, but given the reduced cost of registering the vehicle as a motorhome I can understand their reasoning for requiring that the body cannot be removed, allowing the owner to get cheap truck registration.

pugslyyy

One thing that they do seem quite strict on is that the body must be permanently mounted, not removable. If the registration costs were the same for a motorhome and a commercial truck there would be no logic to this, but given the reduced cost of registering the vehicle as a motorhome I can understand their reasoning for requiring that the body cannot be removed, allowing the owner to get cheap truck registration.

The US is the same in this respect, but we go a step further - classification as a motorhome means that it is pretty much treated as if it were a regular sedan for licensing, etc.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The US is the same in this respect, but we go a step further - classification as a motorhome means that it is pretty much treated as if it were a regular sedan for licensing, etc.

That's kind of the same here, but there is a one significant caveat, that being the GVM.
If the GVM is under 4500KG then the vehicle is seen as a normal "passenger vehicle", but if over 4500KG there are still some of the truck rules you need to comply with, like compulsory registration inspections (normally every two years).

pugslyyy

That's kind of the same here, but there is a one significant caveat, that being the GVM.
If the GVM is under 4500KG then the vehicle is seen as a normal "passenger vehicle", but if over 4500KG there are still some of the truck rules you need to comply with, like compulsory registration inspections (normally every two years).

The breakpoint in the US is 26,000 pounds / 11,800 kg. Depending on the state you may or may not need a different license if your RV is over that weight.

corrupt

Observer
In Western Australia there is no motorhome rego, If its on a truck it still is a truck. The good thing about this is its cheaper to rego a truck than a car.
landcruiser $512
12t and under truck $460

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles