What do you use for a truck gun?

Dalko43

Explorer
Love this topic!

Unfortunately due to where I live, certain truck gun "options" are a no-go for me. And quite honestly I don't have to contend with much in the way of hostile critters, furry or otherwise (at least nothing that a 100lb GSD won't run off).

That said, I've considered moving out west and thought about what kind of weapon I might have in my truck for remote camping, hunting and exploration. I think that while there are many 5.56 platforms that are time-tested and proven, that caliber is mostly inadequate when it comes to taking down larger-sized mammals, especially the apex predators one might encounter out west. The way I see it, a truck gun needs to have the flexibility and utility to deal with any threat that might arise on short notice. A 5.56 semi-auto, while capable in several different roles, is certainly not known for being the most effective cartridge at quickly putting down threats, even in war-time scenarios. My humble opinion of course, but I see a .308 rifle, at a minimum, as the better semi-auto option for a truck gun. Outside of that, I see a reliable pump-action, 12 gauge (maybe something like a mossberg 590) with slugs as another good option; you're certainly giving up something in the way of range, but you get better capability at quickly putting down large-bodied threats (I hate to use the term "stopping power" but that term might have some applicability here).

All that said, 5.56 is not only very prevalent in terms of weapons and ammo availability, but also has low recoil (relative to other calibers) and allows for more ammo in the same storage space. So if nothing else, good shot placement and follow-up shots should be able to deal with most realistic situations (which has always been the main argument for going with a 5.56 over other, larger caliber systems).

Last edited:

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Interesting topic. I have an old and worn 30-30 that I always imagined would be a good brush gun / saddle gun, so I actually started carrying it around in my Tacoma adventures for a while. After a few years I decided having a truck gun didn't make a lot of sense for me anymore.

Ray_G

Explorer
That said, I've considered moving out west and thought about what kind of weapon I might have in my truck for remote camping, hunting and exploration. I think that while there are many 5.56 platforms that are time-tested and proven, that caliber is mostly inadequate when it comes to taking down larger-sized mammals, especially the apex predators one might encounter out west. The way I see it, a truck gun needs to have the flexibility and utility to deal with any threat that might arise on short notice. A 5.56 semi-auto, while capable in several different roles, is certainly not known for being the most effective cartridge at quickly putting down threats, even in war-time scenarios. My humble opinion of course, but I see a .308 rifle, at a minimum, as the better semi-auto option for a truck gun. Outside of that, I see a reliable pump-action, 12 gauge (maybe something like a mossberg 590) with slugs as another good option; you're certainly giving up something in the way of range, but you get better capability at quickly putting down large-bodied threats (I hate to use the term "stopping power" but that term might have some applicability here).

All that said, 5.56 is not only very prevalent in terms of weapons and ammo availability, but also has low recoil (relative to other calibers) and allows for more ammo in the same storage space. So if nothing else, good shot placement and follow-up shots should be able to deal with most realistic situations (which has always been the main argument for going with a 5.56 over other, larger caliber systems).

So opinions, and to a degree data, on this is about as wide ranging and substantive as a toyota vs jeep vs rover vs whatever discussion. That said there is truth in the idea that there is no replacement for displacement in terms of caliber-i.e. if your truck gun application is in an area where there are Grizzlies...yeah, 5.56 prob isn't getting it done without a lot of drama. On the other hand for most situations the weapon that is best is one that you've trained with so if that's a .308, it makes sense to have a version of that onboard.

...in my opinion...

I'd also note that I've never seen issues with MK262 (aka 77gr OTM HPBT) knocking things down; once my snipers started getting it for our accurrized 5.56mm platforms those of us with M4's started grabbing it fairly quickly and then it became far more proliferated (this was a decade ago...the expensive diet continues to this day). Just like opinions we're all biased from personal experience! Given where I play, its good enough for my application all things considered.

Dalko43

Explorer
So opinions, and to a degree data, on this is about as wide ranging and substantive as a toyota vs jeep vs rover vs whatever discussion. That said there is truth in the idea that there is no replacement for displacement in terms of caliber-i.e. if your truck gun application is in an area where there are Grizzlies...yeah, 5.56 prob isn't getting it done without a lot of drama. On the other hand for most situations the weapon that is best is one that you've trained with so if that's a .308, it makes sense to have a version of that onboard.

...in my opinion...

I'd also note that I've never seen issues with MK262 (aka 77gr OTM HPBT) knocking things down; once my snipers started getting it for our accurrized 5.56mm platforms those of us with M4's started grabbing it fairly quickly and then it became far more proliferated (this was a decade ago...the expensive diet continues to this day). Just like opinions we're all biased from personal experience! Given where I play, its good enough for my application all things considered.

Agree with most of this, though I can't really speak to the effectiveness of 77gr OTM HPBT as we weren't allowed to use HP's in the service.

I understand, and generally agree with, the concept of 'use what you are most comfortable with'...obviously this is a general rule of thumb and has its limits (if you're comfortable with a .22, that's probably not going to help you much in grizzly country).
I do think highly of 5.56 rifles; I've trained extensively with 5.56 and it certainly has gotten the job done in many different theaters of war. Like you said, everyone has their favorite "brands" which they like to champion. I may prefer .308, or some other .30 caliber, over 5.56, but that doesn't preclude me from acknowledging the benefits of a 5.56 platform.

That said, for the purposes of a general utility truck gun in North America, I do think there are other options worth considering. If you are worried about hostile critters of the 2-legged nature, 5.56 suffices, but when you start talking about 4-legged critters of mountain lion size and up, I begin to wonder about its effectiveness.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
21574768-dd53-4c69-b853-950efff87049.jpg

I'm paying off one of these keltec sub 2000 in 9 mm with the glock mag fit out. But I live in Canada eh ! I like the thought of the big sky gun rack and will be making something similar for my Trooper for my long guns

jon c

Supporting Sponsor: Magpul
Agree with most of this, though I can't really speak to the effectiveness of 77gr OTM HPBT as we weren't allowed to use HP's in the service.

Just throwing it out there, your JAG and command screwed you. 77GR OTM (Sierra Match King) is not an expanding bullet. MK262 Mod 0 and Mod 1 passed legal review well over a decade ago and is approved and authorized by the DOD. If you're still in, PM me and I will get the DoD/DA authorization to you, as well as the current DODACs so your unit can order it.

Dalko43

Explorer
Just throwing it out there, your JAG and command screwed you. 77GR OTM (Sierra Match King) is not an expanding bullet. MK262 Mod 0 and Mod 1 passed legal review well over a decade ago and is approved and authorized by the DOD. If you're still in, PM me and I will get the DoD/DA authorization to you, as well as the current DODACs so your unit can order it.

Yeah, i might just be suffering from a bad memory on this. I didn't handle the JAG side of things nor the ammo side, but in all the training and deployments I did, I don't remember loading HP's....so maybe my unit had access to them but just didn't use them for whatever reason.

robert

Expedition Leader
View attachment 360017

I'm paying off one of these keltec sub 2000 in 9 mm with the glock mag fit out. But I live in Canada eh ! I like the thought of the big sky gun rack and will be making something similar for my Trooper for my long guns

Fun little guns and the 16" barrel adds some zip to the 9mm. Every Kel-Tec product I've seen seems to come about 95% finished with the buyer needing to clean up leftover mold flashing, smooth off rough edges, polish the internals, etc. IIRC, you guys can't get the good magazines i.e. the 33rnd Glock mags but I can recommend a couple of items if you can get them. The KelTec factory spare magazine holder if it will work on the 2nd gens (not sure and I don't see them on KTs website at the moment) and a rail section for a light plus there is a company called tacticool products that makes a slip over buffer tube cover, bolt buffer and a cocking handle slip over cover. The buffer tube cover fits nice and helps when it's cold out; the buffer seems to help recoil a little but the bolt won't lock into the rearward position in the notch if you use it. Mine is a 1st gen and folks seem to enjoy shooting it and it's always been reliable, even with the inexpensive Korean magazines*, but it just doesn't inspire enough confidence in me for some reason, I guess it's just a subjective thing regarding the way it feels.

http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/products/

*If you get the Korean mags, you will need to disassemble them, clean up any flashing inside, possibly smooth the follower, and replace the bottom with a factory Glock (they stay on better). If you still have any issues replace the spring with either a factory Glock or aftermarket such as Wolff.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I've always preferred lever guns......specifically Model 94 Winchesters.
This is the one I usually keep behind the seats.......I acquired it a half-dozen years ago...... 20" barrel........ .32 Winchester Special........ made in 1947.
I think it spent most of it's life sitting in the back of a closet!

perterra

Adventurer
Some form of throw away. Could be stolen in a split second. Rossi, Taurus, Keltec, nothing expensive. If it's a long gun and I know I will be around it, Remington 870 with slugs, 00 or #4 Turkey loads.

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
When camping or exploring remote areas, I'm only worried about bipedal threats. I'm always with my kids and typically travel with another dad/kids, but not always. Usually there is no cell coverage, and where there is, 911 response times are measured in hours.

My preferred truck/camp gun is my Henry .357 lever action. It holds 10 rounds and with iron sights I can shoot accurately out to 75-100 yards. For personal protection in BFE I prefer the Henry to any handgun.

R

zimm

Expedition Leader
being as you need to inform the feds if youre crossing lines with a tax stamp sbr, i think they make good home defense but poor truck guns. otherwise a sig mcx 300blk 9" with silencer would be tempting. youd get to keep tinnitus away, or not make it worse in my case. the earplugs never seem to be in the ears when needed.

visible weapons are frowned upon in may areas, and tempt thieves, so full size rifles tend to be awkward to access if hidden.

223's kill people quite well, and work on many small critters and k9's, but it lacks thump.

all in all, i'd contact shuffs parkerizing and have a bm59 para style 16" garand with en block clips.

packable without a stamp
all around useful cartridge
easy fast reload without running afoul of various state mag limits.
no "black rifle" hysteria surrounding it.
************* cool gun.

its not a ranch rifle, its a truck gun. trucks move thru various environments, so the gun ought to adaptable to those environments.

i found i was more in fear of theft than anything else, or shooting w/o ear protection, so i eliminated the truck gun.

Ray_G

Explorer
Update since I had some duracoat that needed to be used and the budget AR pistol was nearby...so there it goes, no longer evil and black.

Pic illustrates the size relative to a standard M4 sized rifle (it's a .22 but that's immaterial to the size).
Exceptionally handy in this configuration, since it's a pistol can stay loaded in the truck under CCW and no stamp, no ATF involvement.

Downside is as alluded to from Zimm, if you went hot it will def do some hearing damage. Then again I have yet to pass a hearing test and at the 20 year mark of doing this I don't think that will change so until I decide to go on the radar for a can it is what it is.

Mind you this is all with the 77gr that we've been discussion, and as noted for other applications it doesn't break LOAC since it is a ballistic HP vice one that 'easily expands upon impact'-suffice it to say the OTM/BHP round still does quite well in a two legged application.
FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles