Factory Jack Replacements

JPsLC

Observer
I'm looking for input from others who have replaced their factory jack and/or tool kit. Sitting stock and without a place to secure/ or lift with a Hi Lift, I want a clean solution that fits in the stock location.

I need to retain some original tools so I can still lower the rear tire, but I'd be curious to know if there is an easy improvement over what came stock in 1998. Thanks in advance.

jhawk

Adventurer
I went with the jack below. With a little modifying of the mounting bracket it will fit in the factory spot with factory tools. I went with a longer jack handle that I store under the rear seat, the one with the jack is very short.

This jack is light years easier to use compared to the factory jack. Should lift the truck more than high enough if stock. Lifted bigger tire trucks may want a jack extension. I carry a chunk of 4x8 wood that I use as a base when needed.

Jim

http://www.kmart.com/ac-delco-6-ton...lerId=Kmart&prdNo=18&blockNo=18&blockType=G18

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Good question as I recently had a flat and barely got it to lift the truck high enough to remove my 33" tire.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I was actually just thinking about the same thing for my 4runner. I considered one of the 3" extension kits with the axle saddle but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Can anyone with an 80/100 LC measure their factory bottle jack and provide the closed height, and total open height?

JPsLC

Observer
ChuckB, I found that thread when searching. It's similar to the commercial products jhawk proposed from Safe Jacks.

I like the small bottle jack (6-ton) like the one Safe Jack offers, but their's is expensive (at least until Christmas because I do like their kit). On to a box store for a better deal and no shipping costs. This should be a good solution because I can keep my normal tools (or make a replacement) for lowering the spare tire and incorporate a longer jack handle for the bottle jack.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Shoot, I love the factory mechanical Toyota bottle jacks. They are great because of the range and because they will work in any position.
I have had one in my flat fender for years now.

The only thing that really annoyed me about them was the 'hook' style crank. I ended up modifying mine by welding a cut off spark plug socket onto the ring for the hook. The spare plug socket will let you use a 3/8" ratchet/extension to turn the jack. It also has a 13/16 hex on the end which you can use with a socket, end wrench, etc. You can even use an electric drill or impact to run the jack then....

If you don't want them, send them to me!

JPsLC

Observer
Shoot, I love the factory mechanical Toyota bottle jacks. They are great because of the range and because they will work in any position.
I have had one in my flat fender for years now.

The only thing that really annoyed me about them was the 'hook' style crank. I ended up modifying mine by welding a cut off spark plug socket onto the ring for the hook. The spare plug socket will let you use a 3/8" ratchet/extension to turn the jack. It also has a 13/16 hex on the end which you can use with a socket, end wrench, etc. You can even use an electric drill or impact to run the jack then....

If you don't want them, send them to me!

Based on your builds, we should all like them if you do! I don't mean to hate on the jack itself. My problem is the previous owner stripped the extension pieces leaving me with no good way to get the vehicle in the air. Since replacement pieces are the same cost as a bottle jack, I had to put out feelers and see what others had done. I'm never one to underestimate the an overlander.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Based on your builds, we should all like them if you do! I don't mean to hate on the jack itself. My problem is the previous owner stripped the extension pieces leaving me with no good way to get the vehicle in the air. Since replacement pieces are the same cost as a bottle jack, I had to put out feelers and see what others had done. I'm never one to underestimate the an overlander.

I don't know about all that, but thanks.

What do you mean stripped the extensions? The little hook part things?

I just welded that cut off spark plug socket on mine. Then I can use anything I want to turn it just about....including a small battery impact or cordless drill.
I'll get a picture in a few.

JPsLC

Observer
These are my extension pieces. The handle piece has a rounded home and the middle extension is crap. The only good piece I have is the one with the hook.
20160817_220630.jpg
20160817_220612.jpg

blackwood

Adventurer

I like the Toyota bottle jack as well, had to use it a few weeks ago. I carry a different bottle jack with a larger base. I got hung up on a rock at the rear diff and couldn't squeeze that bottle jack under the axle. I couldn't get enough height lifting from the frame. I was stumped and finally thought to use the factory jack at the axle, it got me raised up and I was out of there in no time. I'm going to ditch the other bottle jack and only carry it when I have a trailer attached.

I need to see about modding the handle but I don't weld. I might buy a Gator Grip socket for this purpose.
oGator_Grip.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm not a big fan of the extension pieces either, but I don't weld. I'm lucky if I can change my own oil!! :peepwall:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I can make a bolt on adapter if you guys are interested. Not a big deal.
Honestly it would probably be better for the jack without the welding heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles