Still a demand for Baja style campers?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Seems like all the small off road truck camper builders are out west, FWC, ATC Nothing in the south east. I cant drive to Cali to buy a camper BUMMER

And you dont want to spend over 20k on a FWC... I know they're built well but that's a lot of freaking money.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Ive thought about incorporating one of those topper lifting mechanisms whith this style camper and adding a fixed solid wall that would cover the gap when the top goes up.

Those topper lifting mechansims aren't cheap though and Im not sure they're strong enough.

Gunslinger1

Observer
Seems like all the small off road truck camper builders are out west, FWC, ATC Nothing in the south east. I cant drive to Cali to buy a camper BUMMER

Well there is hope for the South East EUREKA CAMPERS in Columbia TENN. builds a great little camper to fit my Frontier and is affordable to boot. Don their salesman was very helpful and is building our camper to fit our truck. Cant wait to pick it up and ramble around the mountains.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I wish you success with your venture!
As another Callen owner I agree: a pop-top added to Callen-style camper would sell well.

There is a company in Chula Vista (south of San Diego) that adds pop-tops to Elements and Jeeps :
http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/element-camper/common-questions.html

I called them last year, to ask if they would consider modifying a Callen and adding a pop-top, but they are a small operation and it didn't go anywhere.

I love my Callen- found it used for $800 in excellent condition. I'm the 2nd owner, have driven it to Baja numerous times without problems. There are many all over San Diego- they probably will outlive the vehicles.

But I often miss the '71 Westies I sold for a song many years ago. Love that camper design, just wished they had more power!
If/when someone recreates that in a sturdy shell there will be a market.

As for why this design is called a "Baja camper"- I've driven with fiberglass shells on 4wd trucks in Baja. They flexed, the bolted-on roof racks shifted , and they couldn't carry much weight. If you are going to remote beaches you often need to pack in everything, so you need a strong frame. They were also low-profile and uncomfortable to use as campers if you wanted to sleep inside out of the wind/rain/dust.

The fiberglass shells also leaked "moon dust" which is what you find heading out on dirt roads to many of the Pacific beaches in Baja: Powdery, fine dust that gets into everything. (I suspect something like the SpaceKap could have similar problems.) The Callen is well sealed.

So: no dust leaks + metal frame that carries weight with no problem + comfortable interior space= Baja.

As for interior: they are empty shells.
These photos show mine at a whale watching camp (Scammons Lagoon) with a solar panel propped up on the roof- part of a GoalZero system to charge electronics.

I modified the interior: sleeping platform on left with storage below, lighter items secured above for travel, shelving on right for storage etc.

I sewed curtains and added deep pockets to store lightweight items that stay inside between trips.

The sleeping platform & shelving is easily removed/rearranged for times I need to carry large items.

IMG_7529.jpgIMG_7532.jpgIMG_7536.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I wish finding a used callen for $800 was as easy as you make it sound.

Especially in San Diego. Most of them sell for well over 2k right now.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

I've noticed a Callen on display at that truck-shell reseller on the East side of the 163 just south of the 52. Been there for several months now - maybe a lowball offer would snag it?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've noticed a Callen on display at that truck-shell reseller on the East side of the 163 just south of the 52. Been there for several months now - maybe a lowball offer would snag it?

Thanks for the tip. I know what place you're talking about. Slim chance, but, could you tell the length of it?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Yeah,I keep hoping somebody local will revive the Callen style.
There's a huge market out there. I owned three of them.

PHeller

Adventurer
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this company (They sell the plans too)

http://www.diamondstrengthcampers.com

Interesting. I like the aero design, but I'm not big on the angled pieces at the bed as I feel like that is wasted space.

Basically I want enough space in my truck bed camper to store the smallest available 12v fridge under a queen sized sleeping platform and still be able to sit up straight in bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles