Advice on budget family camping vehicle (Sequoia, 4runner, LC, Taco? Domestic?)

TFin04

Adventurer
I hope this is the best spot for this post, if not I'm happy to try elsewhere. I'll try to keep this as short as I can.

I'm looking for an SUV or truck (probably SUV) that will be a third vehicle for my wife and me (with one kid on the way). We both have daily drivers that get 28-30mpg so this will just be a spare/vacation/tow/trail/dune vehicle for us. I expect to put 5,000-10,000 miles per year on this. The goal is to keep this for a long time as a family vehicle. I'd love to take something to 300k miles if possible.

Expected use:

- Haul house project material and tools around
- Tow a utility trailer
- Tow a future pontoon boat (~4000 lbs boat and trailer or less)
- Hold a car seat and associated infant/kid stuff
- Travel light to moderate Midwest trails. Unimproved logging roads, ATV parks, etc
- Travel Michigan sand dunes
- Be big enough for me to sleep in the back ~10-15 nights per year

Budget:

$8000 for the vehicle. That's a max budget, I'd love to be in around $5k for the truck to have some room on maintenance/parts. Parts can be added as I go along, but I don't see myself doing anything more than tires and inexpensive DIY projects. Maybe a small spring/lift kit upgrade but that is about the extent of it. If/when something needs a bigger repair (IE, trans work), I'd like to be able to work on it myself. User friendly maintenance is important to me.

That budget puts me into 1999-2004ish range of a bunch of vehicles ranging from 100k to 175k miles.
Current considerations:

Sequoia. Aware of timing belt and door latch issue. Mixed reviews on long term durability. Drive train seems solid at least. Would be an early model, 2001-2002 with 150k ish miles. Frame rust is a concern from Michigan driving.

4runner. V8 needed for towing? Is the back seat big enough for a car seat? Somewhat better vehicle selection in my area for the money, still well into the 100k mile range.

Land Cruiser, 99-00 vintage, at least 150k miles. Bigger than a 4runner with better quality than the Seq?

Dometics:
Ford Expedition. Easily the best value for mileage in the group. Can find some near or under 100k. Many are rusted to **** here in MI. I'm aware of the 5.4L spark plug issues. I've had terrible luck with Ford transmissions in 00-03 Explorers but the Exped seems better.

Chevy Tahoe/Sub/Yukon. Usually a lot of rust. 5.3 is solid, but the trans gives me pause. Most of the high mileage ones in my area are pretty rusty and many have replaced engines/trans.

Trucks:
Haven't found a four door Toyota near my price range. I can find quad cab F150's, but many are beat work trucks with a lot of rust. SUV platform seems better for my uses, but the truck would be great for house projects. This will be a 50% project getter, 25% fun vehicle to drive around, and 25% get the family to interesting places for vacation, so a truck isn't totally out of the question.

I hope I provided some reasonable needs. I'm currently leaning most heavily toward a Sequoia or V8 4Runner, but the 100k mile Expedition for $4500 sure is tempting. I see a lot of 250k+ Toyotas for sale that aren't huge rust buckets (that's saying something in MI). Not many 200k+ domestics and those that are look like a petri dish for oxidation. Thoughts?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'd go the Expedition or Sequoia route. Or, even better, an Excursion.

I have a 98 F150 and its the same platform as the expedition. Great truck and it has taken me some places I didnt think i'd ever get to. I have the 4.6L V8 which is a little under powered but I am just under 230k on the odo.

On the other hand, the sequoia has had a lot of chatter on here lately. I cant tell you all that much about them but I believe they are about the same in size and MPG.

If you can find a V8 or V10 Excursion that would be optimal, IMO. They can tow like crazy, based off an F250 chassis, they last for well over 200k and can fir 8 people and still have tons of room in the back.

Regardless of what you get, if you take care of the engine and do preventative maintenance it will last for over 200k.

Edit: If rust is that big of a concern for you, It might be worth taking a cheap red eye flight a few states south and making the trek home. Will prob save you lots of time further down the road.

Good Luck.

TFin04

Adventurer
I've been looking for Excursions but anything close to my price range is already 200k miles plus, at least within a few state radius. Traveling for a vehicle isn't out of the question, but I'd like to really nail down a vehicle model first so I can focus my search.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Understandable. If you wait long enough and you check CL and Auto Trader daily, you will come across exactly what you want. Plus, the longer you wait, the more you can add to your 8k price.

Not sure if you have thought about aftermarket support or not, but, the Expedition/excursion will have more options than the sequoia will.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sequoia prices are down and most seem to have lived a soccer mom life. Mine was a good example of that. Just know that the Sequoia tow rating isnt that high when you look at Suburbans and excursions. 5700 for gen 1. The first gen Sequoia is also smaller dimension wise. Better for tight trails and or tight city parking if those are concerns. For max load carrying ability I would put Suburban and excursion at the top end of the list. The extra long 2500 Suburban we had in the family had more power, and returned better mileage also. That and it was effing massive.

TFin04

Adventurer
Not sure if you have thought about aftermarket support or not, but, the Expedition/excursion will have more options than the sequoia will.

Yes, that is a nice factor. I also have a family source for Ford OEM parts at a discount, and have a Ford dealership mechanic who works on all of our ambulances who has offered to go through whatever I buy. Sticking with Ford would have some benefits, but the Toyota crowd sure makes it seem like maintenance is much less of an issue. Not sure how much of that is fanboyism or truth. Toyota's are definitely the preferred brand for people doing what I wish to do. That is compelling.

Maybe I'll save a search for southern Expeditions and see what rolls around. Appreciate your help.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My last three trucks were Toyota but my current Sequoia isnt really anything special regarding quality or durability over GM or Ford. I mainly got it for its foot print and usable 3rd row. AkA our mini van alternative. Ford and GM both do great stuff in the larger vehicles.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Ill second what CaliCamper says...there is a reason you don't see many Sequoias on the trail.

If you have connections with Ford and can get inspections and OEM parts for cheap then it seems like a no brianer to me....but then again I consider myself biased considering I've only driven Fords.

Good luck.

p nut

butter
Yes, that is a nice factor. I also have a family source for Ford OEM parts at a discount, and have a Ford dealership mechanic who works on all of our ambulances who has offered to go through whatever I buy. Sticking with Ford would have some benefits, but the Toyota crowd sure makes it seem like maintenance is much less of an issue. Not sure how much of that is fanboyism or truth. Toyota's are definitely the preferred brand for people doing what I wish to do. That is compelling.

Just the fact you have all of those connections at Ford would have me leaning that way. For me, I'd get a crew cab truck. I'm not sure how big your utility trailer is, but maybe even opting for a 3/4 ton wouldn't be a bad idea. I realized I start running out of cargo weight capacity fairly quick on my 1/2 ton truck. MPG will be less, but if you're only driving it 5-10k miles/year, who cares?

I'd look at craigslist in Arizona or other SW states. Minimal rust. Plus the flight out and road trip home would be a blast.

zidaro

Explorer
I'm a FF/medic in Mono Co. CA. So, we have Chevy, Dodge, and Ford platform ambulances in our fleet. Our Maintenance yard is always willing to work on them, and they spend a lot of time doing just that. Only saying that bc i would rather have a vehicle that will likely not need a ton of maintenance, than one that has cheap parts for me when it does.

Toyotas are reliable and last forever! There are lemons, but few and far between, esp. if your picking one up with a 150k on it. Its already made it this far........

8k indoor year range could get you a nice Sequoia, tundra, or 4runner. The Runners only came v8 from 03-09. Stay away from the v6 Tundra unless its the T100, they are underpowered. Sequoia is a great platform for a cheap build. easy to find one for a great price and they are all owned by grocery getters. they share the same frame, engine front suspension as their tundra brother. They are BIG and gas mileage might suffer as opposed to the 4runners with a v8, but if you need that kind of room. Toytec just came out with their Boss Suspension for them, we installed one on my buds and he is loving it so far. Weight is its enemy though on the trail. The 4.7L is at its limits with the larger rig, fits the 4runner perfect but the sequoia is large.

I just picked up an 08 v8 runner with 200k mi. on it, from Kansas city. cost me ~$9k it was in great shape and only needs the standard done to it, I'm not going to stop there but thats a different thread :) MO is at the fringes of the rust belt for sure, and i was very leary. Turns out, this rig has rust but it is surface rust and seems controllable. Ive already done a good thorough frame scour and rust converter/repaint, think i got a handle on it and it is looking good again.
I have a kid, and a dog, and a wife :) The room is tight when loaded up, but it keeps us from bringing too much and we are plenty comfortable during the times we are loaded. The V8 is strong and feels very appropriately sized in the Runner. Im sure it would tow 5k without too much trouble, but i would never want to max it out.

Lots of choices, of course. None bad, just different. Make sure you post up what you go with and show us the goods in use!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'd get the sequoia. My brother recently bought one with around 150k on it. Still drives like new. And it's in your budget.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Ill second what CaliCamper says...there is a reason you don't see many Sequoias on the trail.

If you have connections with Ford and can get inspections and OEM parts for cheap then it seems like a no brianer to me....but then again I consider myself biased considering I've only driven Fords.

Good luck.

What's the reason? I see as many sequoias off road as I do expeditions.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What's the reason? I see as many sequoias off road as I do expeditions.

Not much aftermarket support compared to an expedition. It must be different where you live, or maybe you get out more than I do, but I haven't seen many Sequoias on any trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles