Coleman Addiction.....for pesants. ha ha ha!

AndrewP

Explorer
Since I am not going to go out and spend 70 bucks on a titanium coffee mug, lets here about everyone's coleman addiction. I have a crap load of stoves, accessories, bbqs etc from coleman. Even tried to get a coleman pop up trailer but could not find one in Newfoundland. Fire away everyone...

HaHa. Coleman stuff is the best, well, really, the old stuff. Coleman stoves especially, but the lanterns are fun too. You can pay $300 for a Partner Steel stove, that runs on propane, or $20 for Coleman stoves that run on gasoline(and burns hotter), that you likely have in abundance anyway. Your call.

While it isn't a huge deal, Snow Peak lost me at the $20 titanium chop sticks. Good stuff no doubt, but really? My local Asian market sells the great plastic ones for $10 for 10 sets, all different colors.

It's funny that Coleman did, in the context of the time, in the 1960's, the same thing Snow Peak is doing now. What's old is new again!

With regards to the addiction, I have maybe 30 stoves, and 20 lanterns, small beans for many, but still super cool. The lanterns have unfortunately been usurped for camp lighting by LED's, but the stoves are still better in many ways than any alternative.

huachuca

Adventurer
I've acquired a lot of Coleman gear over the years and still use most of it (exception being the huge canvas wall tent). The stove and oven date back to my college days in the sixties. Not the sexiest thing going but it works.

IMG_4297_zpserbblrqq.jpg

AaronK

Explorer
Forgot about the fold up oven. Got one of those too! Fresh cinnamon rolls make for a nice breakfast!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Kevin108

Explorer
used to use the catalytic domed heater ?
anyone still use one ?

The only time I've used it was sitting outside watching the stars. A fire would ruin your night vision but you can run the catalytic heater by your feet and hold your hands over it, staying toasty.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Isn't the 3 burner white gas stove long out of production?
My Grandmother still has that one from when my Grandfather would go hunting. Still has the folding stand as well. That one was a bit more quality than the current model.

huachuca

Adventurer
Isn't the 3 burner white gas stove long out of production?
My Grandmother still has that one from when my Grandfather would go hunting. Still has the folding stand as well. That one was a bit more quality than the current model.

Correct.
If your grandfather's is getting under foot, I'll be heading to southern Utah in late September and would get it out of your way if you'll throw in the stand.:sombrero:

AndrewP

Explorer
You can't buy a new 3 burner, but there are piles of old ones. Craig's list is your source. It's OK because with a clean out, a new generator and a new cap gasket, it's basically a new stove.

There are advantages to 2 and 3 burner stoves, depending on how much room you have. When I take my FJ40, I take a small 425 2 burner stove. Actually, I take a super ugly avocado Sears version which is even smaller than a 425 but with the same burners and spacing. When I take a wagon, I generally take a large 426 3 burner stove. Like this:

Utah2014039640x480_zps79da587a.jpg

Or this (straight out of 1938):

PA210002_zpskoydwcub.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
nice pan :)
love cooking on steel

You can't buy a new 3 burner, but there are piles of old ones. Craig's list is your source. It's OK because with a clean out, a new generator and a new cap gasket, it's basically a new stove.

There are advantages to 2 and 3 burner stoves, depending on how much room you have. When I take my FJ40, I take a small 425 2 burner stove. Actually, I take a super ugly avocado Sears version which is even smaller than a 425 but with the same burners and spacing. When I take a wagon, I generally take a large 426 3 burner stove. Like this:

Utah2014039640x480_zps79da587a.jpg

Or this (straight out of 1938):

PA210002_zpskoydwcub.jpg

siebermd

Adventurer
The new gear is still decent, however all from cheap materials and manufacturing. Got to be careful now too, because of the new ownership. Look closely as the same label now reflects "Colegans". I was a little shocked when I first discovered the change.

AndrewP

Explorer
The new gear is still decent, however all from cheap materials and manufacturing. Got to be careful now too, because of the new ownership. Look closely as the same label now reflects "Colegans". I was a little shocked when I first discovered the change.

No. Coglans is an old time outdoor gear company from Canada (maybe Winnipeg?) They make some of the same stuff.

Coleman is part of the Jarden group of companies. But, they still make a white gas stove or two, and a white gas lantern in the old way. They likely don't sell many, and I suspect just keep up production for the link to the past.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I do quite a bit of work in Japan and the Coleman brand is big over there. The lineup is different than what we have in the States, and the construction is quite lightweight, but it's nice to see the brand. Personally, we have 2 old 2-burner stoves and we just bought a 3-burner that appears to be in great shape. We also have a 2-mantle lantern that we use regularly. One of the stoves will get mounted on a pull-out in KETO 1.

slvyj

Observer
Two stoves, four lanterns and heater. I just started, love the Coleman white gas stuff, super reliable and easy to maintain.

Kevin108

Explorer
You guys ever seen the "stove" attachment for the lanterns? There were several makes. The one I have is called My Cookin' Buddy.

2016-01-24%2015.14.07.jpg

2016-01-24%2015.16.24.jpg

crusaderJK

Adventurer
There's a lot of stovies on here, but I guess that is because we're in the overland chef subforum.

I only have 2 stoves (dual and single burner) and about 15 lanterns.

DSC_2348.JPGDSC_2349.JPGDSC_2347.JPG

While a lot of people don't like the newer stuff, I love the lanterns for custom projects.

DSC_2258_2.JPGDSC_2369.JPG
DSC_2443.JPGDSC_2454.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles