welcome to the jungle; anyone reaplce a rear sliding window on a 2.5 gen ?

bikerjosh

Explorer
So I park at our local subway(BART) station, actually parked on the street because the lots were full. Well, a fine upstanding citizen freed my montero from the rear passenger side sliding window and then proceeded to have his (or her, not making any judgments here) with my interior, couple dash pieces broken, hidden powered sub (not hidden enough), recovery gear, broke stereo trying to remove it (potentially tough one handed, as I'm sure the other hand had a crack pipe in it), even made off with my gym bag including cycling shorts and jersey (likely smelled like death but in a plastic bag) cycling shoes (likely worse than death) unfortunately a HR monitor and a semi working ipod that has to be jump started to play by plugging into my stereo (sweat too much into it).

Soooo at any rate, anyone replaced this window or know how to remove the whole assembly from a car at the junk yard?
thanks.
PS- stay away from West Oakland.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
?Unlucky, super easy to replace. pull the inside molding (the rubber trim/gasket directly around the window) you will find 4 or 6 metal clips. pull those with a small screwdriver or probe, the window then pushes out from the inside. done deal.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If your truck is ready for the Sierra Challenge this year I might have a window for you...

bikerjosh

Explorer
Thanks, Toasty heading to PnP today after work to look for one, they have a 96 with front end damage.-Josh

bikerjosh

Explorer
Updates, and searches for OEM dark tint passenger slider

I am well versed now in removing the sliding window from frame, although sometimes removing the frame from the Montero is complicated due to heavy use of mastic or some other substance that won’t allow you to pop the frame out after removing clips. Hard part has been finding one with the correct tint to fit my model (dark tint).
If anyone knows of a gen 2.5 dark green/tan interior at a salvage yard let me know? Currently looking for the center console that the shifter sticks through, ash tray insert, radio/hvac trim, plastic cubby under stereo and of course passenger sliding window dark tint. May just grab a clear one from local PnP, but if I have to pay $35 for it I’d like to at least find a tinted one.
Thanks Josh

Prescott

Observer
I am well versed now in removing the sliding window from frame, although sometimes removing the frame from the Montero is complicated due to heavy use of mastic or some other substance that won't allow you to pop the frame out after removing clips. Hard part has been finding one with the correct tint to fit my model (dark tint).
If anyone knows of a gen 2.5 dark green/tan interior at a salvage yard let me know? Currently looking for the center console that the shifter sticks through, ash tray insert, radio/hvac trim, plastic cubby under stereo and of course passenger sliding window dark tint. May just grab a clear one from local PnP, but if I have to pay $35 for it I'd like to at least find a tinted one.
Thanks Josh

I dont know if some of those parts are the same at all but I have a 93 SR Green/tan. Unfortunately the windows arent tinted but if those parts will help you you can have them. Pay for shipping and they are yours.

bikerjosh

Explorer
cross over parts

@Prescott, thanks I'll let you know. For the moment still trying to find which parts are cross overs.

BTW-anyone know what other mitsubishi models use the same ashtray insert in center console.? Every Montero I have seen at salvage yards have already been liberated. Guy who broke into my monty took the whole ash tray insert since it was full of change.
Thanks

bikerjosh

Explorer
Update, tinted and installed the replacement window this weekend. Yes, removing the whole window frame is shockingly easy if it hasn't had adhesive applied to the body/frame. Hardest part was getting the window frame to flex enough to get the window in, oh and maybe trying to get the weather strip/trim back in the channel-haven't done that part yet.
IMG_0338_zpswsfuidkz.jpg

Window frame out
IMG_0342_zpsrxinc9n2.jpg

window and frame installed.

nckwltn

Explorer
Looks brand new!

I kind of figured that if someone was going to break in. Those windows would be the way.

Crummy to have to do the job though.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Quick question anyone have one of these under single din stereo cubbies floating around? Every 2.5 I come across at the salvage yards have had the double din stereo so no cubby. My buddy with a 95 SR had his cubby (swapped his unit for a double din) but his does doesn't attach in the place. This is the last part I need to restore my 2.5 Montero to it's previous glory after the break in.
IMG_0364_zpsadbcfjjv.jpg

Mounting points are in the center versus bottom or top of cubby
thanks

TheMole

Adventurer
Regarding the stereo cubby, have you looked at the montero sports? That's where I got my mine (w/ door) from, but don't remember the year. Check the link in my sig for a pic.

bikerjosh

Explorer
So the plot thickens. I thought my work to repair my truck after the break in was limited to just replacing pieces that were broken or stolen. Noticed yesterday that all accessories tied to my blue sea fuse box are not working. Note all accessories are fused but can be turned on at anytime; not tied to the car being on.

Back story, when the perps were raiding my car of everything they thought they could sell, they ripped out my powered sub. I noticed the fuse for that accessory was blown on the BS fuse box. Also the fuse on my quick disconnect negative battery term was also blown. I replaced that one, but just pulled the fuse for the sub. I checked the other accessories connected to fuse box, rear led lights, aux trans/oil fan, light bar, and bumper mounted lights. I show the fuse box getting power, and show power going to relays on the 12volt side. No other wires appeared to be cut, and grounds are still intact

The sub didn't have a relay the other items did.
So what is my problem, could the sub being pulled created a short in the system that either blew the relays for the other accessories or the toggle switches themselves or ?
Prior to break in all accessories worked.

Thanks for the help

Just realized I wrote this before my coffee was in my system. Seems like the next thing to do is pop in a new switch and try that. duh
Edit2 tried that no dice. Going to check all the fuses in the oem fuse block and see if any other are blown?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier