My latest Eurovan build "Snap Dragon"

Cole

Expedition Leader
Using the Yeti is a brilliant idea! I think I may look into doing that when I start redoing my electrical system this week. It would be way cleaner than all the crazy parts and pieces I was thinking about using.

First off let's just acknowledge the typical Gorrilla in the room....yes you can build a "more powerful" system for cheaper......if you don't account for all your labor time:sombrero:

But you can't package it as nicely and as well integrated....with warranty.

I've been running a Yeti 400 with a Boulder 90 solar panel on my Sprinter and it powers an Engel 45 fridge forever! Never drops below 80% charge and I don't have the Yeti wired to charge off the van, it's 100% fed by solar.

The unit also powers all my LED lights and charging for phones and the Maxxfan.

I think the house battery ina Eurovan goes largely to waste. It only powers the three 12v outlets and two interior lights. It also powered the cooler but nobody really uses that.

The Yeti and its display, charge controller, pure sine wave inverter are all very easy for people to understand and use.

Cole, you'd be the guy to ask, since I get dirty looks on the Samba whenever I make inquiries:

Do the Eurovan weekender sofa/bed mechanisms need latches or catches in the body (i.e. at the walls), or do they just attach to the floor? I'm always trying to figure out a better bed mechanism for my van, but haven't been able to examine a T4 styel bed up close. The Rock-n-roll mechanism is well understood, but has its issues with the geometry (plus I'm not a fan of building a wooden seat for actual passengers.)

This one looks fantastic. The colors are crazy, but it will suit someone!

Thanks!

The Eurovan rear bed has two steel latches in the van wall. They are simple steel loops and could probably be put on posts welded to the floor or seat base. The whole seat slides out from two steel rails that could be bolted to any floor.

I've got 3 of these seats here if anyone wants one��

Jb1rd

Explorer
It was in GWS of all places, the PO is a desert rat so the van has spent the majority of it's time here or the DSW!! Good to know, I really need to sort out the insulation but will probably tackle it this winter as I just want to use it until the snow flies. If I take it apart now there is a high probability that it would stay in a state of disrepair for quite sometime. I want to tackle major projects just once, wishful thinking maybe but going to do my best!!
Thanks! Being on the coffee!!

And your new project was an unexpected! Where did you find that van?(fwiw, I'm a dealer for half of your want list for that van)

Eazy

First off let's just acknowledge the typical Gorrilla in the room....yes you can build a "more powerful" system for cheaper......if you don't account for all your labor time:sombrero:

But you can't package it as nicely and as well integrated....with warranty.

I've been running a Yeti 400 with a Boulder 90 solar panel on my Sprinter and it powers an Engel 45 fridge forever! Never drops below 80% charge and I don't have the Yeti wired to charge off the van, it's 100% fed by solar.

The unit also powers all my LED lights and charging for phones and the Maxxfan.

I think the house battery ina Eurovan goes largely to waste. It only powers the three 12v outlets and two interior lights. It also powered the cooler but nobody really uses that.

The Yeti and its display, charge controller, pure sine wave inverter are all very easy for people to understand and use.

I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this question...

How do you use the yeti to power the maxxfan? There's doesn't seem to be an (obvious) way to get anything but USB or 120v power out of it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this question...

How do you use the yeti to power the maxxfan? There's doesn't seem to be an (obvious) way to get anything but USB or 120v power out of it.

??? It has +12V outputs also, both "cig lighter" socket and those plug connectors that are standard on solar panels, I think.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Yep, there are two 6mm 12v outputs, plus the cig-port, plus 2 direct to battery Anderson ports on the sides (they bypass the battery protection and theirnuse doesnt shownup on the display)

North

Observer
Love that two tone and the bold colors! Color matched bedliner looks great too - what are you using? I remember you had some issues with the product you used on your sprinter.

Care to reveal how your planning to setup the charge input (Solar+Alternator) on the Yeti? I've read the thread on charging the 400 via the alternator. Are you going to split the input or wire in a switch of some sort? Seems like a great option, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the best way to get two charge sources going without having to switch between the two manually.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Love that two tone and the bold colors! Color matched bedliner looks great too - what are you using? I remember you had some issues with the product you used on your sprinter.

Care to reveal how your planning to setup the charge input (Solar+Alternator) on the Yeti? I've read the thread on charging the 400 via the alternator. Are you going to split the input or wire in a switch of some sort? Seems like a great option, I'm just trying to towrap my head around the best way to get two charge sources going without having to switch between the two manually.

Thanks.

Goal Zero makes a plug for combining multiple input sources. My plan was just to run one input from the existing house battery charge relay and the other from the panel.

The built in charge controller should be able to control the input amount when both are inputting. With the van off, obviously only the solar will be inputting.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Still lots to do but here are some recent teasers.

28137108263_2d5ac8d6a4_c.jpg

28647317082_fa7029dc2a_c.jpg

28468284790_17cfd71f0d_c.jpg

28675100731_1475790d60_c.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Getting closer! :D

My wife made up all the CaveVan decals for the van. I built it....I get to brand it :lol:

The one on the hood and awning are in burgundy with reflective yellow fire.

28669071542_edc7cc7e22_z_d.jpg

28156816234_819d71e907_z_d.jpg

The big white with yellow fire ones on the top....reflective of course.

28774168515_17212c91b2_z_d.jpg

The owner dropped off the curtains today. I think these are an awesome touch myself. All the old classics VW campervans are usually fitted with home made curtains by the owner. So these add the funky little personal touch.

28486974600_60c5a03397_z_d.jpg

Then I whipped out the fab tools and made a steel tray for the Goal Zero Yeti to ride under the rear seat. The Yeti is replacing the house battery in this van since we lowered the driver's seat base and added a swivel to it.

The Yeti will power all the house lights, charge ports and the Engel fridge.

The yeti slides with the seat and is totally hidden with the cover plate on the seat.

28156817474_8d715fdf21_z_d.jpg

Petrolburner

Explorer
I love the CaveVan logo, especially embroidered into the seats. Really nice package overall. Surprised at the bright yellow pop up fabric though, I'd have gone with an off white to match. Is the yellow to match the reflective flames in the CaveVan logo?

Interesting about the Yeti. You say the direct 12v doesn't show up on the display? So the power drawn for the fridge doesn't show up on the display?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles