MG Metalworks Van Build

DzlToy

Explorer
:beer: :beer:

Can you take a few measurements for me whilst it's in that state?

Top of engine (or hoses, cross-over, etc) from the ground?

End of frame to fan aind end of frame to back of engine?

Cheers

mgmetalworks

Explorer
:beer: :beer:

Can you take a few measurements for me whilst it's in that state?

Top of engine (or hoses, cross-over, etc) from the ground?

End of frame to fan aind end of frame to back of engine?

Cheers

ground to top of intake horn ~ 56". I think a better measurement is the top of frame to top of intake which is more like 21"

End of frame to front edge of fan ~ 16.875"

End of frame to back of engine ~ 45"

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Being that I subscribe to the early mailer, this is of no surprise, but...

Oh yeah baby!!!! Love me some rolling chassis!!!!

Jsweezy

Explorer
He would have had it done a lot sooner if I wasn't there chatting his ear off after helping him out ha ha.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I didn't think I'd have any time to myself on Father's day but caught a break and headed out to the shop for some work...

BAM! Old engine is out! Now I have a starting point for the engine install. I have to rebuild some of the cross member that Quadvan cut away because I'll need the extra structure for the engine mounts. That's the next task now that I have access.

By the end of the week I should have my custom bellhousing adapter ring (at the machine shop now) and that means the Cummins/Allison/NV273 can be bolted together as a final assembly very soon. :)

DudeAbides

Observer
Wow, awesome! That front suspension turned out great too.

Looks like quadvan used an extended transfer case adapter instead of swapping out the tailshaft? Ended up acquiring a '13 EB with the 5.4 so I'm curious.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow, awesome! That front suspension turned out great too.

Looks like quadvan used an extended transfer case adapter instead of swapping out the tailshaft? Ended up acquiring a '13 EB with the 5.4 so I'm curious.

Yes, Quadvan has their own tailhousing adapter similar to what Quigley does for this trans.

I have lots of parts for sale...anything you need for that '13 of yours? :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Productive day of frame preparation. At this point everything that was installed by Quadvan is now gone. I had to cut out some welds of theirs and once everything was off, I'm left with this...

In my opinion, that's way more cutting than is necessary for a 4x4 conversion. I have a bunch of work to do now to rebuild the cross member to hold up to the Cummins and 1000 ft-lbs. :rolleyes: Since I have the CAD model of the frame, I'm going to cut a bunch of pieces that fit the cross member perfectly and then weld it all back together.

Started on the 55 gallon tank install today too. I had to get the old cross members cut out of the frame first though.

The new front cross member I designed was relatively easy to get into place so it's now mounted and the lift pump fits into it's spot protected by the rear axle and the tank.

The rear will take a little bit more work because CAD model I have isn't exactly the same as my frame. I have to shorten the parts I had laser'd or start over with the design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94