Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Transfer Case Shift Lever Replacement

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
I took my old shifter out but I'm not sure where the spring should be located. Currently it is all the way to the left . Away from the shift forks. Also my right side fork is back and left is foreward not like in your picture. When I put the shifter in how should the forks be lined up and where should the spring be?
Thanks

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
DirtyDC05, see the attached photo. This is the position you want it all to be when you reassemble it. The spring just kinda lays on top, up against the left (drivers side) fork, under mild tension. The left (drivers side) fork is forward.

Montero-Transfercase-spring-position.jpg

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
DirtyDC05, see the attached photo. This is the position you want it all to be when you reassemble it. The spring just kinda lays on top, up against the left (drivers side) fork, under mild tension. The left (drivers side) fork is forward.

View attachment 261375
Ok thanks, mine looked like the left and right were more foreward and back than the picture. I got it all back together and it feels so much better. It was still hard to get into 4 low but it did go . Now it goes in much easier. I did notice that the green lights went out after shifting to 4 low . When I put it back into 2hi they stayed off . They did come back on but it seems like something is causing the lights to cut in and out.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Ok so I cycled the transfer case a few times. It seems like every time I put it into 4lo all of the indicator lights go out. I'm also having trouble getting it out of 4 hi . I can shift the shifter but the transfer case stays in 4 hi also the center diff stays locked. Eventually it went back into 2 hi but it took a while. Any ideas?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Any secret here to pulling the TC lever off of the TC itself?

I removed the four bolts (left the three nuts in place immediately around the rubber boot) --- but there seems to be some kind of white sealant between the TC and the shifter surround.

The shifter surround is on there pretty damn tight, I can't seem to pull it off at the moment. Of course, it's ~30 deg F here at the moment... Maybe the sealant will separate easier with warmer ambient temperature...?

Or, is it a matter of jiggling the shift lever itself around so that it works its way loose of the shift forks and spring?

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
There is a gasket there with a hard sealant IIRC. You might have to stick a razor blade between the TC housing and lever assembly to get it to start to separate.

Bourge

I made one from a CPVC water valve. I have a hunk of HDPE but never got around to fashioning a second.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 57

All-Terrain

No Road Required
There is a gasket there with a hard sealant IIRC. You might have to stick a razor blade between the TC housing and lever assembly to get it to start to separate.

The white sealant/gasket material is a *****. It's holding everything tight. Maybe I'll have to get a heat gun on it to pull it apart. I definitely can't pull it apart as is.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
How have you guys gotten this thing to release from the housing, I hear you need to push out a round pin and that it is a bear without a press? What are you guys doing at the junk yard, taking the whole shifter and using a press at home to get the busing out?

Thanks

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How have you guys gotten this thing to release from the housing, I hear you need to push out a round pin and that it is a bear without a press? What are you guys doing at the junk yard, taking the whole shifter and using a press at home to get the busing out?

Thanks

You can easily just swap the entire assembly, no need to try to swap just the ball, there are threads with pictures showing the process.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I got my shifter out - quick question, what sort of sealant are you guys using to reseal the transfer case when installing the new shifter? Are you buying the special Mitsu sealant from the dealer or a particular kind of RTV?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I bought black RTV, although I haven't finished installing the lever yet. I figure this lever goes on very tightly anyway, with the bolts holding it in, so the RTV should do the trick. A lot of cars use paper gaskets, after all.

Also --- when you go to put yours back in, please take note of how you do it --- I am struggling with the long spring that keeps springing toward the driver's seat. I need to figure out how to keep that long spring to the right while I work the bottom of the transfer case lever back into the shift forks. Having a helluva time with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier