Little mods/upgrades/additions that make a big difference

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
I'm cheap, so are my mods :sombrero:
First was the addition of the usual USB and 12V power outlet to the doghouse of my van. I used AMP superseal connector to be able to take off the doghouse if needed.

25670004lj.jpg

Next was the tablet mount. I'm a big fan of Brodit mounts, but didn't want to buy 2 tablet mounts to use my tablet in my van and the Xterra, so I bought a couple of GoPro tripod mounts and mounted one on the back of the Brodit mount. I then used various GoPro adhesive mounts in both vehicles. I can now slide the Brodit mount in the GoPro mount, just like the camera.

10-ST%C3%9CCKE-GOPRO-Tripod-Mount-Adapter-f%C3%BCr-Hero-Video-Kamera-Go-Pro-Adapter-zu-Standard-1.jpg_640x640.jpg

25669994nk.jpg

Next thing was my aux. battery in the van. I used a cheap plastic tool box:

waterloo-pp2610.jpg

Then I put my 110Ah Banner AGM battery in there, strapped it to the box and added a few 12V and USB sockets and a small fuse panel. Connection to the van is via 35mm² cable with connectors coming out from under the drivers seat:

qc2.jpg

The battery box is mounted to the van via aircargo rails and be removed in less than a minute to use it as aux power source for my National Luna fridge outside of the van, or as a starter pack around my shop.
For starter duty I made a set of starter cables out of 20' leftover 35mm² cable with 2 clamps of an old starter cable and the same power connector I used for the van-to-aux. battery connection:

hcab001_x.jpg

I can now hook up the van, or the battery box to start another car.
Last pic is from a shop where you can buy the same idea for ~200$

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Well, there's no real wiring diagram. It's just the 35mm² coming from the connector to the positive and negative terminals and from there it's 10mm² positive and negative from the battery to the marine fuse box terminals. From there it's 1.5 and 2.5mm² to the 12V and USB terminals. Pretty straight forward.
On the van side, there's a aux battery relay that gives power from the alternator to the aux battery as soon as the engine runs and the delivers 13.4V or above. When the voltage on the engine side drops below that, the relay cuts the connection and the vans starter battery won't be drained by the fridge.

LegitRibs

The links are in my original post. The switch works by breaking the ground when the hood is shut. It requires the lights to be wired as always hot. This configuration is normal on modern vehicles. I pulled wire through the support structure of the hood. I can get pics of my routing if you need them.

Pics of the wiring would be awesome man!

GhostRing

Observer
Nice mod, but you really should tether the flashlight if mounting like that...it's asking to become a missile in a collision.

lugueto

Adventurer
I second the Quick Fist recommendation.

Even though those Maglite mounts are cheap and work nicely, they don't last very long, one of the prongs always breaks.

Plus Quick Fists are safer during a collision.

bdbecker

Adventurer
This is why I love internet forums, especially this one. Thanks for pointing that out, especially since my 9 month old daughter's car seat is right in front of the flashlight. You can kind of see it in the pic that I already installed a Raingler net because I was worried about something flying up in a collision and hitting her, but totally didn't think about the flashlight. I will be pulling it out of there until I get a fix in place - those Quick Fist clamps look like the ticket, and probably in a different spot.

wagex

Adventurer
One of the best investments I made recently was on some super thick pool noodles at Walmart to use as padding on my Gobi for my kayak. I bought several spare noodles, but there's $6 worth of noodles used. I just cut them to size, made a slit to make them pop on the crossbars, and the weight of the kayak and tension of the straps keep them perfectly seated.View attachment 347721View attachment 347720View attachment 347722

i put one along the back side of my roof rack for my fishing poles to lay on so they arent sitting there rubbing on the metal bars, pretty handy little dudes!

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I bought a $45 hitch mounted cargo rack from Princess Auto, and messed around with it a bit and clamped/bolted it on top of my wetbox on the Xterra. Voila; el cheapo roof rack mod complete.

Binksman

Observer
Probably my most used mod/accessory. Someone gave me the vice for scrap because the base was a bit knackered, so I practiced my stick welding a bit. It is ugly, but it has been used on a weekly basis as a bicycle clamp, anvil, vice, and tailgating deterrent.

IMG_6701.jpg

Binksman

Observer
Bed Helper

While not used often, this is the mod I am most thankful for when I use it. I bought the winch used and eventually wore out the original switch. The new long wires work better than the original switch, but they are constantly in danger of being pinched by the odd things that get loaded in the bed. With the right ramps, I can load just about anything I would haul in the bed.

IMG_6702.jpg

Binksman

Observer
Universal Tool- A Large Block of Wood

This addition takes up some space for sure, but also gets used weekly. In this picture my handy Universal Tool helped me turn my bed rail in to a brake press for bending a bracket I had to make away from the garage.

Wheel chock, jack extender, jack stand, step stool... so many uses. Everyone who ever asked me what to included in a vehicle tool box ends up including some version of this addition.

IMG_6700.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke