Little guy 5'

Pancake81

Also interested. Been watching them for a while. I like how small and versatile they look, although it's pretty tight inside. That being said, I love the idea of hard walls.

I also recently discovered one called the quicksilver 6 tent trailer. There are various models. Basically a tent trailer hi breed

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've been looking at the little guy 5' Rough Rider does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this teardrop.
NC_IslandRunner (Rory) has that platform in a non-RoughRider package.
I've got a 6x10 Silver Shadow with RoughRider package.

Key differences ---
1) the 5 wide fits trails better and is much easier to turn around with, back up, etc.
2) the Silver Shadow has a traditional galley with drawers, room for a big cooler or fridge, stove, etc. The regular LG platform has a big shelf.

We've had ours for a little over 5 years and love it. Here's a slideshow that's a montage of the first year:

Last edited:

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
Also, the interior height on the SS is 38" and the 5 wide is 42", a little more head room. The T@G is 47" but they cost alot more.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Thanks for the slide show, looks like fun. I've looked at the 5' and the 5-10 Silver Shadow both with the Rough Rider option which is a heavier frame, larger tires, and a complete skid plate underneath. What I wondering about is durability as compared to a SoCal teardrop. Generally a lot less money translates into a lot less of some thing. Mike

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the slide show, looks like fun. I've looked at the 5' and the 5-10 Silver Shadow both with the Rough Rider option which is a heavier frame, larger tires, and a complete skid plate underneath. What I wondering about is durability as compared to a SoCal teardrop. Generally a lot less money translates into a lot less of some thing. Mike
The RoughRider skids add torsional rigidity that a non-RR can't match without significant DIY bracing. I haven't had a single gap, crack, or rattle appear on mine.
It's screwed and glued, not stapled like an RV.

They've gotten even better since mine was built. Scott B bought one recently and they did a much better job on it. I was the learning curve for a custom build.

As for price, your comparing a small boutique builder to a large shop with an assembly line. They pump out lots of trailers, not a couple a month.
I don't kid myself that it's anywhere as sweet as a full-on custom like something from AT (I wouldn't buy from SoCal personally) but it's rock-solid and I could afford it.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
I found Scott B ' build on the forum, I think that one of these is for me. Welding the skid plate to the frame should give it a lot of rigidity and you have a point about not paying for a small shop build. Mike

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I found Scott B ' build on the forum, I think that one of these is for me. Welding the skid plate to the frame should give it a lot of rigidity and you have a point about not paying for a small shop build. Mike
Reach out to him; he likes to talk about it.
He really really really is a meticulous craftsman and he (and Laura) have put a ton of sweat into tweaking the build.

hansrober

Adventurer
Bill, Do you think there is enough room and strength on the tongue to mount a Dirt bike carrier and a small bike or scooter? I have been looking at the little guys online lately. Thanks, Dave

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill, Do you think there is enough room and strength on the tongue to mount a Dirt bike carrier and a small bike or scooter? I have been looking at the little guys online lately. Thanks, Dave
They can make one with a deck specifically for that, Dave. I've seen quite a few with a quad parked in front.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
Is the SS with rough rider package a custom build. I don't see it on their website. I was thinking of a 5 wide RR but I don't this I will fit into it being 6'5" tall.
What is the mattress size on the SS?

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Toms Camperland in Mesa AZ has one sitting on the lot along with a 5' and 6' Rough Rider among other Little Guys You are right they don't mention it In the web site, I didn't ask the salesman why or how they had it but they did.

Jeffrey_A

Observer
We have had ours about a year now. Custom order just on color. Tom's in Arizona was kind enough to slide our yellow in on a production one. Like it just fine so far. By way of understanding we have had Mortor homes, Toy Haulers, Travel Tralers, etc. Dodge 3500 / 2500 combos.

Couple of nits. Here they are:

On JK or JKU the tail gate swings out, tongue is very minor on a non extended one. The factory placement of the battery box is an issue. You cannot open the gate. Well, you can, but just a touch. Mounting a spare in a traditional format ie: on frame rails is a no go. The tire hangs down on the break over and really scrubs. The landing gear? Same deal. I had reworked mine, then recently reworked it again. Had too much weight on the tongue for my liking. Really worked on removing some of that. I removed everything from rails to eliminate scrub / drag on break over. Ended up with bed spare tire mount from ORFab. Simple weld on jack with keeper pin. Depending on the tow vehicle a front deck model may be an issue? I suspect at some point I will rip off the propane attachment for the stove on rocks. Might make a skid plate of sorts?

It has met all of our expectations so far on quality, usability, etc. It does exactly what you would expect. Tows just fine and draws a lot of looks. The issue on matching hubs / wheels was not worth the cost to me versus other options.

We have had it places where we could not turn it around and have had to disconnect, pivot 180* and reconnect. Just me and the woman in the woods. So, it is cool that it is light enough to do that. We have taken it on trails that would be "moderate" for some folks, I don't know. I do know it was us and tent campers only that far back.

Overall we like it just fine. Woman is much happier than tent camping. We have two dogs and us, the bed is, shall we say, full at night. Seriously, depending on your size, and if you have a dog or two, rent one, see how it works. Goes where we tow it to without complaint. Kind of have to plan ahead a bit on routes. If we want to go some place more challenging, we drop it, lock it and come back. I do wish it had a bit more ground clearance. Maybe someday....

I was really impressed with the rework thread on the board here. If they weren't so far from me, might send it soon. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152282-Little-Guy-Teardrop-Rough-Rider-Build

If your expectations match the trailer, you will not be disappointed.

Some pictures for you.

First day:

First trip - Width test - you cannot go here with a "6 wide." Also, you have to admire the stupid 90* grip of the set up. That or Photobucket is broken. Stupid Photobucket.

IMG_3934_zpsezrdvt64.jpg

Painted fenders black and new wheels to match Jeep, hung with that for a bit. Reworked tongue - no bueno. Reworked again.

Middle of process:

0403161144a_resized_zpssse5yise.jpg

It is 100% possible to have a face full of dog *** in a little guy. If they have gas....... Not good.

13006567_10207466934245812_5153240892221312142_n_zpsafnz3jga.jpg

Current look:
0421161622_resized_zpssghlavko.jpg

DSC04016_zps50igbc9z.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Is the SS with rough rider package a custom build. I don't see it on their website. I was thinking of a 5 wide RR but I don't this I will fit into it being 6'5" tall.
What is the mattress size on the SS?
I'm 6'5" and fit fine. The bed in my 6x10 SSRR is 68x80. I think the 5x10 is 56x80 or close ---- we took the wider platform because the wife insists on the dog being comfortable...

When I had mine built, they didn't offer a RR package on a SS. They had just started another similar build and took mine on too.
They didn't understand the offroad market and messed a few things up. Scott worked with me and fixed everything to my satisfaction though.
Scott B. benefited from my experience and had a much smoother build. His is the model to follow (he finished his though). If I could do it again I'd use elements from my build and his and make the perfect trailer.

If you order one, talk to Scott Hubble in the factory. He will liaise with you and the shop things will go smoother. Chris Baum is a very nice guy but Scott knows the nuts and bolts better.
Things like the placement of the battery box, spare, etc that Jeffrey mentioned are examples.
I have a heavy duty jockey wheel and a huge battery box by the cabin. My tailgate opens fine. Also have a receiver with lunette/pintle. Tried the Maxx Coupler several times; it pulls better but is nearly impossible to hitch on gnarly terrain ---- it sits on the floor of my garage...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles