InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There has been some discussion on this matter. If you read the tigerfoam MSDS, the only really nasty stuff is the isocyanates. Which when cured harden the foam. Once the foam cures there is a bit of off-gassing which might be dangerous if you sleep in the van with zero ventilation for the first few weeks.

After about 3 weeks, there was almost no noticeable odor in the van, even after baking in the sun with all the windows closed.

Honestly the exhaust from the diesel engine is more of a health concern IMHO. These foams do not contain formaldehyde, which was the primary concern with foams used a few decades ago.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Got most of the rear lift installed a few days ago. Have a few misc bits to finish up. Really straight forward process and easy for any DIYer to do. Good quality parts from VanCompass. Sprinter looks much better with the full lift on it now.

26247840643_6d86ec7b6b_z_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

I'd say at the moment I'm happy with the ride height. Not too tall but definitely a more balanced look/feel/function with the bigger tires.

Much taller and it would be hard to get in the sliders or back door.

Cole

Expedition Leader
A "before" picture as a reminder of the way these look stock. They are really low slung with the 25" tall tires.

11740477804_a4182028d8_z_d.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
DefinItely a big difference. The 15" wheel vans where an inch lower from the factory IIRC. It sure made the dually vans look almost ridiculous. Now all you need is 4x4 swap. :)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think that was only with the 15 inch 2500 vans - 118 inch wheelbase - except for the 2002 Freightliner vans - they were all 15 inch (I have one - a 158" WB).

Cole

Expedition Leader
Got a little more time to play with my own van today.

Installed the main part of the VanCompass engine skid plate. my brush guard interferes with it So I'm going to have to revisit this at a later date to find a way have this and a light bar/bumper co-exist. Ultimately I need a front receiver and would prefer a complete bumper replacement.

This was a super easy bold on and even having the main part only with the interference is better than not having it at all. Not sure if its my imagination but the van does seem a tad quieter going down the road and even just idling.

26982947306_de7bfdd957_c.jpg

26922231262_d015450720_c.jpg

I also took off my cargo box and added my 78" wide yakima bars and a Goal Zero Boulder 90 solar panel. Its mounted to the rack at the moment so that I can transfer it to a Eurovan if I want and also to let air flow under it to keep it cool.

26948187381_f51eb81a9e_c.jpg

Also built a new test platform for my hammocks that I make and sell. The hammocks are super HD and easily fold out of the way to carry cargo/motorcycles/etc. We carry wet paddle boards on them all summer and the water just drains through the hammock. Great to lay/sleep in on a hot day. But some people (including my wife) want a more "bed like" feel on long trips. So I made a folding wood insert and foam topper. Now it feels just like a bed at night but the foam mattress and wood insert fold away with the hammock when you want to haul gear!!! So it works as a hammock, real bed and folds out of the way entirely for gear hauling. You can see how flat the hammock looks here. Keeps the total thickness in the van down to only a few inches which maximizes the over all cargo height even with the bed in place. The picture is slightly deceptive since the foam is doubled over right now, its actually almost half as thick than the picture shows.

26948185571_057d378189_c.jpg

OtterHome

Great job! Do you have a pic of your folding wood insert? I like the idea of your hammock, but would definitely want something a little more "bed like" myself.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Finally got around to building the new floor for the van. I'll be curious to see how wel this works myself. Looks awesome inside it though.

28533752644_1c45c82cbc_z_d.jpg

My whole interior is stripped out to instal it.

29155563895_704dd3bab0_z_d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier