Overhead consoles - anyone?

DIY Guy

Observer
I dont know if Im putting this is the right place or not but Ive looked everywhere for a thread about overhead consoles and havent found anything yet. Im currently building this one, anyone else fabricating or modding existing?
IMG_20160430_175513.jpg

Louisd75

Adventurer
I dont know if Im putting this is the right place or not but Ive looked everywhere for a thread about overhead consoles and havent found anything yet. Im currently building this one, anyone else fabricating or modding existing?

I had one for a while. I liked it alot, then it got destroyed when my truck was broken into. I've got too many other projects in front of replacing it.
DSCN4344.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63521-Working-on-my-setup?p=911248#post911248

eggman918

Adventurer
This is in me '68 CrewCab along with my ceder headliner,I cannibalized a pair of Bose 201 bookcase speakers and copied the internal volume for enclosures and mounter the receiver and CB as well as 2 external speakers for CB.
100_0351.jpg

100_0131.jpg

100_0133.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Late 90s Tahoe / Subs had a real nice overhead console that could be readily adapted for radio head units and the like. Or serve as a model.

SAM_0330.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
I built a shelf from some stuff I had laying around. Just wire shelving and a bed rail cut down and bolted to my roll bar. It will hold my weight, not that I would pack that much up there, but it is sturdy.
0317174326_zpsttwo7dkc.jpg

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Interesting.... I've been pondering an overhead console for my Tacoma too. Just want a place to mount a CB, my sPod switches, and retain the interior lights, compass and temp gauge.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Check into a Highliner. Got one for my truck love it! Mounted cb and switches, has speakers and domelight. Not cheap, but works and looks great

rayra

Expedition Leader
The old skool JC Whitney catalog long had a line of overhead console for full size domestic trucks that was essentially a shelf very similar to MOGuy's basket. It bolted to the existing sun visor mount holes, the visors then transferred to the shelf. It was deep enough for CB radios, binoculars, a rifle soft case.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'm in the process of working on one myself, using a shelf visor as the base. I plan on moving switches, winch controls, and radios to this from the center console.

anickode

Adventurer
I built a shelf from some stuff I had laying around. Just wire shelving and a bed rail cut down and bolted to my roll bar. It will hold my weight, not that I would pack that much up there, but it is sturdy.
0317174326_zpsttwo7dkc.jpg

I really like that. I wonder if I could pull that off in my Colorado without it being an inch from my face? It would be easy enough to make a bracket that goes from the visor mount to the front mounting bolt on the Jesus handles...

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think you'd have to be on the shorter side of 6' for these shelves to be practical

2718623758_8ae4ccb9d8_o.jpg

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Here's the one I made for my FJ55. I didn't want the headliner anymore, so I built a roof support that bolted into the sides and made some cubby spots for different things. the whole roof got sprayed with Lizard Skin and tinted Monstaliner. Super quite now.

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 31

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Here is my little project 90% finished. Just need to wire it. Its a switch panel for my aux switches and a nice little place to stick my sunglasses where they won't go flying. I designed it in google sketchup to fit on my visor shelf. Its made of 4 pieces of ABS plastic I had printed up on a 3D printer. Came out great. All the screw holes matched up perfectly. Now I just need to wire it all up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OverheadConsole.jpg
WP_20160629_17_16_42_Pro.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles