The "Az Crew" Thread

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Yikes, you're making me worry about my KM2s! What tire have you found to be a better replacement?

I have yet to try anything else, don't get me wrong, km2's seem to do well with traction, dry or wet. They just don't hold to the abuse on sidewalls, also tread blocks chunk really bad, at least mine and several others I've seen do, but then again, we have some pretty sharp rocks here.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Johnny, is the GoPro mounted on top of your rig or inside?

On top, suction cup mount, centered and maybe six inches back from the edge of the windshield. The angle can be adjusted at the mount and it can be switched from the "medium" point of view I use to the really wide angle "super view" that's kind of like fish-eye from the smarty-phone app they provide. There are a lot of different settings in the camera app, but I tend to leave it on 1080p at 60 fps for recording; You Tube really chokes the quality down, as the raw footage is incredibly good for a camera that's not much bigger than a Playskool block. It eats up my desktop hard drive space and I need a bigger one for storing all this data. Big thanks to Hope for getting me the camera for a gift.

Removed my 95's bumper this afternoon. Those jokers at Mitsubishi made it really funny-haha-like to get the bumper ends off by burying one bolt inside the welding-form of the center section and we had to drill a hole through the top of the bumper to reach it on both sides. Got it without too much hassle, though. Looking forward to seeing what Toasty and IncX have for a replacement solution for these oft-bent parts on the front bumper/Gen 2/end pieces. Let me know what up-front contribution I need to make...

HoseB's radiator has been removed. That's all we've done toward getting access to the broken crank bolt. I found my left-handed drill bits and the E-Z Outs, but I'm thinking we're eventually going to need that Time-Sert kit as well, Paj. My experience with a broken crank bolt was "trying."

John B.

Bottomfeeder

Observer
Removed my 95's bumper this afternoon. Those jokers at Mitsubishi made it really funny-haha-like to get the bumper ends off by burying one bolt inside the welding-form of the center section and we had to drill a hole through the top of the bumper to reach it on both sides. Got it without too much hassle, though. Looking forward to seeing what Toasty and IncX have for a replacement solution for these oft-bent parts on the front bumper/Gen 2/end pieces. Let me know what up-front contribution I need to make...

John B.

I look forward to seeing your bumper. I have a guy out here who will CNC cut a bumper design and weld it for a reasonable price. He says he needs a precisely measured drawing. what does that even mean?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
He means it needs to be a correct blueprint unless you want your pieces made the exact size of your drawing.

lordtrunks

camp loser
Anyone good with making video's for youtube? I've started uploading the videos from the sierra challenge and i'm just not feel it when it comes to cutting editing these videos so i've started just uploaded them and turning the sound off since you can't hear much but me setting the gopro down.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I haven't figured out how to really use the GoPro Studio software yet, so I'm not any use there. About all I've been able to do is convert them, really take up a lot of space on my hard drive and then upload them to You Tube.

Jorge and I went to San Diego and back on Sunday, picking up a 1999 Montero Winter Package with 163K on the clock for him. It has the timing belt already done within the past 20K with all Mitsu parts and the guy used to work at a dealership for 7 years, so he was really fanatical about using everything genuine triple diamond. It's in really nice shape and gave us no problems getting home. First thing up, we're ordering a new back gate latch (broken), slathering on leather conditioner (seats aren't cracked at all) and layering on wax to keep the paint as nice as possible. I think Jorge just wants to put his 33's on it, get the included sliders mounted and keep it pretty much stock for a DD and for camping, since his 89 SWB is pretty beastly. It was a long day, with 12 hours of driving, but it was fun.

I painted the chrome center section of my bumper black after mostly straitening out the metal. The Krylon Dual paint works well on top of adhesion promoter primer, but we'll have to see how well it lasts. Also repainted the brush guard and next will be painting the white metal under the headlight area to match. Probably going to pull the rear bumper off to redo that as well, since it's been a few years since that was done. Good times.

John B.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I love blacked out front ends. My wagon, mighty max and power stroke all have that done.

Congrats to Jorge on the new 99! We should line all three of them up next to each other.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Post up pics of the new '99!

I can donate some Challenge videos too if needed.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Congrats Jorge, sounds like you found a gem! PS - pretty funny how 33s are considered mild street tires in this forum haha.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Tell Jorge he might want to follow those 33's up with 4.63's. Those gen 2.5's got short changed on the gearing. I dropped from 33 to 31 and almost doubled my mpg. If he doesnt care then that's his call but I figured he'd want to know before he does it. I'll probably talk to him about it next week when I see you guys.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Congrats Jorge, sounds like you found a gem! PS - pretty funny how 33s are considered mild street tires in this forum haha.

I think it's funny the other platforms have to do so much work just to fit a 33! when a 37" tire fits with very little modification you know you're doing it right.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
A 50% hit in MPG going from 31" to 33" tires? This I have to see. I understand that the 97+ platform is geared incorrectly for larger tires, and even my 95 would benefit from going to 4.88's with the 35's I'm running, but that particular statement has me wondering what else is going on.

Got the front end of my 95 blacked out today after work; thanks HoseB and Jorge! Need to reassemble the front bumper/grill guard and remount it and that part is done.

Helped (a little) to get Jorge's 99 washed off from the trip home, then with the sun fading, saw some wax soak into the paint with Jorge's efforts.

We're planning on a little camping this weekend. The destination is south of Sedona, north of Cottonwood and along Oak Creek. Any takers?

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles