Tires on Gen 3 - What are you running, how is the noise

plh

Explorer
Going to be shopping for tires again for my '05 soon. Picked up a set of 25th anniversary wheels that will get the new rubber mounted. Planning on either 265/75R16 or 285/75R16. I'm pretty particular about the noise factor on this chassis. We currently have BFG AT T/A KOs on it. 235s are too narrow for this truck in my opinion. Noise factor of the BFGs is acceptable, wouldn't want anything louder. I'm intrigued by Cooper A/T3 123R series. Anybody running these on a Gen 3 that can comment? Other recommendations? Planning to head east to NY in mid-May and to Moab in July both trips pulling a 3K lb trailer thus the load range 123R (E). Also thinking about re-gearing to 4.90s especially for the trip west.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Cooper ST/Maxx

For a solid MT/AT hybrid, the noise factor is fine IMO.
I too prefer a bit wider tire on the Gen. III, so I'm running 265/75 on the stock 16 rims.
Since you are also towing a trailer, the Coopers (E load) will work very well!
These are very tough, and an excellent all around tire.

plh

Explorer
Cooper ST/Maxx a solid MT/AT hybrid

Thanks for the Cooper vote. This truck sees way too many highway miles for a MT/AT hybrid type tire. Previously had Falken WildPeaks on it. WAY too loud on this monocoque Gen 3 chassis... and totally silent on my Gen 2.

evol911

Observer
265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer AT's on my wifes 2003. When they were new they were great. There is more road noise now than I like but my wife doesn't mind it. I can definitely tell when she is coming down the road. Its not bad just louder than my 94 SR that has 235/85-16 E load Cooper Discoverers. I really like the Coopers and will most likely get them again when its time. Probably go for a wider tire next time though.

KyleT

Explorer
Pathfinder at's. Noisy and rough imo. 17's OEM size. Flat spot Ashly when parked over a few hours and takes a good 20 mins to smooth out.

Can't remember the ones on the 03 but they are pretty worn.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I have cooper st maxx in 265 75 16. They have some noise, but really tolerable in my opinion. Great tire off road. Soon I will be re gearing to 4.90 as well and probably will go to 285 75 16 tire.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
What's loud to you? I know I'm driving a Gen 2 but I've driven on a lot of different tires. I'd say for an inexpensive quiet tire I like the Yokohama Geolander A/T, Don't let the price fool you it's a far better tire than oh say "Falken A/T" and I will say they are a fair bit quieter than the old Toyo A/T (and these guys know how to make a quiet smooth tire) although I can only compare a 31" Yoko to a 35" Toyo A/T so there may be a curve.

Gibby92

Grabber AT2's on mine. I can hear them between 30-45 mph which I heard is pretty common with the AT2's. Otherwise I've been happy with the noise level. I believe they are an E load tire but I keep mine around 35psi to keep the ride nice. Snow traction is excellent. My tires are 265/75/r16 and have about 5,000 miles on them.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Cooper ST/Maxx

For a solid MT/AT hybrid, the noise factor is fine IMO.
I too prefer a bit wider tire on the Gen. III, so I'm running 265/75 on the stock 16 rims.
Since you are also towing a trailer, the Coopers (E load) will work very well!
These are very tough, and an excellent all around tire.

Are y'all talking about 10 ply tires on a Montero ?

KyleT

Explorer
Fwiw "plys" don't much matter on radials anymore.

Anyone run the dueler Revos anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdj

Observer
Grabber AT2's. About 15,000 miles. Great snow traction. Took a lot weight last time on balance & rotate.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Are y'all talking about 10 ply tires on a Montero ?

...wouldn't run anything less than an LT with a 3 ply sidewall.

There are many tires that have solid performing tread patterns with 2 ply sidewalls.
If you run enough off-highway miles, these are inadequate in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles